“Easter Brunch”

Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: City busing stops less than a block from our establishment.
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

At best I would rate it as so so.... The prime rib was fair and service staff were friendly enough. The staff do herd all the groups with children out of the main dining room into a separate area. This was a strange way to treat the majority of customers on a traditional family brunch time. What really upset me was they charge an automatic 18% tip and the only thing the server did was fill my glass with water once. How can anyone have the cheek to charge that much when is a buffet!!!!!

Reviewed 17 February 2017

My wife and I made our first visit to Grand Cru for Valentine's Day. We had reservations; but surprisingly the restaurant was not especially busy. Though we were about 15 minutes early, we were seated immediately. Our server was a very nice young man who had just started that day. He did a very good job; although could not offer suggestions on the menu due to his newness. My wife ordered a glass of wine and I tried one of the craft beers that were on tap at the beautiful, spacious bar. Both were very good. We started with an appetizer of Crab Rangoon which was very tasty. My wife had the Prime Rib and I had the "bone in" Angus Beef Filet. Both entrees were very good. We did not have dessert as we had chocolate covered strawberries at home calling our name. The Grand Cru is a bit of a "throw back" restaurant which was fine with us. Some may not necessarily go for this type of ambience; but we thought it was nice. There is a Old Nostalgia shop on the premises which appeared to offer cigars and spirits. We walked through just to check it out. All in all, we would recommend the Grand Cru for a nice dinner establishment.

Reviewed 9 January 2017

We were looking for a place for a birthday dinner. Several well-known places nearby were noisy and crowded. We ended up at Grand Cru. The atmosphere was quiet, the waiter was superb, and the menu selection was excellent for a variety of tastes.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

I had the opportunity to dine here recently with a group and it was a pleasant experience.

Specifically, the beef cut I had was cooked to order and was just perfect. Asparagus was undercooked. Mashed potatoes are hard to get wrong. The dessert was very tasty. The majority of our group was thrilled with their dinners (except for undercooked asparagus all around).

We had a variety of different beverages: wines, mixed drinks, etc. and all were fine and kept full.

The wait staff was very attentive to our needs, but not overly so, with two servers managing our group. Everyone was well taken care of without any needs ignored.

Pricing here is not inexpensive.

Reviewed 23 November 2016

One of the great things about having your wedding anniversary on Thanksgiving week is that you don’t have to worry about a crowded restaurant. And you get some wonderful service.

Such was the case when we decided to try out the Grand Cru Restaurant for this year’s anniversary. And it was probably one of the best choices we have made for a restaurant. There was so little wrong with everything, we had to quibble on things. Dollar for dollar, you can’t go wrong with Grand Cru – the only caveat is that some people won’t like it. Not us.

Grand Cru is an old-style supper club – you enter to a lot of display cases, wood, and memorabilia. There’s a liquor and cigar store run by the restaurant near the parking lot, so you walk over to the middle of the building to get to the restaurant proper. To the right is a large bar and lounge, with basically EVERY LIQUOR AVAILABLE behind the bar. To the left is a smallish restaurant space. When we arrived, there were two couples there. We were greeted by Tyler, the General Manager and ‘mixologist’ who was doing triple duty as wait staff for the evening. We were seated near the blazing (gas) fire, nice and warm.

The menu is quite diverse – a combination of American and Mediterranean – style dishes. The wine menu is also good; considering there are magnums of wine all over, and a plate glass window with the wine cellar in plain sight. We settled on an antipasto plate, split a house salad (told it was large), the sea bass special, and osso bucco. Tyler was nice enough to bring us samples of the wines we were thinking of; we chose a good merlot and a chardonnay.

Waiting for the appetizer, we looked around. The reason I said at the beginning that people might not like it is that some might feel it’s stuffy – wood (although light), drapes, jazz on the speakers (medium level, not too loud), and the wine bottles in cases. It’s very much an older vibe, but it hearkens back to the old days when people would dress up to go out to dinner. Here, a polo and a pair of slacks would be fine. The lounge (I checked it out) is complete with a red felt pool table and nice seating.

The antipasto plate is HUGE – enough for four people. Three cheeses, three meats (the salami is local), and marinated olives with a feta garnish in a martini glass – and some of the BEST marinated olives we’ve tasted. All this is served with warm pita triangles. We ended up taking half of it home – it would be great on its own with a couple of martinis. The house salad, as we were told, is enough to share – a nice snap of red bell pepper complemented the feta peppercorn dressing.

The entrees were wonderful – the osso bucco fell right off the bone, and the sea bass had crawfish on top with the roasted vegetables. Everything was well seasoned, and if we had to quibble, my wife said the pork might have been a bit too salted. I didn’t think so; it had a great flavor. Our side of lobster mac n’ cheese was fantastic – bowtie pasta, creamy cheese sauce, and bits of lobster (maybe not enough?) with a panko crust. The sea bass was a bit small, but had plenty on it to make up for it. The wines chosen went extremely well with the entrees.

When I called for reservations, I made a point to mention it was our anniversary – most places will say that’s nice and forget about it. However, Grand Cru said at the time of the reservation that they’d comp dessert. Tyler wished us a happy anniversary when we entered, and we were given our choices of desserts. We chose the Mediterranean Brownie and the Bananas Foster cheesecake, and both were delicious. Something to mention is their spirits menu – quite reasonably priced and an amazing selection. At least fifty scotches!! We were surprised that not only did they comp our desserts, but they also comped our drinks as well! Even if they hadn’t, we would have eaten for under $120 – which is even more amazing considering the amount of food and the quality. We took enough home for another meal.

All in all, this was the most enjoyable dinner we have had in our two and a half years in Columbia. If you want a taste of the good life, excellent food, and great service, Grand Cru is the place to go. We will definitely come back soon!

1  Thank FroggyHawk