“Prime Angus Burger- Oh Yeah!”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Des Peres
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Manchester and 270
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips. The cozy atmosphere includes rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open daily for dinner & lunch. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stopped in with some business associates and ordered the Prime Bacon Cheddar Burger. Outstanding taste and grilled to perfection. I ordered Medium Well with just barely some pink-still juicy. The petite fries were good too. But, the Pretzel Crusted Onion Rings stole the show for me. Be sure and order some for your appetizer and they won’t last long. Nice dining room and service is great. I’ll be back!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went there before the blues games. Had the ribs and they were really good with the corn and green beans. Salary was also very good. Little expensive but plenty to eat.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

We went there for my birthday dinner, as a repeat customer, but found the food and service was not as good as prior visits. The waitress would disappear at various times and when around would not look our way. We ordered glasses of wine with our dinner order, but the entrees were delivered without any wine. It takes 20 minutes to cook steak - so don't understand the delay. It took about 5 minutes after food to get any wine - or 25 minutes to get a glass of wine. Unfortunately the steaks were not tender at all. The server was very folksy oblivious of any of the problems. She tried to sell me a desert which came with my price fix menu ordered. Overall needs some training. We talked to the manager who promised to take care of the problems when we visit next time - but that will likely be quite a while.. It's unfortunate as we have dined there many times and the service and steaks were good. We saw 3 tables having service problems - so it's obviously declined in the past 4 months.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

We were in town and chose J. Gilbert's for our anniversary dinner. I wish we had gone somewhere else as the evening was a disappointment.

We chose a booth by the wall that separates the main dining room from the bar and that was a big mistake. The bar was very loud and their are tables on the other side of the wall from us with people talking loudly too. Choose the bigger booth's at the back of the restaurant.

Our waiter Joseph was good at first but then seem to be gone for long periods of time. Appetizer and salads came out quickly and then from there things went to a snails pace. I read today another post that said steaks came out rare so did ours. We requested Medium. How do you have cooks that can't get it right at a steakhouse? We sent it back and again it came back rare, did they cook it at all? So it had to go back a third time. This is a big downer when it's your anniversary. So while we were waiting for the third try, we discussed our dessert choice with Joseph, and guess what? A girl brought it to us before we had even gotten our third time steak! Total fail on communicating!

Unlike another reviewer, we did get a card that said Happy Anniversary and we could have a free dessert. Well I'm sure these are written up in advance but don't you think your hostess could write our names on the envelope at least to personalize it a little? Very impersonal. My husband asked if I was going to take it and I said why? It says nothing about us, I'm sure they can reuse it for the next couple. Another fail.

Loud restaurant, steaks that are sent back again and again. and lacking anything special for a special occasion. So choose another place.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

I had dinner here with my girlfriend and we were delighted. The food was all delicious and well prepared. The service was second to none. I'll be going back!