“Best roast beef sandwich I've had in years”

Grassi's Ristorante & Deli
Ranked #6 of 12 Restaurants in Frontenac
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Deli, Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Its original location was on "the Hill" and served the local community from the corner of Kingshighway and Potomac. In 1976, Grassi's opened its second location in what was then "West County" on the southwest corner of Route 66 (Lindbergh) and Conway. A few years later, Grassi's third location was opened in the "Central West End" along Euclid. The original location and the third location have been closed for many years. The second location has endured "the test of time" and is thriving amongst the lively "midtown" communities of - Frontenac, Creve Coeur, Olivette, Westwood, Huntleigh, and Ladue. In 1996, Grassi's second location moved from the corner of Lindbergh Blvd and Conway to its current niche at 10450 German Blvd. Over the past 40 years, Grassi's has had five different owners - Frank Grassi ("the Hill"), Jerry Watts (Central West End), Vito Agnello ('76 - '93), Glen Pariani ('93 - '12), and Frank Dyer ('12 - present). Grassi's unique location has it surrounded by many of St. Louis' most recognized private high schools - St. Joseph's Academy, MICDS, Chaminade, Villa Duchesne, CBC, and John Burroughs. In addition, Grassi's proudly serves the many employees of Monsanto's World Headquarters. Grassi's menu is simple Italian and the service is fast. Grassi's cafeteria style lay-out could arguably be the original Italian "quick service restaurant". The Italian salad and hot ham and beef sandwich ("House Special") are memorable and the most popular menu items. The dressings, sauces, meatballs, and roast beef are all made fresh from original family recipes. Grassi's proudly maintains its "from the Hill" roots. Our bread is baked daily by Joe Fazio's Bakery, our pizza shells are fresh from Vitale's Bakery, our cheesecake and "gooey butter cakes" are baked locally, and when available, we buy our produce from local farmers. Grassi's is a constant in an ever-changing world!
Reviewed 30 October 2017

While visiting with friends in St. Louis I lamented the fact that the place I used to get a really great au jus french dipped roast beef sandwich was closed. Just like the good old days my best friend said she knew where we should go and I wouldn't be disappointed. Indeed, we were delighted! It isn't easy to find this place, but people do, for one reason, the food is great. You have a cafeteria type line and if you order something on the menu that requires preparation you are give a number. and the order is brought to you. My sandwich was on a fresh, real baguette with pink tender slices of just carved beef, not the tough junk soaking in gravy that most places serve. I was told everyone's meat ball sandwiches, pizza, salads and pasta were all great too, but I didn't even ask for a sample. Too busy devouring my own order.

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

We needed somewhere to eat on our route going West, and Grassi’s was perfect! We called ahead to pick up our order and it was ready in about 15 minutes! We got a delicious pizza, small salad, 5 pieces of toasted ravioli and garlic bread for only 30$ Excellent food and great decorations!

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Great food and fast service every time! This Italian restaurant, deli provides delicious food with a variety of options. I particularly like the meatball sandwich with Italian salad. My husband likes the Vito special with ham, beef, and cheese.

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

Front staff was so nice. Salad girl could not have been more pleasant. Older lady taking pizza and sandwich orders was very funny. Pizza was unique and delicious. Awesome sauce. I will be back.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Awesome sandwiches, esp the meatball and the house special(ham,roast beefs,cheese on hot butter-garlic italian bread)---comes with a good simple but really tasty salad---we always split a sandwich and get a second salad----go thru a short cafeteria-style line with super friendly servers. Toasted ravs and pizzas also good. Meat sauce with meatball sandwich delicious.