“Pretty good authentic mexican food”

Luna Azteca Mexican Grill
Ranked #204 of 1,506 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

Decided to go out for dinner tonight and to forego our usual mexican place to try something new.
Luna Azteca is located in an upscale strip mall near several new apartment buildings.
We arrived before 6pm on a Saturday and we're promptly seated. However as the night wore on a waiting queue developed, so arrive early or expect a small wait.
The decor is nothing special, but is tasteful. Ceilings are high which contribute to increased noise inside the dining area. Seating was comfortable, with plenty of space between tables.
Chip and salsa, as with most mexican resturaunts were delivered as we were seated. Thumbs up to their salsa, chunky and very good!
I tried a chicken dish and it was very good, and while I'm not a fan of cooked peppered, the stuffed pepper was the highlight of the dish. The burrito my wife had was of good size, but she was not impressed with the refried beans. She stared they were weak and watery.
Portion sizes were average, and unless you have a big appetite, you will need a box. Prices are moderate for food. I felt the price for a draft was a bit high and a Margarita was expensive, with little or no alchol.
No problems with the wait staff, although the food was a little slow.
Good place for a family meal or even large parties, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first date or intimate meal.
We'll definitely try it again to see if we can find a favorite dish.

Reviewed 24 December 2016

In walking distance of relatives home so we thought we would check it out. Service was slow and not overly friendly. Food was a bit cold and very bland. I enjoy Mexican food and know in the Kansas City area one could do much better. I don't recommend.

Reviewed 7 December 2016

Yes the service is very good, especially the chips & salsa...kept replenished all night!! Taco Tuesday tacos.....ehhhhh....not overly impressed with the fried beef tacos for $1.50 each. Not greasy (good!) not very warm (bad!) and just kinda "plain" . Their table sauce was good with a little kick (Good!) but mine had almost a whole tomato in the bowl (Bad!). HOWEVER!!!!! Their Ceviche appetizer was WONDERFUL!! ORDER THIS!!!!! Bartenders were very nice, beer was cold. I'd just rate average...

Reviewed 2 December 2016 via mobile

One of our favorites for taco Tuesday. Food is great - margaritas are yum and service is always stellar!

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

We love this place. If your so over the homogenized Mexicans from On the border and the like this place will really satisfy. My favorite is the chicken tamales.