“A real let down”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 12 December 2020

So we've made it back to KC after spending five years traveling the country. To be clear, KC is not the best town for Mexican food, but Ponak's had always been the exception to the rule for us. It had been our favorite Tex-Mex place for many years.

Five years later, not so much.

To start with a compliment or two, they are doing a great job with Covid. Lots of space between tables, paper menus, plastic silverware, and so on. Also, if you're a fan of salsa that is really hot, theirs is the best around. You have to ask for the hot though, and the mild is so mild you'd swear a chile had never been within ten feet of it.

But the entrees made us wonder if we were in the right place. I had a pork burrito. Debbie had a different burrito and an enchilada. Plenty of cheese and fillings in both, but the red sauce was terrible. Like mild red enchilada sauce from a can. Everything used to be so flavorful. Now it's miserably bland. If we ever go back I'll give the verde sauce a try. It used to be really spicy. Now I'm kind of worried.

The service was hit and miss. When she was taking care of us everything was fine. But she would disappear for long periods, sometimes when we wished she had been around.

It was so good for so long, but either our tastes have changed since we left or it's gone far downhill. I can't say I recommend it much.

Date of visit: December 2020
Write a reviewReviews (213)

Reviewed 27 October 2020

I used to come here all the time when I lived in KC. Now, have to drive up from Dallas. I can't put my finger on it but this place is just DAMM good. Period. Terrific house margarita's; great salsas (why can't I buy this in a grocery store??); friendly and efficient staff. Enchilada's----my almost always go-to. And the blanco queso dip. Freaking bowl-licking good. I can't say enough about this place. If you're in KC and on the Boulevard, stop in here. Yes, there are so many Mexican restaurants that are good in the area, but there's just something special about Ponak's.

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank midwstgirl
Reviewed 5 September 2020 via mobile

First, the good which was the pork burrito. The pork is moist and yummy. The margaritas were strong. The chips are served warm but are thick and heavy. They don’t taste house made and I was not a fan of their salsa. My friend and I ate and talked a long time yes, but there were empty tables around us. The waitress asked us to leave as there was a wait although I didn’t see anyone waiting to be seated. Seriously though not the best Mexican food when there are many around this location.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 12 February 2020 via mobile

The food here is excellent. Was a little crowded at the entry due to how busy they were. Wait staff was very friendly.

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank brste1
Reviewed 25 December 2019

My husband and I are retired blue hairs. Don’t eat out too much but must, have to go to Ponaks once a week. 40 miles round trip. Chili burritos and a picture of margaritas. Doesn’t get any better.

Date of visit: December 2019