“Convenience was the only perk”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 28 September 2015

At the rate charged, I expect a room to be in great shape and very few (if any) flaws. It's also disappointing to be nickeled and dimed to death for every little thing. Wifi is a minimum of $10 a day and there is no place to get it free (even the Westin across the way has it for free in the lobby and lounge). The Spectators Lounge inside the hotel is a 1-star place with huge issues including serving cold food that no health inspector would ever pass.

-My first shower was taken in lukewarm water because it would never heat up (subsequently I let the water run for about 10 minutes and it was then adequate)
-The room had several maintenance issues including grout missing around the shower and the pipes rattling for the entire duration of the shower.

Around 3pm on Saturday afternoon, someone was pounding upstairs. I tried to call the front desk since I was trying to talk to someone about business on the phone but no one answered.

The only real thing I can recommend the Sheraton for is convenience. Having the expo downstairs, I was able to freely roam to/from it to my room to conduct business or just relax. The sky bridge to Crown Center was handy but the sunlight easily overcame any air conditioning provided (it must be miserable during peak summertime).

I would probably stay there again if the expo returns but other than that, I'll never stay here again. Quite frankly, I'd be embarrassed to be the manager of this hotel knowing these issues and continuing to charge such exorbitant rates.

Room Tip: Go someplace else
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Jim S, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2015

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I sincerely apologize that your stay was less than perfect due your guestroom amenities and our Spectators restaurant failing to exceed your expectations. We truly value your business and it would mean a lot to our team to welcome you back to create a more positive stay in the future.

Reviewed 27 September 2015 via mobile

Hotel appearance nice: rooms clean, beds comfortable, hotel staff not overly friendly.

Other than that, for the size of the complex which is totally owned by the Hallmark card company, the facilities in the hotel were very limited . One RESTRAUNT and bar, which I reviewed as a 1 star, and one kind of terribly overpriced Starbucks coffee bar.

Would not recommend this place in the middle of "hallmark land" to anyone! Will never return!!

Starbucks bar which whose personnel was less than friendly

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I sincerely apologize that our hotel amenities failed to meet your expectations during your stay with us. We truly value your business and it would mean a lot to our team to welcome you back to create a more positive stay in the future.

Reviewed 24 September 2015 via mobile

I liked everything but parking at this place. Rooms are great, the lounge was top notch but getting in and out was a drag. I even enjoyed walking around the area but I choose not to stay here again because of the parking garage, you have to sign a ticket with your room # and being in a hurry to leave is out of the question

Stayed: August 2015
Jim S, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2015

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I sincerely apologize that your stay was less than perfect due to the issues you encountered with our parking garage. We truly value your business and it would mean a lot to our team to welcome you back to create a more positive stay in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2015

I have stayed here before and I do get reimbursed for my hotel and fees (but it is your tax dollars) and it is nice to stay close to the conference being held. It is also my tax dollars and I like to be as conservative as possible.
However there is no better service, better bed or eating at this place for other hotels in the area for the price. It also always brought me that many places provide internet at NO COST and they charge 9.95 per day.
However good service is a big plus here. They are always friendly, willing to help in anyway and rest assured if they say it will be done it is!
I guess I am just getting grumpy

Room Tip: you can get a great view of many direction of KC and you just ask and they will help you get the bes...
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff provided you with everything you needed for a comfortable and relaxing stay. We strive to create as comfortable and convenient a stay as possible and it means a lot our team was able to meet these expectations. Your business is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 21 September 2015

We recently traveled to Kansas City to watch the Chiefs Vs. the Broncos. It was a surprise trip for my husband who was turning 50 and loves football. We only stayed two nights and didn't arrive until almost midnight on our first night. Because we had a late departure flight and I had booked a 10:00 massage on our departure date, we asked for a late check-out. "Anthony" I believe his name was, was very helpful and took care of that special request with no push back. I know it's hard for hotels to accommodation that request, but he did it without question. We were away from the hotel most of the next day exploring, but had booked the massage for the day of our return. Massage you say? It doesn't show as an offering on their website. I had called the hotel to ask what they would recommend close by for this service. Then they told me they had one in the hotel and transferred me to the person in that area. She needed to call me back to confirm they could do two massages at once, and let me know that they were located in the hotel fitness area. 10 minutes to appointment time, we went down the elevator to the fitness area but clearly there was no massage place in there. Wandering around, we bumped into Matt Jackson (believe that's his name), who was an executive at the hotel. He let us know that the massage facility was in their sister hotel, the Weston. He called the place, and let them know we had gotten lost, asked to have our appointment bumped and then walked us to the skybridge and gave us directions to the facility. I am a student and fan of great customer service and it's rare these days to find it. I was very impressed with how he handled this situation and also how Anthony handled our request.
On to the massages...don't let the facility fool you. You walk through the exercise equipment to go into a room that is average. Nice table, low lighting, music, etc. Robin was my masseuse and asked me some questions in advance. I typically don't like deep tissue massage, but she helped me decide it was what I needed and assured me it wouldn't hurt. This was the BEST MASSAGE I'VE EVER HAD. My husband indicated the same, and we've had our share of experiences! I was quoted $75 for the massage over the phone, but when we arrived, they charged us $90. I think this is another indication that this service is under utilized and therefore they don't have staff readily available, or a clear system for the process. Because the massage was so great, I happily paid it and we were on our way.
The room itself was very nice and clean. Hotel - you need smaller coffee filter packets for the coffee machine though. The ones you currently have are way too big and they make a huge mess. As a mom who advocates coasters constantly, I could hardly stand that coffee spilling out everywhere, and onto the wood trim.
We didn't use any of the other facilities, but could see the pool from our room. The plan had been to sit poolside after our massage, but alas, it rained that day. We did enjoy the Starbucks in the lobby, and looked at some of the restaurants, which appeared nicely done. If we go back to KC, we'll stay there again....and get another massage!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Jim S, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2015

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of the fabulous amenities our hotel as to offer. We strive to create as comfortable and convenient a stay as possible and it means a lot our team was able to meet these expectations. Your business is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!