“Slipping Since Last Vist”

Marina Grog & Galley
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Scheduled a 1900 reservation for our youngest 18th Bday celebration. Table was not ready at 1900, said the previous group was on dessert, so should not be to long. As we were not in a hurry I headed to the bar for drinks for the group of 5. We waited about 10 minutes before a kind waitress made the bartender aware of our wait, Jared (according to the receipt) came over a bit later and took drink order twice, once verbally then came back with pen and paper. He seemed perturbed to be taking a walk up drink order. Only one bartender on duty during prime time dinner hour seemed a bit odd, maybe that's why his attitude was sour. Drinks served, paid for and headed back to the front to wait a bit. about 20-25 after the hour we were seated (not an issue - again we were planning a long dinner), had a great view of the lake and enjoyed the location of the table. Deanna was our waitress and she grabbed our drink orders. We were undecided on the appetizers so she returned later for the order. Once appetizers were under way she came back in and took our dinner order. My was a bit complex as I enjoy fresh snapper, but preferred it to be blackened, she checked with the chef and he took care of it. Food was excellent, we had the lobster / crab pasta and cheese, and the crab dip with pita to start. Two filets, one KC strip, one walleye and my snapper came out perfect. I also tried the special soup ($10 up charge) of crab / corn chowder, it was tasty, bit of a stretch for $10 but good. As I had made a trip to the bar ahead of dinner, we ended up with only two soft drinks, two appi's, 5 entree's that came to $305 before tip. Service from Deanna was good, a bit off as she seemed to have to many tables, but when she was able to give us the attention it was personable. We hoped for her to get a snap shot of the table to commemorate the 18th BDay dinner but she just got to busy, I did not ding her tip for her busyness as the food came out perfect and she did the best she could. I recommend the place, but it did slip a bit on this visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

First time visiting this restaurant. Service was slightly less than average. Server gave us drink menu but never followed before, during, or after our meal if we would like to order a beverage. We would have.

Server also never followed up on our meals until we were almost done. Other staff delivered the meal. Water was constantly filled but that staff person didn't speak at all.

For the price per plate food was just average.

We weren't allowed seating outside by water but they had seated several people after us outside. Not sure if we were to request that in the reservation. If that's the case if would have been nice to have that choice when we called.

Disappointing experience.

Reviewed 17 July 2017

Horrible customer service! My friends and I had dinner reservations for July 15, 2017 at 7pm. We were all very compliant with the rules of moving to the lower deck of the restaurant because only 1 out of 8 of us ordered an entree (which we were not aware of until after our waiter (Tom) took our orders and whispered to another staff member that we only ordered appetizers and drinks). We were then approached by another staff member that told us she might have to move us because again only one of us ordered an entree (The Snapper). We explained to her that we tried to order two but of one of the dishes were unavailable. She told us that specific dish (The Lobster &Chicken Roulade) shouldn't be ordered anyway because "it's not that good", and that she understands and will check with the owner about moving us. The owner (Jack) rudely approached our table saying he will have to move us to the lower deck, which we were all fine with until he tells us that the person who ordered the entree (The Snapper) would have to order something else or receive the entree as an appetizer, with smaller portions and pay full price for the dish. We requested if we can just all have our checks for the drinks, pay, and leave. The owner refused to let us leave and continued to argue with us. He told us that we made dinner reservations and only entrees should have been ordered not appetizers. We told him we did not receive any of that information from our waiter Tom, or from the staff member over the phone when making our reservations. Jack stated that "The food is being cooked and that we will have to sit, eat and pay for it". We continued to ask for our checks and after being denied and demanded that we stay multiple times, my friend who made the reservations decided to call the police because the owner was holding us against our will. While waiting for the police to arrive, Jack comes back to our table and decided to have our waiter bring our checks for the drinks and let us leave. He insulted our table by saying "I hope you guys really pay for your drinks and tip the waiter." Which paying for our drinks and leaving was our original request when he first approached our table. After the police arrived Jack argued with the officer and my friend stating that he DID NOT demand us to stay, and pay for food that was not served to us. He also denied refusing to give our checks for the drinks. My friends and I were publicly humiliated in front of the entire restaurant. After this horrible experience, I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone! Save your time, money, and dignity!

Reviewed 14 July 2017

Dinner here is always wonderful, but it can be pricey. So... hit this place up anytime of year for drinks and appetizers! First order margaritas, which are wonderful, or a bottle of wine from their large list. Then order from their appetizer menu... everything is fabulous and filling. I love their classic wedge salad paired with their baby back ribs (one of the best ribs in Kansas City, probably #1 or #2 on my list!). Oh, but I love the Peppadews and the Baked Brie... and their Calamari and the Hot Crab Dip...

And best of all, during the warmer months you can sit outside and enjoy the best view. During the colder months, the huge saltwater tanks behind the bar will make you feel like you are at the ocean.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

I have high expectations for a place that's going to charge $40 or more a plate. My meal was just ok, the fish was cooked well, but there needed to be more to make it great, maybe a sauce to tie it all together or a more flavorful spice blend. The sides of rice and asparagus were forgettable. The location is good, if you get a table by the window, but the interior could use an update, especially new carpet. Service again was just ok. Would not go here again, there's better restaurants for similar price and food.