“A fancy restaurant on a private lake - what's not to like?”

Marina Grog & Galley
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 10 November 2017

A few bullets for those of you with not a lot of time:
bring your wallet
service is top notch
food was good, but not great (but the duck wing appetizer was a notable exception)
atmosphere is old-world "elegance" with a big saltwater aquarium, old sailboat models encased in glass that you can buy for like 2 grand!
good menu featuring steaks, seafood, and several specials

I had the parmesan encrusted snapper served over rice pilaf topped with blue crab meat. Asparagus spears were in there somewhere. It wasn't bad. Not quite as flavor packed as I would have liked and the rice seemed borderline crunchy - puzzled by that one. How do you screw up rice?

Wife had the Caesar salad and the seafood past. She loved both.

FIL had the pork medallions wrapped in bacon, served w/green beans and a potato dish (his plate actually looked the best of all). MIL had a salad and a portobella mushroom stuffed with something. She said it was very good.

I feel like this place is best enjoyed in the summer when the view of the lake really plays up the setting. In the winter when it's cold and dark, it's just a fancy restaurant.

One notices a faint odor upon entry. Couldn't quite place it but it was either leaking natural gas, a sewer line, or just that "lake-y" smell that places built on lakes have after a while. My wife thought it smelled like broccoli.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I took my Mom for brunch here for her birthday. The staff couldn't have been nicer but the star was the food. OMG the Eggs Benedict over Crab Cakes was superb and the potatoes were crispy on the outside but fluffy on the inside. Just perfect. Come hungry but also quench your thirst with the bottomless Mimosas!

Reviewed 5 September 2017

First off, the good:

Food was very good, with the exception of the fact that one entree was cold. We decided against returning the item, as we didn't want to wait for the meal again...which takes us to the bad.

The restaurant was packed (it was a Saturday night), it was busy both inside and outside. But, no matter how busy the restaurant, it shouldn't take forever to receive our drinks, appetizers, entrees and dessert. Our drinks took 10 minutes to show up and our server (who was very friendly) apologized and said the drinks 'got lost in the mix.' Our food took forever too...probably because 'they got lost in the mix,' too.

Also, the our table placement was terrible. We were placed on the corner of the upper level, right next to the bar/stairs/walkway. So, all night, it was hectic around our table. When we inquired about moving down stairs, we were told "no" and that all the tables were reserved....which I get...but our table was reserved too...in fact, we made the reservation 3 weeks in advance. It appears that if you are a 'regular' to the restaurant you get preferential treatment on seating assignments...and I know this based on the fact that the owner spent a considerable amount of time visiting with certain tables.

Speaking of the owner...he's a curmudgeon who is in the middle of a nasty divorce and is actually going to live above the restaurant...that's fun.

I really like Marina Grog, but I may think twice about visiting again...and I suggest you do the same.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

Scheduled a 1900 reservation for our youngest 18th Bday celebration. Table was not ready at 1900, said the previous group was on dessert, so should not be to long. As we were not in a hurry I headed to the bar for drinks for the group of 5. We waited about 10 minutes before a kind waitress made the bartender aware of our wait, Jared (according to the receipt) came over a bit later and took drink order twice, once verbally then came back with pen and paper. He seemed perturbed to be taking a walk up drink order. Only one bartender on duty during prime time dinner hour seemed a bit odd, maybe that's why his attitude was sour. Drinks served, paid for and headed back to the front to wait a bit. about 20-25 after the hour we were seated (not an issue - again we were planning a long dinner), had a great view of the lake and enjoyed the location of the table. Deanna was our waitress and she grabbed our drink orders. We were undecided on the appetizers so she returned later for the order. Once appetizers were under way she came back in and took our dinner order. My was a bit complex as I enjoy fresh snapper, but preferred it to be blackened, she checked with the chef and he took care of it. Food was excellent, we had the lobster / crab pasta and cheese, and the crab dip with pita to start. Two filets, one KC strip, one walleye and my snapper came out perfect. I also tried the special soup ($10 up charge) of crab / corn chowder, it was tasty, bit of a stretch for $10 but good. As I had made a trip to the bar ahead of dinner, we ended up with only two soft drinks, two appi's, 5 entree's that came to $305 before tip. Service from Deanna was good, a bit off as she seemed to have to many tables, but when she was able to give us the attention it was personable. We hoped for her to get a snap shot of the table to commemorate the 18th BDay dinner but she just got to busy, I did not ding her tip for her busyness as the food came out perfect and she did the best she could. I recommend the place, but it did slip a bit on this visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

First time visiting this restaurant. Service was slightly less than average. Server gave us drink menu but never followed before, during, or after our meal if we would like to order a beverage. We would have.

Server also never followed up on our meals until we were almost done. Other staff delivered the meal. Water was constantly filled but that staff person didn't speak at all.

For the price per plate food was just average.

We weren't allowed seating outside by water but they had seated several people after us outside. Not sure if we were to request that in the reservation. If that's the case if would have been nice to have that choice when we called.

Disappointing experience.