“$100 for a basic room”

Lodge of Four Seasons
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Lake Ozark
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was at the Lodge for a conference and got "special" rate for the room. That rate was no bargain and would have been very disappointed If I had to pay even more. My room was in the building separate from the main lodge. I would compare the room to one at a Motel 6. It has a small bathroom, sink and vanity in the hall, a small bedroom with a tube TV. I have heard about Four Season for years and was expecting much more.

The room was clean and it did have a very nice view but for the price it was not worth it.

Others in my party did have rooms in the main lodge and were very satisfied with it.

The staff was very helpful and the lobby in the lodge was impressive as were the grounds.

I would go back as long as my room was in the main lodge.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ajayhawkfan
MoFord, Carl Clark Vice President of Operations at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

I apologize that you were disappointed in your accommodations during your visit with us. We do strive to provide a quality facility for our guest as well as quality service. We certainly hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

The Lodge of the Four Seasons was such a wonderful stay for my boyfriend and I! We visited in February during the Valentine's Weekend. The Lodge has so many activites, I wish we would have stayed longer on our trip. Overall, I had no troubles whatsoever the entire stay. The greeters and front desk employees are extremely warm and friendly. I recieved the room I had wanted, which is right off the Japanese Gardens. The Lodge is very beautiful! Dinner at HKs was delicious (be sure to make reservations) with live piano music. The theatre featured Valentine Movies for the occasion. I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed my stay! I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katlyn M
MoFord, Carl Clark - Vice President of Operations at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Katlyn, thank you very much for the kind words about your recent stay. That was a great weekend around The Lodge with some wonderful entertainment in HK’s. We’re very happy that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit to The Lodge.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Went in June for a mother/daughter trip. The public areas of the lodge were very elegant and modern - the lobby was very impressive, and the spa was more than I expected. We had an hour long massage but there were enough other spa activities to spend the day. Had dinner first night at HK's and had leftovers for the next night. I was a little intimidated to go into HK's at first because I wasn't sure if there was a dress code, but jeans were fine. Ate breakfast and lunch every day at the little coffee/sandwich shop which was more affordable. Best part was ordering margaritas and food at the poolside bar. I could write a lot of positive about the time we spent out of the room.
We upgraded to a lakeview room. Very disappointed. It looked NOTHING like the pictures posted on the Lodge's website. TV was ancient, carpet and walls dingy, drapes holey, bed uncomfortable, broken cheap chairs on the deck, and the armchair inside had a large brown (chocolate??) stain on the seat.
Last few Comfort and Holiday inn's I've stayed in were nicer. I do not understand how this resort is rated so highly, I would not go back unless room rates go down drastically.
At check in was yelled at by the valet. My 60 year old mom placed her luggage on a roll away cart, and a valet shouted at her to come back, that guests were not allowed to use the carts lined up on the sidewalk. Nobody offered to help her carry her luggage, either. Horrible first impression.
Another note to the management: please enforce the signs requesting "quiet, tranquil atmosphere" of the pool attached to the spa. It was frequently filled with rambunctious kids (I guess the parents didn't read the signs stating the pool was adults only?) It would have been really nice to have an adults-only pool to escape to.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank starlight04

I apologize for your experiences during your stay in June. We have discussed each of the circumstances with the appropriate departments to make sure it does not happen again. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy Parrot Bar and Soleil’s Sidewalk Café. You are more than welcome to contact me if you would like to discuss the disappointments in your stay.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

We travelled in January for a long weekend to meet family. We really liked the accommodations in the newer Avila building. We had never stayed at the lodge and were not sure what to expect. Even in the off season, we had a very pleasant stay. The building we were in is newer constructions and the rooms were comfortable and spacious. The resort as a whole needs some updating. There are plans for expansion, but the current tennis courts are in bad repair. The exercise room is fair (3 treadmills and 3 ellipticals, few free weights (most too heavy) and a dated weight lifting machine. We looked at the pool but did not use it. We did not play golf. We did enjoy the nearby State Park and its hiking and biking trails. Breakfast at the Breezes was delicious, but we did not dine at the other resort restaurants because they seemed overpriced. There are many cheaper and delicious dining options 10 minutes away.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cristina W

Thank you for taking the time to review The Lodge. The great weather this January definitely allowed for some great outdoor activities around The Lake. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return and enjoy our golf courses and marina as well.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

We've stayed at the Avila Condo's 4 times in the last year. Our first stay was last year at New Years Eve. Everything was great, except for the fireplace in our condo did not work.That alone is not a show stopper, but when maintenance came up to look at it, there was some issue with the hook up ( gas feed ). That's made us a little worried, but the front desk was very nice about it, and we were able to work it out.

Our second and third trips to the four seasons were great. No issues. This year for New Years Eve was different.

My wife and I signed up for the NYE package, which was a room for the weekend, and access to the NYE dinner / party. The food looked great. They had stations representing different foods from all around the world. It was nice to see them change things up a little bit from the rubber-chicken ( but tasty ) limited-choice preset meal from the prior year. We had high expectations for the evening.

On our way into dinner, the hostess at the podium asked for our room number, then gave us our table number. The very fact that they were issuing table numbers would indicate that they had wanted to map out seating assignments, to make sure everyone is accounted for.

My wife and I walked in, went to our table, and saw that our table was full. Thinking we may have heard the hostess wrong, we went back outside to confirm the table number. As we approached the podium, the 2 hostess ( who didn't see us coming at this point ), were trying to keep there voices down, but we overheard them mumbling that table 6 was already full, and that two of the people sitting at that table were going to be upset. As if on cue, we asked the first hostess to confirm our table. She did, and walked back into the dinner room with us, but did nothing. She simply walked over to the table, looked it over, agreed that it was full, and walked back out. She didn't even approach the people sitting at the table, to see which couple was at the wrong table.

Long story short, they put us at the overflow table in the back. We stayed for a short while, ate a few things, then left, without seeing any of the entertainment or party. The takeaway here for us wasn't so much the rude people who wouldn't identify themselves, or leave the table, but the way the lodge treated us. Someone else caused a problem by taking our table, but the lodge made us into the actual problem by moving us to an overflow table ( in the back of the room ), instead of moving the intruders to their proper table. What is the point of having a numbered table system if you're not going to enforce it's assignments? If you would, maybe you wouldn't need 'overflow' tables!

When it was time for us to checkout, in all fairness, Justin did work with us on some compensation. It didn't really matter much at that point, although it's worth mentioning that he wasn't rude to us, and did offer to help.

The only reason we ever go to this hotel is so my wife can get away and relax. She loves the view of the lake, and the quiet that comes with the Avila rooms. As I've mentioned before, we've been here four times in the last year. We're undecided if we're coming back or not. If we do, it would only be for the condo, and not the rest of the resort. We've heard good things about this hotel from others, so we're not quite sure if our expectations are simply to high, or if this resort has slipped over the years.

As a side note, my wife and I like to stay in larger, fun rooms when we travel. Upon checkout, since the lodge was basically empty at that point, we asked the woman behind the desk if we could see the presidential suite. She printed up a key, and gave us directions to the directors suite on the second floor. My opinion: don't bother. It was huge, and spacious, but extremely out of date. The carpeting and TV's may in fact still be from the 60's. It had a giant peacock by the tub, and a gi-nourmous balcony. It's the corner triangle balcony you see from the parking lot, but there's limited-to-know view of the actual lake, just the parking lot. Since that room is competitively priced with the Avlia, if we ever go back, we'll be sticking to the Avilas, but the room was fun to see anyway.

Hope this review helps.

Room Tip: Go with the Avila rooms. They are spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DaveW123

I sincerely apologize for your experience on New Year’s Eve. We try to make sure all guests enjoy their stay with us. Thank you very much for you feedback. It will definitely help us to avoid such an instance in the future. Hopefully your positive experiences in the past will outshine this one occasion. The Avila rooms certainly are a great place to get away and relax. We look forward to your return so we can offer the same experience you have previously enjoyed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Ozark
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 12 in Lake Ozark
7.1 km away
Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark

Been to Lodge of Four Seasons? Share your experiences!