Wilderness Lodge(Lesterville)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 July 2017

Black River Lodge does it right! We had a great week on the river with family. The meals were always good and plentiful. Susan and Justin with entertainment really have it figured out and always added the personal touch engaging both kids and adults. The cabins are nice and have that homey feel! Train rides for the kids every evening after dinner. Trivia, weiner roast, dancing, talent shows and more were all well organized! It's was an ideal week with family and friends! Thanks for the memories since it was my first time!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2016

This place is way over-priced. Meals supposed to be included.....arrived Friday afternoon and had to go out for dinner.

The room.....not clean....carpet had not been vacuumed....there was a tag of some sort, 2 toothpick wrappers and other miscellaneous loose items on the carpet. Limited storage for clothing/drawer space. Pedestal table not stead....rocked. No TV, telephone, microwave or iron....did have a mini fridge.

The food: Saturday morning breakfast included "poached" eggs......the yolks were hard boiled. The other meals we had were acceptable but nothing special....served family style in a large dining room....no menu.

Game equipment.....very worn.....paddles for some game on a tennis court were in such bad shape that you never knew where the ball would go when you hit it.

The price???.....something like $180.00 PER PERSON PER NIGHT.
Outside the room, on the deck.....debris including more toothpick wrappers, cigarette butts, etc. Ash trays were "tins" with sand.....no drain holes, so they filled with water when it rained, nor were they cleaned.

Grounds unkept, lots of leaves and other debris.....certainly not cared for. For the price, it should be pristine as Disneyland.

Room Tip: Don't bother going there
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank gold-vintner
Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

Went with my sister and a whole group of sisters. The children were always entertained. Food was great. Extremely friendly staff. Beautiful scenery amazing river access. I dont walk well so we were able to drive down on the sandbar.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2016

Black River Lodge is one of those gems hidden in a beautiful area of the state. From the moment you start your week there, you have time to relax, be part of organized activities, and have all your food provided- no cooking required.

The rooms are nice and provide the basics, including a refrigerator, but I truly doubt you'll be spending any time in your room with all the family fun that's included.

BRL books by the week for most of the summer, and the weekend later in the summer (occasionally you can get a partial week), so getting in can be a challenge, but most people come back year after year, into old age.

The beaches provide security over the weekend, so no random floaters can go up to the cabin areas, and it helps ensure the over zealous weekend river goers don't get too out of hand.

Overall, it's worth a stay, you'll be happy you came!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2015

I had called Black River to get prices, the person who answered couldn't tell me availability and said someone else would need to call me. They never did. I called back and they were rude, told me 5 days later that they just "hadn't gotten to it yet". So I booked elsewhere. While we were floating my group passed by their property, only to have their "guards" tell us we had to float on the other side of the river because that part was their's and since we weren't guests we couldn't go thru. Hate to tell them, but they don't own the river- and that platform they built in the middle of the river doesn't allow them exclusive use of the river in that area. It's a public and state river. We weren't the only ones who they yelled at- a family attempted to stop along their banks to let other members (kids) in their group catch up and the guard told them to get off "their" banks. Great way to encourage people to want to come stay with you.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends