“Stayed 2 times in 2 weeks. The good and the bad (long review)”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites St Joseph
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed 8 November 2017

This is a 2 week review as I stayed her the last weekend of October and the very next weekend.

First visit review-
My family stayed here during a very sad time in our lives. We all arrived from various states at different times of the day and we were warmly welcomed by everyone. We got a great rate! The hotel seems newer and very clean. Check in was prompt and I scored a larger room on the 4th floor. Beds were comfortable and room nicely decorated and clean. Breakfast was a variety of hot and cold items and plentiful. Free coffee and tea throughout the day. I use to be a frequent stayer at another hotel but this is now my go to hotel when I'm in town. 5 stars

2nd visit -
We had to return to St Joseph unexpectedly. My family AGAIN traveled 14 hours from GA to St Joseph. My mom was already at the hotel and at 4am that morning she went to the front desk to confirm my room. I spoke with a man who confirmed that my room was reserved at the same rate I had the prior week (our family had a discount). The man took my credit card number over the phone, gave me my rate and said I was all set. I asked him if they had any rooms available with the sofa bed and 2 queen beds because I had my granddaughter with me. He said there weren't any available but if one became available he would switch me to that room.

We arrived around 8:45am and was greeted by Gabriel. I confirmed that our room was ready and we could check in early. Then everything went left. I asked about the room with the sofa bed and was told that there was a room available but it wasn't ready and I could not check in to a different room and then be moved to that room, He said I had to decide which room I wanted. Well our family had a funeral to attend in 3 hours after driving 14 straight hours so OF COURSE we would accept the room with 2 beds since we had to shower and dress. I told him I'd take the room and we'd figure it out later. He hands me the check in doc and when I'm about sign it I notice the rate is doubled. I asked Gabriel why was my rate changed. He tells me that management said we could only have 2 rooms discounted so mine (why mine, I'm not sure) was changed to the standard rate. I told him that I just spoke to someone who took my credit card info and confirmed the agreed rate a few hours ago so how did this suddenly change? His response was simply...well he's not here. We asked for a manager and he said he's the only one there now so he's the manager.

It wasn't just what he was saying but how coldly his words were. He didn't care about our grief, he didn't care about the situation, his entire attitude was just take it or leave it lady. During check out, I spoke to a woman named Kenya who (as with my first visit) was very kind and empathetic to my situation. Even though she could not change the rate back, the simple fact that she cared, told me who could assist me and apologized for the experience let me know that outside of the bad apple, this hotel is still a gem. I would stay again and hopefully the rate I'm quoted will be the rate I'm actually charged at check out.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Shauny874

Reviewed 7 November 2017

This hotel has only been open a few months. It is very clean and modern. Good free breakfast. Friendly staff. Quiet room. Typical pool area for a hotel of this type (water and room could have been a bit warmer but that is nitpicking a bit). Nice exercise room. Laundry machines available to guests. Good location. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank cindy435
Cody A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites St Joseph, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Cindy435,

Wow what a compliment! We have actually been open for about 3+ years now, so to hear 3 months is great for us! :) We really appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us, and we are happy to hear you enjoyed many of the amenities that we have to offer. Thank you very much for your recommendation! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Very.nice and clean hotel, also quiet, especially the rooms to the back side of the hotel.
Easy access from the Interstate, right off exit 50
Great breakfast - hot waffles, eggs, sausages, cinnamon rolls, yogurts, something for everyone.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Fibberdibber,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review for us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I will definitely pass along the compliments to the Breakfast staff! They will appreciate the praise. We hope you continue to stay with us anytime you are in the area! Thanks again for the great review!

Reviewed 31 October 2017

Room was booked for just two people, but ended up needed to bring two chldren. Even though the hotel doesn't provide roleaways, they had no problem with the additional two guests and offered additional blankets &/or quilts to make beds on the floor since there where no rooms available to accomadate four instead of two guests.

Room Tip: never take a room next to the elevator or ice manchine
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank debra k

Debra K,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! I am very happy to hear that the Front Desk was able to get you the items you needed to make your stay comfortable. We definitely hope you choose to stay with us again anytime you are in the area! Thanks again for the review!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for four weeks on business and they were very accommodating. Sarah and Marty were two of the most sincere and personable employees Ive had the pleasure of dealing with. The hotel was also very clean and a great value!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Cody A, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites St Joseph, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave this review for us! I am happy to hear everything went smoothly with your extended stay with us, and I will be sure to pass on your comments to both Marti and Sarah. We hope to have you in house again in the near future! Thank you again!