“Blessed Barbecue!”

Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Tower Grove
Description: Smokehouse and Gathering Place bbq, folk & soul. Every morning, before the sun comes up, our pitmasters are busy firing up the smoker to serve you the freshest, tastiest meats. We smoke our ribs all day to ensure you get them straight off the pit. We believe in buying locally. Our menu is smoked in Ole Hickory Pits, built in Saint Genevieve, and smoked with a combination of wild cherry and hickory sourced from Terry, "the woodman", from Perryville, Missouri. The cherry gives a subtle sweetness and gorgeous color to the meat, balanced with a touch of hickory for that rounded, uniquely smoky finish. We take inspiration from across the United States, but like to dance to the beat of our own drum, infusing different smoking techniques from X, Y and Z. Our focus is, and always will be, rustic American cuisine. Our kitchen cooks from scratch. Try our legendary Burnt Ends, a smoking recipe developed by Corey, Pitmaster of Grillas Team and winner of KC Royal 2003. Our Tri-Tip Steak is an Argentinian technique, simply marinated and rubbed with salt, pepper, rosemary & garlic. Our ribs are smoky, sweet and sticky. Our chicken is smoked whole and pulled for every sandwich. We make our own bacon resulting in our famous Walnut Bacon appetizer. The list goes on … in short, we cut no corners and we love what we do: good folk, fresh bbq and honest, soulful food. We look forward to welcoming you. Sincerely and Cheers, Ally Nisbet Owner
Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

Stopped here on way from zoo to Budweiser factory. Great, great barbecue. Had my 10 and 9 year olds with me, so was glad they had a good kids menu. Only warning, not all menu items are offered before 5 pm. Next time I go, it will be after 5 pm. Though, be warned, I was told it fills up fast at dinner time.

Reviewed 15 October 2015 via mobile

This place is everything people say about it: neighborhood-y, a bit off the beaten path, and fantastically delicious. I went here with a group of 5, which became 7. the host was super accommodating and we had a round or two of drinks on the tables outside while we waited. The beer selection is on point!

We sampled pretty much everything youd want. Meatloaf was great, ribs were fantastic. The meat plate sampler was great for sharing!

Reviewed 10 October 2015 via mobile

This is a very cool place in the middle of Tower Grove East. Parking is difficult and expect a wait. The food looks great and they specialize in BBQ. I made the mistake and got the smoked duck. I assumed with the name shaved duck they must have some passion for duck as I do. The portion was very small for $20 and the duck was dry and flavorless. The burnt ends appetizer was awesome. They do run out so make sure to get your order in. Looking at other dishes going by the pork looks good.

Reviewed 8 October 2015 via mobile

What can I say? On one side I want to keep this place as our secret but we want to let the world know how great the food is.
My wife had the smoked duck breast and she was enthusiastic. I had a full rack of ribs and they are the best EVER.
The location is a bit away from city centre but the excellent food is worth every mile to drive.

1  Thank coloradoclaus
Reviewed 8 October 2015

From start to finish, our experience at The Shaved Duck was awesome. We went on a Monday evening right at 5 p.m. so there was no wait for a table. The beer selection was extensive, and the menu was as well. Don't expect just barbecue here--even though that's their speciality. For starters we had the burnt ends, which were tangy and tender. Next up a cup of gumbo that rivals any we've had in the St. Louis area. Too bad it's soon going to be replaced by chili because of the turn of the season, a heads-up our server shared with us. For our mains the two of us had the two-meat plate--the meats that were amazing were the chicken, pulled pork and barbecued meatloaf, kind of an original offering and completely yummy.The sliced beef, however was a bit tough and dry. For sides we went with the Brussel sprouts, delicious, as was the mac and cheese. There are abundant sides to chose from so go to the "Duck" hungry, and don't be put off by the offerings which are all smoked. It's not heavy in the least--but we were when we left this amazing new favorite spot.