“Basement location, Upper level food”

Lombardo's Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Lombardo's Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 3,233 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Block South of Market
Reviewed 2 October 2018

Business dinner with a fixed menu choice, but were willing to accommodate special requests. Great service, good food and all served at the right temperature. Disappointed though that they were out of flash fried spinach.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 1 October 2018

One of the cuisine St. Louis is renowned for is Italian on The Hill…however, there is a restaurant in downtown that is just as good. Located downtown next to Hilton Union Station in the Drury Inn, it is in the basement of the property. A quaint establishment, Lombardo definitely lives up to the bill of great Italian cuisine in St. Louis. I visited with work colleagues and all of our entrees were outstanding. We shared the infamous toasted ravioli and it is a dish that must be tasted. I ordered the veal chop and it was prepared in a tasty manner, paired with a Californian wine, the meal was outstanding. I was famished, but barely was able to finish my meal. Dessert? Nope, too full.

Plus:
• Quaint, upscale décor
• Extensive wine list consisting of wine from California, Italy, and many other locale

Minus:
• Cannot think of any - humongous portion so that I was unable to order any dessert, which was a good thing

For outstanding Italian in downtown St. Louis, Lombardo’s Trattoria is the place to visit.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

reservation to 8: 45 showed up at 8: 30 was seated pretty quickly got our drinks and our toasted ravioli appetizer very quickly and that's where the service came to a screeching halt. there was a big party behind us so we feel like we probably got lost and they're Shuffle but we waited a good hour for our food which when it finally did arrive it was delicious but we are all so sleepy from sitting around being bored that we could not enjoy our meal we were told the delay was because we ordered lasagna and they had to put it through the oven?!?! if you know you got a lasagna order you put the order in when you put the appetizers in and viola! problem solved

1  Thank MsHouston12
Reviewed 28 August 2018

To summarize: Great food, great service, and great decor.

I had been vaguely aware of the location of the downtown Lombardo's for some time, but never had the occasion to visit. Was I surprised! It was much nicer than I had expected. It's in the basement of the Drury Inn, and maybe the idea that it was had kind of turned me off. Actually once you're seated, there's no sense of being in a "basement." Plus it gives you the excuse to investigate the lobby of the Drury--equally unexpectedly nice. A bonus is that restaurant-clients can park in the adjoining very secure garage at no charge.

We were there on a busy night, But Mr. Lombardo himself still had the time to twice stop by our table to ensure that everything was all right. In fact I spied him a couple of time backing up his waitstaff by accompanying them to carry a large order to a table in order that everyone's meal was delivered at the same time. In spite of the unusually large Friday night crowd, our own table's waitperson was efficient and readily available without being intrusive.

My wife and I both had a beef tenderloin and shrimp scampi combination which was wonderful. We were both surprised at the size of the order. I would estimate the steak to be around 8oz. Wife described the two accompanying shrimp to be more like mini-lobsters!

If, nevertheless, you have time for dessert, I had two pieces of advice: 1) Try the Black Russian thingie--a Khalua base marshmellow mousse on an Oreo cookie crust covered in a dribble of chocolate sauce. 2) Split the order! It's too much for one person!

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

As we were dropped off the cab driver said this was the best Italian Restaurant in St Louis. The experience did not live up to this billing. Although we had a reservation it took some time for the table to be made ready. The staff were welcoming though and the Maitre D very engaging. The appetisers were excellent. The main courses (lasagne and chicken) were very tasty, however the Lasagne was only just warm - verging on cold. Overall the experience was below par - largely determined by fact that food was not piping hot and the service a bit slow.