“Hidden Gem, Great Waitstaff!”

Guo Bin Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #1,867 of 2,995 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 3 December 2015

Sometimes the best places are those hidden gems that you never think twice about giving a chance. I have passed by Gou Bin more times than I can count and it always caught my attention however being located at that bottom of a multi level retirement home never made me want to give it a try. One weekend my curiosity finally got the best of me and I decided to give in and give Guo Bin a try, and I am so glad I finally did.

To start off my meal I ordered the Wonton Soup, which served with mushrooms. I am not a fan of mushrooms so i simply picked them out. The soup was delicious and reasonably priced at $2.75. The table also split an order of Crab Rangoon, which were served quickly and tasted freshly cooked. I noticed a bit more crab than your typical crab rangoon which is always a good thing.

For my main entree I ordered the General Tso's Chicken which was possibly some of the largest pieces of chicken I have seen at any Chinese restaurant. The chicken was slightly crispy and covered in a delicious sauce. Rice was served in a large bowl that was shared with the table. I also had tried some of the Mongolian Beef, which was awesome and full of flavor.

Bonus star here for the service, which is simply outstanding. I really did not expect the level of service that was provided at Guo Bin. The staff here is overly attentive without being pushy and intrusive.

I look forward to coming back, and know that next time I simply will not drive by without giving Guo Bin any thought.

Reviewed 19 August 2015

We have eaten at Guo Bin as a couple, as exhausted first baby parents and now with 3 children in tow. The food is reliably excellent and the family who run it and their staff accommodating and kind. When we had Chinese clients visiting from Szechuan, we asked if they could prepare a special meal and our clients were blown away. The food was phenomenal and the service exemplary. Our clients told us they had found it hard to find food they enjoyed in America and were thrilled to be able to take "to go" parcels with them. We learned that in future we should ask for everything Chinese style to be sure that it is spicy enough for us. And now it always is!

2  Thank Victoria T
Reviewed 8 July 2015

I reviewed Guo Bin last year and I extolled it. Things have changed. Things have not just slipped - they have fallen off a cliff. Read on.

Firstly, I am not a huge fan of Chinese cuisine, but five or six times a year I'll take a notion and eat some. In the past, whenever I did, I would favor Guo Bin, usually as take-out. The last time I ordered here I got the Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, one of my favorite dishes. It wasn't good; the shrimp smelled rancid, but I did not complain - not my way. I just disposed of it. Tonight I ordered shrimp fried rice and my wife had vegetable fried rice. Take-out again. We live ten miles away, but the food stayed nice and warm.

First problem: they left out the ubiquitous little packages of soy sauce and we have none at home. That was bad, but the food was inedible. Dry as a bone, with little taste. My wife was indignant and called to complain. She wanted a refund. Nope. The proprietress was rude and demanded that we return the food before any refund, a half hour journey. We are known to them and should have been granted a courtesy. OK, I can do without a refund, but we won't be going back. Neither should you.

Bottom line: we should not patronize vendors who do not practice good business ethics. Guo Bin does not. Don't go there.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Guo Bin has been around a long time and for a good reason. It is the best Chinese restaurant I have been to in St. Louis. The food is almost always excellent and I have had no problems with the wait staff.

My favorite dish there is called Spicy Bean Threads, basically just what it sounds like. I like my food on the spicy side, and this dish fills the bill. Their shrimp dishes are also excellent. My wife and I, who eat out a lot, try to get to Guo Bin at least once a month.

2  Thank ready314
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Had diner with a friend at Guo Bin Chinese Restaurant. The food was OK but lacked any zip. The General Tao chicken was not at all spicy. The same for my friend who had Mongolian Beef. It was very bland. The waitress was very nice, friendly and even joked with us. Nothing bad, just bland.