“Wonderful place with neighborhood feel”
Review of Heavy riff brewery

Heavy riff brewery
Ranked #842 of 2,978 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Reviewed 28 April 2016

I absolutely loved this place. This would be the place I would hang out if I lived in their neighborhood. My new love is the Heavy Riff Vanilla Coffee Underbrown. This beer was so wonderful that it spoiled me for the others beers that I tried. I after sampling some of the others, I went back to drinking a 2nd one of this. They also offer a limited menu, mostly BBQ, some sandwiches, salads and appetizers. I had the brisket with a side for $9. My side was burnt ends beans, which used red kidney beans instead of usual beans I see for BBQ. It was sweeter. BBQ was pretty good. Decor is rock & roll posters and guitars. We got to talk to one of the owners who said they were all in bands hence the theme. I thoroughly enjoyed the neighborhood feel, food and beer. If they could sell growers some of this beer would be going home with me.

Reviewed 5 February 2016

Food- Usually good food.
Beer- Hit or miss with their Underbrown being delicious.
Our Experience- Long story short, one of the owners over-reacted to my father's course demeanor and F-Bombed us repeatedly and threw us out. All over a disagreement over if the $10 sliders were hot or cold when they arrived that our table...
We wont be going back or recommending this to anyone over the harsh treatment. Very much the opposite actually.

Reviewed 6 November 2015

Though bartender was not overly friendly or helpful, the Vanilla Coffee Underbrown we sampled was delicious!

Reviewed 14 September 2015

Saturday night was my third visit to Heavy Riff and again it was excellent. This eclectic micro-brew/smokehouse in the Dogtown area is fantastic. The decor reeks of south st. louis tavern (which is okay with me), but the beer and food are up to date and wonderful. The food menu is a bit limited to mostly sandwiches but they are excellent. My recommendation is the smoked rueben sandwich. this differs from a the standard run of the mill reubens since Heavy Riff smokes thier corned beef. The burnt ends beans are a excellent compantion to this yummy sandwich.

the beer selection is pretty full and changes often enough not to become stale. Hands down my absolute favorite is the Velvet Underbrown. Smooth and tasty, it also comes as a vanilla coffee underbrown. My kind of dessert.

Don't worry about trying to flag down a server, you order drinks and food at the bar and they bring to the table. simple process!

So dress casual, get a beer, a great sandwich and settle in to listen to some great music from classic performers.

Reviewed 17 August 2015

it was ok - had a large birthday party going on - interesting to see people eating birthday cake with beer. The range of brews was good, and it seemed to be doing a brisk business. Can't say it was anything exceptional, but I like Guinness and none of the dark brews here have that creamy texture.