“Peruvian Delight”

Cafe Cusco
Ranked #12 of 715 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in one of Springfield's oldest buildings on Historic C-Street. The beautiful ambiance and delicious healthy cuisine inspired from Peru and South America make Cafe Cusco a gem and favorite among locals. Relax in one of its covered carved wooden booths, sip a cup of hot yerba mate or a refreshing cocktail from the Summit Lounge on their out door patio. Gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian friendly with an exciting menu that appeals to all flavors from the exotic to the tame. Your diner adventure awaits! Discover Cafe Cusco! Wi-Fi/handicap/non-smoking/kid-friendly
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Wanting to add some spice and balance to our countrified lives, daughter and I traveled from, Clever, Mo to a little taste of Peru happening in nearby - downtown Springfield. I had read a two-page spread about Cafe Cusco in the Ozark Spark. Immediately, I told Stephanie that we would be trying something different this Saturday evening. Turns out Cafe Cusco is a wonderful place to assuage deep growling hunger pangs.

Our hostess, as we walked across the threshold past the curtains, (a light airy touch) greeted us immediately. I glanced about the room as she checked her seating on the paper list. She showed us a table in front of the large window...at first I balked.

But when she offered us a booth deeper towards the back of the restaurant I heard myself say, “No this is fine.”

That little table overlooking the corner of N. Robberson St. and E. Commercial St. proved to be ideal. People were alive with anticipation of finding a treasure and we found our gem at Cafe’ Cusco.

After perusing the menu at our leisurely pace we each decided on rice dishes - hers: Arroz Con Pollo (Rice with chicken) - Sauteed chicken and rice in white wine and garlic with aji verde, corn, peas, carrot, onion and red pepper, topped with fresh cilantro.

I can attest to its goodness because all was eaten with much gusto and with a desire to return!
For my dinner I had their, Arroz Con Mariscos - Sauteed calamari (I love squid) and shrimp with rice in white wine and garlic with aji amarillo, lime juice, corn, peas, carrot, onion and red pepper, topped with bonito flakes and cilantro.

I shook some of their homemade hot sauce over the top of it. I loved the taste, though, found myself reaching for my glass of ice water with lime. Not because of a hotness, but the meal was dryer than I was accustomed...still delicious.

I asked for a cup of Peruvian coffee, but they only had dark roast Brazilian. Just to let you know - dark roast does not mean strong or bitter - this coffee was neither. It was delicioso. But, the taste gave me a desire for dessert.

Stephanie enjoyed, Coconut Tres Leches

Torn Angel food cake soaked in three milk syrup with coconut cream and apricot nectar, topped with whipped cream and cinnamon.

And I had, Torta de Askinosie Rich Gluten-free chocolate cake soaked with coffee and topped with Askinosie caramel fudge frosting, whip cream cinnamon and cocoa nibs.

And then when I could eat no more, Steph finished off the Torta. It was too sweet for my taste but was a good accompaniment to my coffee.

Cafe’ Cusco rates a solid 8 out of 10 stars...or 4 out of 5. I loved the atmosphere and the wait people were all (as far as I could tell) top notch and our waitress in particular deserves a 10 out of a possible 10! She was terrific!

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

A few of my family members must eat gluten free and usually finding a restaurant out of town can be a challenge! No one in our group has ever had Peruvian food, but we ventured out and gave it a shot! Boy am I glad we did! With 4 kids from 13-17 and two adults, we had 100% thrilled diners! Healthy and fresh! The service was amazing! We will eat here every time we visit Springfield from here on out!

Reviewed 15 December 2017

This is only the 2nd time I had the opportunity to eat at this place. I was traveling with co-workers. One of my co-workers is vegan and I needed a place that would have those offering. So I was pleased that a place I had visited before had such offerings. I ordered off the lunch menu and tried their Chicken Mojo ($9.89) and hot tea (loose leaf - $2). Flavors were as wonderful as I remember the last time I was there. I have to admit I like lunch size portions which I prefer because they are a "saner" portion size. I had a choice of loose leaf tea. Both of my co workers were very happy with their meals. Service was good, quick when I mentioned we were on a time frame before our next client meeting.

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

We were greeted at the door by the owner Joe Gidman and seated in a lovely booth with cushions, pillows and stained glass. Our waitperson Carlie pointed out a super lunch special that featured a choice of 5 appetizers( the cerviche was marvelous) , soup or salad and your choice of2 entres all for only $30! We had a wonderful late lunch on a cold blustery day in Springfield Mo.

Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

I had lunch there with my family. I've recently started to eat vegetarian so it's a struggle most of the time to eat out. Cafe Cusco offered a few vegan choices. A few of my family members had the bean burger which was really good. Portion size was pretty big. The burger had an avocado spread that was tasty. I had the sweet potato noodles. That was good as well. It was filling. Had to take some home. The service was great. Our server was very accomodating. Overall, really good experience.

Been to Cafe Cusco? Share your experiences!