“Perfect cabin close to Yellowstone ”
Review of Big Moose Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Big Moose Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Perfect place to stay close to the north east entrance of Yellowstone and the Lamarr Valley where most of the wildlife roams
My son and I stayed in cabin nine it was clean comfortable warm and cozy
Teri was great to talk with
this is our second trip to the big moose and we will definitely be back

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I am writing this review to warn you about the cancelation policy. It is 30 days with no exceptions. We booked a room 2 weeks ahead but the week of the reservation the weather predicted 24 inches of snow. we called 4 days ahead and emailed our regrets for not wanting to brave that kind of storm. Nothing was said except sorry you cant make it. They did charge 100% of the fee. The original confirmation email does have the policy listed but it is not on the web site. There are lots of great places to stay in Cooke City - I will never consider this Resort again. Doug Bell Bozeman, MT

Room Tip: Just don't do it
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

My friend and I stayed two nights between Cody and Yellowstone commuting into the park each day until we got to our night here. It is just outside Cook City (7 miles to the best Yellowstone entrance). The stars are gorgeous, the people friendly (met a great couple from Montana), and the hot tub nice and hot. The cabin is definitely a cabin, not a modern hotel, but it has a fridge, microwave, electricity and a bathroom. I stayed in cabin #3 which has one queen bed and it was all we needed. Wish we could have stayed longer as it was a great experience. Will definitely be back. I also love that it's run by someone local, nothing big business about it.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmaElaine84
Reviewed 17 August 2017

This was our 3rd stay at Big Moose and we'll most definitely be back again.
We always have a great time staying here and run into some of the most friendly and interesting people.
The owner Terri is such a great people person and really makes you feel at home.
We love hanging out on the front porch in the evenings and chatting with each other and the other guests that come by.
The access to both Yellowstone and the Beartooth are really hard to beat the price is a great deal.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2017

When we went to check in, the cabin was gross! It is not at all what's depicted in the pictures on the website! It had a huge gap on the bottom of the door, in which a small animal could crawl in, and the door did not lock! If that wasn't bad enough it had totally stained carpet that didnt even go wall to wall. It had one tiny space heater that barely put out heat, the toliet was so loose it moved up and down, the worse part......was it smelled terribly like freshly sprayed bug spray and the comforter was wet with it!!!! That to me is a clear indicator of BUGS!! Due to my two autoimmune diseases and asthma there was no way I could stay there, in fact, we had to go back home quickly due to my health issues. When we called to tell Terri (as she was not there ever when we wanted to talk to her) she did not care a bit about any of the issues. We tried to contact Airbnb about our experience and have yet to hear back, yet I love how Airbnb lets the host leave half truths and lies on reviews about us. We are not happy with Airbnb either. First and last time using it ever. We stay every year in either Cooke City or Silvergate and this is the worst dealings with I have ever had. Learn from us and stay away from this deceptive rental!!!!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
BigMooseResort1, Owner at Big Moose Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

This gentleman and his wife called a day early and wanted to know if they could come in early. Cabin #4 was the only cabin I had open. They were told to look at it and if they wanted it they could have it, I was going to town. Cabin #4 is a cabin that was built in the late 1940's which I made clean when he called the day before. It is well used and he never looked the cabin he reserved. The carpet is stained with years of use, the stained will not come out no matter how many time I shampoo it. We have replaced the old carpet in the bed room that was 5 inches short on one side. BUGS ? there are some spiders as you have no control over what comes in all houses at all times. When I find them they are gone. The review made earlier will attest to that. This lady had autoimmune diseases cause by cold, which they had camped out the night before, hence the early arrival at my place. This was proven through Airbnb which they had booked through, We ended up giving a full refund because she was allergic to cold. Mountain tend to be a little chilly, it looks like someone did not do their homework. We are new owners and are making upgrades as we can. Our rooms are clean and I do not use bug spray, it bothers me why would I make other people deal with it?