Big Moose Resort
Soda Butte Lodge(Cooke City)
US$169
Cooke City Alpine(Cooke City)
US$165
US$160
Cooke City's Elk Horn Lodge(Cooke City)
US$170
US$140
Chateau Rouge(Red Lodge)(Great Value!)
US$129
The Red Lodge Inn(Red Lodge)(Great Value!)
US$160
Lupine Inn(Red Lodge)
US$110
  • Breakfast included
Yodeler Motel(Red Lodge)(Great Value!)
US$120
TripAdvisor
The Pollard(Red Lodge)(Great Value!)
US$270
TripAdvisor
All reviewsduplex cabinthe ownerbeartooth highwayyellowstone entrancesatellite tvhot tubmicrowavemileswildlifeinternetpetsparkcodybathmontanavalley
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Second time we've stayed here, first time was in 2003. Cabin had many improvements including new bathroom, satellite tv. Had a terrific time, spent most of our time wildlife watching in the valley but our time at the cabin was very restful. Cabin was clean and the owners were very nice. Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jollyroger519
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Excellent spot if you'd like a cabin setting at a reasonable price with quick access to the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. Nothing really to do at the site, but the cabin was clean and fairly comfortable and the owners were helpful. We had half of the shared cabin, which as other posters have indicated doesn't have much in the way of sound insulation from the other half.

Note that this summer, construction delays slow access to the park at the northeast entrance.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2009

This location was a good place to start the day and be at the entrance to Yellowstone quickly. We spent one night at the Big Moose, got up early and had breakfast in Cooke City and was at the park entrance by 8:30 am. There was no traffic at that entrance and it takes you right into the Lamar Valley where wildlife abounds.

As for the Big Moose, to call it a resort is very much an overstatement as there is nothing to do onsite but sleep! There is no restaurant or breakfast. You'll have to prepare your own food or drive to 3 or 4 miles to Cooke City. As for the cabins, they were basic but clean with an OK bed and good shower. The owner was nice as well as her dog. The setting is beautiful and wildlife is everywhere. I would stay here again if I were returning to Yellowstone. I would also consider the Big Moose to be a good value compared to other places in and around Yellowstone.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank RBS69
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I like to spend at least some of the time I'm in the greater Yellowstone area in a locale with quick access to Lamar Valley, where the wildlife watching is great year-round. One option is Roosevelt Lodge, within Yellowstone but their season opens after the first week in June (and closes at the end of August). Since I was there too early this year, the next best bet was Silver Gate or Cooke City, two tiny towns just outside of Yellowstone's northeast entrance. I settled on Big Moose Resort just to the east of Cooke City (thanks to good Trip Advisor reviews) and I really enjoyed my stay there. I approached from the wonderfully scenic Chief Joseph Highway, which joins the western end of the Beartooth Highway; Big Moose is very easy to find, with a big, distinctive sign. The owners, Bev and Todd, are welcoming and friendly. My cabin was #5, just across the drive from the main house/office. It was very roomy, furnished with two queen beds, two ceiling fans, an armoire for the TV and space for my things, a little fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and a little table and a couple of chairs. BYO hair dryer, soap and little shampoo packets are provided. There is no closet but there is a short pole and a few hangers.

The Direct TV has plenty of channels. There is no phone in the room and no cell signal up there in the mountains. (I imagine if you really had to make a phone call the hosts would arrange use of an office phone.) I didn't ask about the use of a computer/internet.

I've never stayed anywhere that had better, brighter lighting, in the bathroom too (much appreciated!). The cabin had perfectly effective baseboard heating (definitely necessary at night, even in late May, at that altitude) as well as a cheery gas fireplace that very quickly warmed the entire cabin. The bathroom was nicely renovated, though the water heater went out a couple of times. Each time Todd promptly remedied the problem (a circuit breaker) and plenty of hot water was soon forthcoming (I suspect the source of the problem will be fixed and that future guests won't have to worry about it.) Without my having even thought of it, much less asked, Bev put through a credit on my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the uncooperative water heater. Such an appropriate gesture reflects extremely well on their business.

The only negative about the accommodation was that it did need a dose of housekeeping, a few squirts of 409 would take care of the grubby hand prints on the inside of the front door and a quick rag would help with a little accumulation of dust here and there. It was not nearly bad enough to be creepy but it was noticeable. The main problem was that the front step/landing was not swept (I would have been happy to do it myself had there been a broom in the cabin) and up there, nestled between national forest and national park, there's lots of dust and mud to be tracked in.

The cabin is half of a duplex; when there are guests in the other cabin, sound travels right through the wall. In reality, that's true almost everywhere, including in all the cabins and hotels within Yellowstone.

There's no restaurant that you can walk to (unless you want to walk 3 miles west along the highway to the center of Cooke City), but Bev referred me to a little breakfast place nestled under the Super 8 in Cooke City called The Bakery, and was it ever wonderful. First of all, she opens at something like 5:30 in the morning, which means you can get coffee (and truly first rate coffee at that) and go on your way to Yellowstone for dawn wildlife-watching (dawn and dusk are the best times to see wolves, bears, and all the rest). The owner bakes her own fabulous breakfast pastries, and also makes eggs, bacon and that kind of fare to order. I had her make me an egg croisantwich to take with my latte into the park and it was great, very reasonably priced.

There are a couple of good dinner places in the area. Try the Beartooth Cafe in Cooke City, and definitely the wonderful Log Cabin Cafe in Silver Gate, for excellent meals. In my opinion, Buns-n-Beds and the Soda Butte Lodge, two other eateries, are not as nearly good.

The whole experience of staying at Big Moose Resort reminded me of nothing so much as summer camp when I was a kid. That was a very happy time for me, and I will be just as happy to return to Big Moose next time (which might be in the winter, bound to be another great experience!)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank YellowstoneGal
Reviewed 12 September 2008

We toured Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks in August 2008 and loved every minute of it! Except the accommodation inside the parks which was dire. The Big Moose Resort is outside the north east exit at Cooke City, taking you over the border into Montana. Coming through Cooke City at 7pm after a full day in the park, we did not expect to find anywhere open to buy food for our self-catering that evening. A man was sat in a rocking chair outside a little grocery store and said that he stayed open as long as people were passing! We managed to buy the basics and enjoyed his friendly service. The Big Moose Resort is a little outside the town of Cooke City on the main road and very easy to find. Arriving late, we found that our host, Bev, had left instructions to our cabin - number 9. Wow! It was absolutely fantastic. It had been newly renovated inside. All pine panelling, high ceilings with ceiling fans (welcome summer addition), a small modern kitchen with lovely big mugs and plenty of cooking utensils. There was a new 'wood-burning' stove which was gas powered, but very realistic. There were two double beds at the back of the cabin (sooo comfortable!) and a t.v. which received some cable channels. The bathroom was new with large shower, loads of hot water and complimentary toiletries. It was spacious and homely. I can't tell you how delightful it was to sit on the verandah in the evening and sip beer with shy mule deer wandering within feet of you! We saw more wildlife within a few miles of Big Moose Resort than we saw in the Lamar Valley within the Park. We saw a moose right by the roadside, heard coyotes barking and much more. You really cannot beat the ride along the Beartooth Pass. Its scenic, majestic and, best of all, devoid of all those crowds that can spoil Yellowstone. The ride out to Red Lodge and Billings was simply wonderful! Bev was wonderful and friendly and very keen to help us find our way about. If you want to escape the crowds of Old Faithful and the feeling that you are being exploited in Yellowstone, get yourself out to Cooke City and the Big Moose Resort and grab a bit of real countryside. You can't beat the Big Moose Resort. Places like Pahaska Tepee are no comparison.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family