“Great place to stay. Friendlier that anything in Cooke City.”
Review of Big Moose Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cooke City
Big Moose Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I researched places to go for our Honeymoon and choose to stay here on our trip and I'm glad we did.. We flew into Salt Lake City and went through Yellowstone on our way to Mt Rushmore. This is one of our stops and I loved it! The owner was fantastic and knowing it was our honeymoon with a few vacant rooms upgraded up for free. The cabin was very nice. The room was very clean and had a fridge, stove and TV. There are many walking trails and the sites are gorgeous! Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vision_quest61

Reviewed 28 September 2009

Second time we've stayed here, first time was in 2003. Cabin had many improvements including new bathroom, satellite tv. Had a terrific time, spent most of our time wildlife watching in the valley but our time at the cabin was very restful. Cabin was clean and the owners were very nice. Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jollyroger519
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Excellent spot if you'd like a cabin setting at a reasonable price with quick access to the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. Nothing really to do at the site, but the cabin was clean and fairly comfortable and the owners were helpful. We had half of the shared cabin, which as other posters have indicated doesn't have much in the way of sound insulation from the other half.

Note that this summer, construction delays slow access to the park at the northeast entrance.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2009

This location was a good place to start the day and be at the entrance to Yellowstone quickly. We spent one night at the Big Moose, got up early and had breakfast in Cooke City and was at the park entrance by 8:30 am. There was no traffic at that entrance and it takes you right into the Lamar Valley where wildlife abounds.

As for the Big Moose, to call it a resort is very much an overstatement as there is nothing to do onsite but sleep! There is no restaurant or breakfast. You'll have to prepare your own food or drive to 3 or 4 miles to Cooke City. As for the cabins, they were basic but clean with an OK bed and good shower. The owner was nice as well as her dog. The setting is beautiful and wildlife is everywhere. I would stay here again if I were returning to Yellowstone. I would also consider the Big Moose to be a good value compared to other places in and around Yellowstone.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank RBS69
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I like to spend at least some of the time I'm in the greater Yellowstone area in a locale with quick access to Lamar Valley, where the wildlife watching is great year-round. One option is Roosevelt Lodge, within Yellowstone but their season opens after the first week in June (and closes at the end of August). Since I was there too early this year, the next best bet was Silver Gate or Cooke City, two tiny towns just outside of Yellowstone's northeast entrance. I settled on Big Moose Resort just to the east of Cooke City (thanks to good Trip Advisor reviews) and I really enjoyed my stay there. I approached from the wonderfully scenic Chief Joseph Highway, which joins the western end of the Beartooth Highway; Big Moose is very easy to find, with a big, distinctive sign. The owners, Bev and Todd, are welcoming and friendly. My cabin was #5, just across the drive from the main house/office. It was very roomy, furnished with two queen beds, two ceiling fans, an armoire for the TV and space for my things, a little fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and a little table and a couple of chairs. BYO hair dryer, soap and little shampoo packets are provided. There is no closet but there is a short pole and a few hangers.

The Direct TV has plenty of channels. There is no phone in the room and no cell signal up there in the mountains. (I imagine if you really had to make a phone call the hosts would arrange use of an office phone.) I didn't ask about the use of a computer/internet.

I've never stayed anywhere that had better, brighter lighting, in the bathroom too (much appreciated!). The cabin had perfectly effective baseboard heating (definitely necessary at night, even in late May, at that altitude) as well as a cheery gas fireplace that very quickly warmed the entire cabin. The bathroom was nicely renovated, though the water heater went out a couple of times. Each time Todd promptly remedied the problem (a circuit breaker) and plenty of hot water was soon forthcoming (I suspect the source of the problem will be fixed and that future guests won't have to worry about it.) Without my having even thought of it, much less asked, Bev put through a credit on my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the uncooperative water heater. Such an appropriate gesture reflects extremely well on their business.

The only negative about the accommodation was that it did need a dose of housekeeping, a few squirts of 409 would take care of the grubby hand prints on the inside of the front door and a quick rag would help with a little accumulation of dust here and there. It was not nearly bad enough to be creepy but it was noticeable. The main problem was that the front step/landing was not swept (I would have been happy to do it myself had there been a broom in the cabin) and up there, nestled between national forest and national park, there's lots of dust and mud to be tracked in.

The cabin is half of a duplex; when there are guests in the other cabin, sound travels right through the wall. In reality, that's true almost everywhere, including in all the cabins and hotels within Yellowstone.

There's no restaurant that you can walk to (unless you want to walk 3 miles west along the highway to the center of Cooke City), but Bev referred me to a little breakfast place nestled under the Super 8 in Cooke City called The Bakery, and was it ever wonderful. First of all, she opens at something like 5:30 in the morning, which means you can get coffee (and truly first rate coffee at that) and go on your way to Yellowstone for dawn wildlife-watching (dawn and dusk are the best times to see wolves, bears, and all the rest). The owner bakes her own fabulous breakfast pastries, and also makes eggs, bacon and that kind of fare to order. I had her make me an egg croisantwich to take with my latte into the park and it was great, very reasonably priced.

There are a couple of good dinner places in the area. Try the Beartooth Cafe in Cooke City, and definitely the wonderful Log Cabin Cafe in Silver Gate, for excellent meals. In my opinion, Buns-n-Beds and the Soda Butte Lodge, two other eateries, are not as nearly good.

The whole experience of staying at Big Moose Resort reminded me of nothing so much as summer camp when I was a kid. That was a very happy time for me, and I will be just as happy to return to Big Moose next time (which might be in the winter, bound to be another great experience!)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo