“Not as good as they used to be”

Maria's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Ralston
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

We have been going to Maria’s for decades and for the most part enjoyed dining there. Our last dining experience wasn’t okay if not even average. Since their expansion the consistency of the food has gone down along with the fantastic service they usd to have. Our waitress was rude and didn’t deserve the 15% tip that was left. First of all she got my order wrong, I asked for a tamale with cheese only (no red sauce) and it came out with both, and she got all bent out of shape when I told her this wasn’t what I had ordered. Also, we had to go up to the counter to get our bill, she was too “busy” to even bring it to us. Finally the prices have gone up way too much for what you get. An order of nachos of just beef and cheese was $9.00 which is crazy compared to what it was even a year ago. For the quality, service and amount we paid for the little bit of food we ordered, with tip it was almost $65 for 3 of us (we ordered 3 drinks 2 appetizers, one entree and a tamale) I highly doubt we will be back.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Called on November 4th to make reservations for a party of 10 at 7 pm, which we were told we could do. Came in early at 6:35, told the host I was here for the 7 pm reservation for 10 people. They found my name written on a pad, said "ok, have a seat", and we sat down to wait for the rest of the party to trickle in. Shortly after 7:00, the large table we thought was going to be "ours" was given to a group that came in after us without reservations. This was not a problem to me, but when I inquired about when we'd be seated, the supervisor or owner came out and acted completely unprofessional in front of our party, the staff and the other diners. The woman was extremely loud -- borderline yelling-- about how they don't even take reservations and acting like I must've been lying. Clearly, the host saw my name on the pad and felt no need to notify us that the reservation had been cancelled. It all really boiled down to a supervisor with an temper. I was initially embarrassed by the scene she was causing, but later realized that was all on her. If they couldn't get us in that night, it would have been extremely easy for them to just say so when we arrived. Instead, we got the bad end of someone's stressful day.
After consistently patronizing at Maria's for seventeen years, November 4th was probably the last time. Granted, the tacos are tops. But it seems Maria's has become--at least in their eyes -- to big to fail. I'm sure losing our one table of 10 that night didn't harm them at all. But I wonder how many of the 10 of us will chose to recommend this place to our friends or coworkers anymore...

1  Thank BeckyCakes
Reviewed 14 October 2017

stopped in for dinner. small wait for table, but worth it. service was on the spot, ready to get our order. the soft shell beef tacos are jammed with beef. the enchilada dinner platter is great, covered with gravy, i don't know what makes the gravy so good, but it is top notch. next time i will order a small side of gravy for my taco. not a quiet place.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

I enjoyed a good meal at Maria's. Even though I grew up in Ralston, I have lived out of town for the past 29 years. I met some family members there on a Tuesday night and enjoyed their Special of 2 beef tacos (or chicken) for a very reasonable price of $4.99-$5.99. The shells are very good and are a cross between a soft croissant and taco shell - fluffy and full of taco goodness. They also have a special on Mexican Beer of $2.00 off regular price. I will be back to Maria's again for the great food and maybe next time a Cerveza or dos???

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Fantastic food - Super fast service. We came with another couple on a busy Friday night at 7PM. Had to wait for about 20 minutes, but the bar area was available for a quick pre-meal cocktail (for those of us not driving). Seating is well spread out, not overly crowded. Even though we were close to the kitchen, there wasn't a lot of noise coming from there. The over all noise level in the restaurant was loud and made table conversation a bit difficult. We had dishes from all over the menu beginning with beef nachos and also queso. The flour chips with the queso are certainly a winner. Surf and turf tacos, enchilada plate, and the burrito plate were all well portions. Rice and refried beans very tasty. Although the place was packed the entire time we were there our server was super attentive and always there to meet any need.