“Good service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
El Cortez Cabana Suites
Ranked #111 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Spent evening in Vegas. Decided to book a room in downtown versus on the strip. The Cabana Suites were well maintained and quaint. When I checked out the lady assisting me was beyond helpful. She asked if I wanted my boarding passes printed, she gave me some fresh fruit for the morning and she had my rental car brought to the front door. All in all, a pleasant experience.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank a1rjordan

Reviewed 18 July 2017

I stayed here by myself on Saturday to Monday for a weekend trip from CA. It was very quiet, except for the AC in my room which was kind of noisy and kept me up. But besides that the front desk staff was friendly, and the room was clean and simple for what I needed for the weekend.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank stephg329
Reviewed 9 July 2017

Room well kept and very comfortable.
Near all amenities and always amused.
great shopping and Freemont Experience on my Hotel step.

Friendly, professional staff. Singles Restaurant tasty and good value for money.
Beauty Salon a treat. Casino 24/7. El Cortez one of the oldest Casino's in Las Vegas may not be the Hilton but certinly treated like Royalty. Very nice short but seet stay.

Room witha view. Kept clean and tidy with 24/7 Wi Fi and full informative TV Channels to make your stay enjoyable with day / night time entertainment guide.

Room Tip: Quiet Suite Area with overview of Freemont.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Vilet F
Reviewed 17 May 2017

I like staying downtown..If I want to go to the strip i can get there in a rental car. i really like the new addition to the old El Cortez. Will be heading back there soon. Rates are not bad. If i stayed on the strip some of the properties there need to be updated plus their rates are a little higher.

Stayed: July 2016
Reviewed 28 April 2017

My definition of a suite is, I guess, different than the El Cortez's definition. To Merriam-Webster a suite is "a group of rooms". To Dictionary . com a suite is "a connected series of rooms". To the Oxford Dictionaries a suite is "a set of rooms".

So imagine my surprise when my "junior suite" at the El Cortez Cabana Suites consisted of one rather small room and a bath.

And speaking of definitions, Dictionary . com defines a cabana as "a small cabin or tentlike structure for use as a bathhouse, especially on a beach or by a swimming pool." So I guess I kind of expected some kind of beachy atmosphere, or a pool at the very least. No pool. No beachy atmosphere.

As one who has never stayed in downtown Las Vegas before, maybe my expectations were way too high, but I was pretty disappointed. When I arrived, the registration desk had no record of my reservation. Eventually it was "found" (apparently because I made my reservation via Expedia, the information never reached the hotel, or never got input in their system or something). But when they did finally locate it, the clerk had to manually input every single piece of information as I stood there, by literally typing it in, line by line...my name, my address, my phone number, my email, the reservation details...etc etc Then he used an old fashioned adding machine to figure out my charges. It took nearly half an hour just to get checked in, extremely inconvenient as I had family waiting for me. I think this is pretty unacceptable in 2017.

The Cabana "suites" are located in a separate building, across the street from the casino and main hotel. Positives about this separate building are (1) 24-hour security guard at the entrance; (2) no slot machines in the building; (3) relatively quiet; (4) lobby area is nice and people at the desk are friendly; (5) small but functional workout area.

As for the room itself, I found the decor really awful (I realize that's a personal thing). The bed was somewhat hard and felt thin. The reading lights on either side of the bed are so high up that you have to physically get out of bed and fumble around near the bulb to turn them off. Cleanliness was only okay (grime in corners, some dust). Quite frankly, I wouldn't walk on the carpet in bare feet, nor the shower. (Those flip flops I packed for my "cabana" experience came in handy for this.) When I wanted to take a shower I had to go down to the front desk and ask for toiletries (I was told they "should" be in the room but there were none). My room key card stopped working on day 2.

I keep seeing prices for the El Cortez in the $30-40 range. I paid twice that (actually more than twice that if you factor in the additional "resort fee" of $15 daily) of and frankly it was just too expensive for what I got. I won't go back to the El Cortez until they update their registration technology and improve their housekeeping.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family