“Mixed Bag”

Boulder Station Hotel and Casino
Ranked #124 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 11 October 2017

This entry is a mixed bag.

First the positive:

Our room was fine during both our stays and the 24 Hour Café is also a good place to get a basic meal. The Italian restaurant located in the Hotel was also fine. All our meals at Boulder were more than satisfactory. We had no problems at all with anything at the hotel.
Additionally, my wife left her slippers behind after our first visit and when I called the hotel two days later, they had been turned in by the staff and were waiting for us at Security when we came back a week later. This was handled very well and we are grateful for their lost and found process.

Now the negative:

When we arrived at the hotel (September 21) we went directly to the hotel lobby desk where we were greeted very nicely by a staff member. She confirmed our two night reservation (for which I had paid a $50 deposit seven months prior). She told me that the balance remaining on the charge was twice as much as what I had signed up for during the internet reservation back in February. I offered to show her the print out of the receipt from February and then she explained that the computer sometimes makes automatic changes based on the current rates for the day (you be the judge) and she corrected it back to the original price.
I had confirmed for a non-smoking room and then was told there were none available and that they did not have any non-smoking rooms. Furthermore, she added that their terms and conditions stated that they did not guarantee room selection. At this point I asked to speak to the manager and was told that he “was not in the hotel”. So we decided that we would leave and I asked her to refund the deposit. She went into the back to confirm that it was OK to refund the $50. She came back and said she could and I told her to process the refund. Then she said she would go into the backroom and see if she could find the manager. He emerged from the back room and what do you think happened? A miracle; a non-smoking room had just become available. Keep in mind that this was 9:30 PM and the cleaning staff was not working at that hour.
So why did the Hotel want to overcharge us in the first place and then why did they not want to give us the smoking room in the second place?
Is this an example of an attempt at a double bait and switch? You be the judge.

NOTE:

I shared the above text with Boulder Station and they did reply. Their answer was more or less unsatisfactory with regard to the rate change and with respect with the room becoming available. They did state that one cannot confirm a non-smoking room (though it is a selection on their website). Therefore, if you want a non-smoking room (or a smoking room) and want to be assured that it is being held for you, I would strongly suggest you book elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 October 2017

In the past we've stayed at spots on the strip or on Fremont, but I have to say the Boulder beats them all. Excellent service, full amenities [including a new guest laundry], restaurant choices, all the games you can handle ... and we didn't even enjoy all the hotel had to offer.

Our room was nice-sized, smoke-free, clean and well-appointed. The one thing I'd knock was the sulfur-y smell that came from the wash basin. Not sure if it was the sink itself or the water ... the tub was fine, so we bought bottled water to brush our teeth and washed our hands in the tub haha Minor inconvenience for the central location [to the several ballfields we needed to traverse], excellent freeway access.

Definitely coming here again!

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 4 October 2017

The rooms are not as nice, and they are dated. But, considering what you get, I think the place is very good. Option of paid entertainment is addition to casinos: Movie theater, arcade, babysitting/kids playground, ice cream shop, many restaurants, etc. All good options! Would recommend if on a budget or if you need to take kids!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2017

Service all around was not bad but the hotel had that dirty feel. Not a clean place! For me Cigarette smoke is a killer and I wish all casinos would ban this terrible filthy habit.

Overall we were here for about 4 days and it was just a poor visit. The other issue outside of there control is that the pollution around Las Vegas has gotten horrible since my last visit in 2004. We were sick all the time. Sad when you had to go out to the desert to get fresh air or the best you can get.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We travel to LV every year and have stayed everywhere on the strip and downtown, enough to know that this is not the place for kids! This time we needed one night after a family trip to the national Parks. Boulder station fit the bill very nicely. We had adjoining rooms which were very comfortable and spacious. The kids spent 3 hours in their kids Quest while we adults did some gaming. Very reasonable and convenient. Lots of places to grab a bite and as an added bonus, we received admission to the buffet included with our room charge. Everyone found something to like on the buffet and we all left happy. I also liked the free parking. I am rethinking our future trips. Getting tired of paying ridiculous resort fees to stay on the strip.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family