“Best Hotel in Downtown Las Vegas”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #89 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
New York City, New York
“Best Hotel in Downtown Las Vegas”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I hadn't stayed in downtown Las Vegas for years, so I wanted to change things up a bit on my last trip and give downtown a shot. I chose the Golden Nugget. It's one of the oldest hotels and casinos in Las Vegas and was started in 1946. It's a bit of a Las Vegas landmark,
Check-in was quick, friendly and painless. I had a room in the Carson Tower. I was told a nonsmoking king bedded room was not available like I had booked, but they did have a nonsmoking double for me. This was no big deal as I was traveling alone and really didn't care, however if you had your heart set on a king bed, this would have been a disappointment. There are several different towers and the hotel is a bit confusing as there are so many areas to it.
My room was a little dated with a beige and brown color, however the upkeep was top notch. Even thought this is an old hotel, they do a wonderful job with the upkeep and maintenance of the property. My room was extremely clean. One area that did need some care was the hall way on my floor, the carpets were very worn and stained. I would compare this room to similar rooms that I had at The Luxor, Treasure Island or even the Mirage.
The pool is extremely popular and unique. It has a shark tank in the middle of the pool and one can take a glass tube thrill ride through the tank and see the sharks up close.
The hotel has a large casino and I did very well at this casino. The restaurants are plentiful and the steak house is one of the best in Las Vegas. It also has a Starbucks in the lobby.
I found the staff to be helpful and friendly. I have to say that next time I plan to stay downtown, I will pick the Golden Nugget once again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank James S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,832)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Uniontown, Ohio
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We've stayed at The Golden Nugget twice, now. The first experience was great, and we were looking forward to staying there again.

Cleanliness is not an issue. We've chosen this hotel on both occasions for the cleanliness, comfort, and my girlfriend is a linen-freak.

On this particular trip, customer service ruined our trip. I was preparing for bed on the second night when I realized the sing wasn't draining. I didn't think a lot of it, and went to bed. Hours later during a nature visit I noticed that it still hadn't drained completely. Barely awake, I went back to bed. But the next morning a blackness that I only described to my mate as "the bowels of hell" was coming out of the sink. We called the desk, and they sent someone up quickly.

So quickly that I was still in the bathroom trying to clean stuff up and move our tooth brushes and toiletries away from any work that they might do. Apparently this annoyed the service man to the point of being rude and frustrated that I was in the bathroom (of my room). He checked the room next door, they had the same problem, and called in for us to be moved to another room.

He said they'd call us within 10 minutes with our new room assignment. Otherwise call down and have a Bell take our bags to a new room. Ten minutes came and went. An hour came and went. We're hungry, haven't been able to shower, and have yuck-mouth. I dial '0' and they transfer me to the front desk. I get a message that I'm the first in line so I stay on. Five minutes. Ten minutes. Fifteen minutes. The message says to leave a message for a call-back, so I do. Another 15 minutes, no call-back.

By now I'm chewing on my arm, I'm so hungry, but I want a shower as well. So we go down to the VIP entrance (we had what is apparently worthless VIP upgrades) and voiced our concern. They moved us to a room down the hall on the same room, so we went back up and moved our stuff.

Early the next morning, we were abruptly awakened to drilling, sawing, and hammering. I literally thought they were drilling directly into our room and looked for the holes, it was so loud. They moved us to what I have to assume is the worst room in the hotel - right next to a maintenance room. They may as well have put us in the middle of a construction zone.

Do yourself a favor, and refuse room 724 unless you're out of your room really early in Vegas.

Golden Nugget was our go-to for the past few years, but this experience has left us looking for alternatives.

6 Thank iamyaM2014
Haley S, Public Relations Manager at Golden Nugget Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for being a valued repeat customer of the Golden Nugget. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your most recent stay. Customer service is of the utmost importance to us, and I’m sorry that you did not receive service that meets the Golden Nugget standard. I would also like to apologize for the maintenance issues and noise disturbance you experienced during your stay. Please email me at publicrelations@goldennugget.com so I can have a hotel manager contact you regarding the details of your stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We upgraded to the Rush Tower and were very glad we did. Fantastic facilities.
Best hotel downtown! Staff are all really friendly and helpful. There are not a huge amount of places to eat inside the hotel but everything available is good quality and lots of it!

Room Tip: Make sure you book the Rush Tower with Spa access included
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank inthegroove2013
Clear Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 January 2014

LOVED the aquarium in the middle of the pool!!!! Everyone was very nice and helpful. Our room was clean and the room was quiet. Housekeeping was a little loud in the early (for us) morning but it's understandable. Our view was great. My boyfriend liked the poker room and I played slots. The Casino offered free lessons for Blackjack, roulette, and a few other games that I took advantage of. It is on Freemont Street so we were able to step out and see the light show and do some shopping.

1 Thank KimberlyS85
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here just after new years and stayed in the older part (Carson Tower)
Loved this hotel, yes the tower we were in was dated but we are in Vegas and we just needed to sleep and shower.... Which the bed was comfortable and the water hot!
The hotel was great lots to see and do. Enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Our favorite restaurant on Freemont Street though was Tony Romas (inside the Freemont Hotel)
So much to see and do in Vegas but we loved the Freemont Street Experience the most!
We would definately stay here again for the price we paid....
Next time I would bring my own coffee pods though for a Kuerig Machine as the ones in the room are $10 for 4 coffees and the Nugget has 2 Starbucks which I hate....
Wifi was very expensive also as it was $12.99 for 24 hours per device.

2 Thank Slamedcivic17