“Overrated”

Monte Carlo Resort & Casino
Ranked #116 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 October 2008

It's boring compared to all the other strip hotels. It looks like a Days Inn inside, barring the first floor/casino. There's nothing interesting about it - if you are looking for a uniquely Vegas experience, pick something crazier. It was perfectly clean, though the shower drain didn't work right and some wall paper was peeling, plus there was no natural light on the floors except for the window in your room. And there were like 12 TV stations, what's up with that? Just a blah, meh, experience. Plus, they're building the huge City Center next door, so construction and dust looms over the pool, not real relaxing,

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (16,437)

Reviewed 24 October 2008

This was the first time I had tried using Priceline and I booked the room for a decent rate. I think this means that you are destined to be directly above the noisy construction. All in all, the room was comfortable and spacious. The parking was a breeze. The staff was friendly enough. The bathroom floor did slant and soak my things when I took my shower. The construction noise didn't bother us because we only stayed one night and had to get up early to catch a flight. Had we booked an extended stay I would have been annoyed by it. Overall I had no complaints.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EclecticNature
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I stayed at the Monte Carlo Oct 10th-14th. Don't think I would stay there again when I return back to Las Vegas. The room was just average. No frills or thrills. Internet access cost an additional $13 per day. Refrigerators cost an additional $15 per day. There is still alot of construction going on in the area. I would highly recommend dinely at Diablo's. It's a sports bar with a fun atmosphere and great food. If you are on a budget for meals, this casino has a food court which consists of McDonalds, Subway, etc. One positive aspect about the Monte Carlo is the location. It's very convenient to many other popular casinos. As other reviews stated, there is a CVS next door and a Walgreens across the street. All in all, my room was clean but probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ALloyd
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I booked the hotel thru Priceline.com and named my price. It was $50.00 per night which was a very good rate. Cheaper than the hotel's promos (which were very good since they included extras). The hotel is attractive and has a very traditional look to it. Not a lot of glitter or glitz. The hotel is next to the City Center construction. There is also construction on the other side of the hotel (facing the main entrance). I called ahead and requested a quiet room, which was pretty quiet (I had ear plugs jus in case) and also close to the elevator. The room was clean. Nothing special (sort of like a Holiday Inn) but very comfortable. I stayed last time at Harrah's and this is on par. There's an iron, ironing board and room safe. No coffee maker. The bathroom was in marble and came with only 1 soap at the sink (I had to call for 1 for the tub/shower), shampoo, conditioner and lotion. For some reason they ran out of hand towels. But there were plenty of other size. The tv has basic cable only (not even Lifetime or A&E). A good feature was check-out on the tv. Since I had no extra charges and the room was pre-paid (oddly enough I did not have to give a credit card at check-in for additional charges) I used this and was able to stay in the room until I needed to leave. Since check-out is at 11:00 am it was a big plus. The casino is large and the rock music blares which I find annoying, especially when playing a thinking game, like 21 or video poker. So I did my gaming at other casinos. The hotel lobby is actually a hike to The Strip through the casino. I didn't use any of the hotel restaurants except for some fast food Chinese. There is a McDonald's, Subway, Sbarro's and other fast food facilities in the hotel. The buffet doesn't get high marks, so I went to the ones that do (Paris, Bellagio, Planet Hollywood) which are all about a 10-15 minute walk. Right next door is a 24 hour CVS and across the Strip is a 24 hr Walgreens. Also, across the strip at the Coca-Cola Bottle, is the Tix 4 Tonight 1/2 price booth. Use this one as it's indoors and there's a/c. I got a 1/2 price ticket for Folies Bergere at the Tropicana (about a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel). In fact, I walked the entire time I was in Las Vegas. The monorail is just too far away to use (and expensive). The Deuce (Strip bus) is always crowded and you wait forever for everyone to board.

I took a shuttle for $6.00 from the airport. We only made to stops before (MGM and New York, New York). To the airport I chose a taxi which ran about $15.00 with tip.

To tell the truth, I don't think I'll ever be back to Vegas. The payouts are lousy, the buffets have lost their appeal, the entertainment doesn't seem as plentiful. To come to Vegas just to walk through casino hotels and their malls isn't worth a trip. So I'm glad my stay here was good value and the location was pretty good.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Unkey
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Just returned from two nights stay at Monte Carlo. The check in was fast and we were given a decent room with the AAA discount price of $69.95 a night. The room was typical for a basic room on the strip with a better than expected price. I selected this resort as I have stayed here once before and were looking for something within walking distance of the Luxor where we had show tickets for Believe. We were surprised that the casino was not as smoke filled as many others on the strip. In fact it smelled like they were spraying it with air freshener. The casino was easy to walk around and the fast food places were great for a snack including a Starbucks. We were surprised to see all of the penny slot machines they had. My mom really enjoyed playing them. We didn't eat at the hotel, so I can't comment on that. We had breakfast at the Planet Hollywood buffet, my favorite. We ate dinner at Gallagher's Steak house at New York New York one night. The best steak ever! We also ate at Tivoli at Caesers Palace and and Batista's Hole In The Wall across from Bally's. Both serve excellent meals. Overall our stay at the hotel was great for what we wanted. My only complaint was that there was a room service tray in the hall when we checked in and it was still there when we left. Inexcusable! I would highly recommend this resort for its location on the strip, pools and overall enjoyable atmosphere. Like I said the room was average but no one goes to Vegas to say in the room. Do they?

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank CFNOBIS