Shaker Farm Bed and Breakfast
US$179
US$184
Residence Inn
US$79
Six South St Hotel(Hanover)(Great Value!)
US$169
  • Restaurant
US$89
US$121
US$118
All reviewsbig tableother guestssitting roomcookiesroom was very clean and comfortablenew englandvisiting familyfirst floorwonderful hostsbreakfast was deliciousfresh fruitbeautiful lakecathyvermontnhfurniturehighway
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

The B&B is located not far from a beautiful lake few minutes from highway 89
The room is big and nicely decorated
The owners are very friendly and helpful
The breakfast is great and the dining table and dishes are set as in an exclusive restaurant

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Stayed 2 nights at this lovely B&B. Their home and our room was very clean and comfortable, Joe and Cathy made us feel at home from our first phone call to make reservations and throughout our stay. We entered as strangers but left as friends. Breakfast was exceptional. If we are in this area again we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2017

Cathy and Joe made us feel most welcome from the moment we approached the front door.

We stayed in a downstairs room with its own sitting room and access to the deck.

Breakfasts were yummy, with the traditional, fruit, a sweet, and protein, but the way that Cathy put it all together was both beautifully presented and imaginatively prepared.

Our hosts have a great sense of humor, and we enjoyed them thoroughly.

The two of them could not have been more generous and accommodating, even with my gluten-free restrictions.

We highly recommend Shaker Farm Bed & Breakfast!

Room Tip: See above, and as we did not see the other rooms, we cannot comment other than what we have already noted.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2017

I have to start my review by saying it felt like we were visiting friends and staying in their home. But, as much as we enjoyed our stay and any criticism feels like I'm being mean to friends, I want to write a review that other travelers can use to gather info and make their own decision about staying here.

The innkeepers live in the inn and are very warm and welcoming. But, you are in their space so don't stay here if you don't like the interaction. Like I said, just as if you are with friends. Guests use their kitchen and are welcome to hang out on the deck, which you need to go through their living room to get to. Cathy explained that the kitchen is open to guests to use the coffee machine or enjoy the home made cookies that are always on the counter.

Guest rooms are accessed through the kitchen to the central hall. Each room is unique and quirky. The Shaker Farm is an old house and has the sloping floors and musty odor that they sometimes do. My husband and I stayed in two different rooms during our visit and we preferred room 6 because it had a couch and easy chair. Room 4, that we were in the first two nights had a very uncomfortable wicker sitting area and a teeny bathroom. The toilet took up most of the floor space. There isn't a dedicated common seating area for guests, so comfort in the room is important. Don't expect luxury toiletries. Only a bottle of Suave shampoo and shower gel is provided. I found housekeeping to be spotty. No clean towels or real cleaning of the rooms during our stay.

Since this is a B&B breakfast is a big deal and Cathy goes the extra mile in her presentation and food choices. It's served usually at 8 or 8:30 at a communal table and conversation with the other guests is interesting and fun.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2017

If your idea of "country charm" is to have countless knick-knacks on every surface, including the floor, this is your place. There is no room on the night stand for a book or eye glasses without moving the decor. The other furniture was similar. The bed had so many pillows on it that I literally filled the closet with them, plus a basket on the floor, plus moved two more into the sitting room attached to the first floor room (I think it was 15-19 pillows, I can't remember exactly). It was excessive. Also, we kept finding more and more scent-generating devices. There were 3 oil diffusers AND one that puffed out scent periodically. We had to move them to the kitchen and let the room air out as my husband is fragrance sensitive. One breakfast was fine, but the other we tasted, then left to go into town for breakfast.

I've stayed in many, many B&Bs, and I know there is a range in tastes and styles. Clearly many people enjoy this one, but it was not to our preference. It felt as if everything was over-done and over the top in "country chic". If we didn't have a sitting room, we would have missed having a common area more. Though with only a coffee table, it was hard to play games, which is our thing, and hard to even put a cup of coffee down, as we had to move the knick-knacks which covered the surface.

The hosts are nice, and gave restaurant recommendations. But we won't be returning.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple