“The Best Pick” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Exeter B&B and Inns
Hong Kong
“The Best Pick”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2008

This was the second time I brought my son to Exeter. I wanted to stay in a different hotel. I found the Inn by the Bandstand through the internet. I was fascinated by the photos of the room decor.It was the attraction of the cozy rooms and its prime location, I chose it. When I arrived, I was welcomed by the owner with the kindest hospitality. He offered me a lot of assistance in settling down. The room we reserved was conveniently located on ground floor which was just the best location when I was carrying luggages not proportional to my weight. The Inn provided compliemntary drinks of all kinds for the cold winter day- freshly brewed gourmet coffee, all types of exotic tea and the most delicious hot chocolate. Not to mention, it is located in the hallway right outside our room( I never meet another guest though). The Inn was operated by a lovely couple, Jim and Victoria. You have to believe me that they sure run the place with their hearts. The place was infused with old New England atmosphere and time seemed still. Oh, you should not miss the breakfast. It was not just beautifully presented but very delicious,particularly Victoria's pancake. The Inn by the Bandstand is definitely my hotel when I visit Exerter in furture.

Mother and son from Hong Kong

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank H0ngK0ngM0m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Westchester County, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2007

This was our second stay at Inn by the Bandstand; we had been in late August of this year and loved it so much, we booked for a return trip - foliage / my parents' 55th anniversary, in October. The place was still gorgeous, although much renovation and painting going on... the owner had evidently sold to her long-time managers, and they were making some changes. Many for the best, but some dubious....
The Inn's bedrooms are beautifully decorated; it stands close by a small traffic circle and adorable shopping area in the quaint town of Exeter, NH. Better yet, it is very reasonably priced, with a full, delicious breakfast, close to the beach towns of NH and Southern Maine. BUT....
I had ordered flowers for my parents' 55th anniversary... they were not in their room. I had provided a credit card...emailed AND called to confirm; not only was the girl checking in clueless - no communication with management, evidently... I saw the inn's owner at breakfast; he never enquired about our occasion, how were the flowers, etc, so that I could tell him there had been a problem. When I emailed later he was very apologetic, offering $50 off our next stay...
Then there was my dad's jacket. He had left it there; it took my parents a while to figure out which inn, as we had stayed at several...
To make a long story short, the innkeeper, Jim, demanded a credit card to cover shipping costs... already a faux pas in my book, that's part of doing business... It's late December, and they still have not received the jacket.
To sum it up... gorgeous place, lots of charm, innkeepers inexperienced in the business of hospitality... go at your own risk; it just might be great.

• Liked — gorgeous accomodations
  • Disliked — inexperienced hosts
Stayed October 2007
1 Thank amgboop
ExeterBandstand, Owner at Inn by the Bandstand, responded to this review, 12 January 2008
We value feedback from our guests, both negative and positive and I thank this reviewer for the input.

This guest certainly has legitimate complaints as we were just in the first days of our new ownership. Vicky and I have, indeed, managed the Inn for years. We are not inexperienced. We are, though, new owners so there were some immediate issues as we assumed ownership that have since been solved. This guest stayed with us during the days of the ownership transition.

Our new guest data management system now tracks and reminds us when guests order extra services and products. At the time this guest stayed with us, we were migrating from the old system to the new system and clearly the ball was dropped on our end with regards to the flowers she ordered. I'm proud to say that we haven't missed a single order since, and our "extras" are becoming more and more popular. It was, however, this guest that brought it to our attention that we had a flaw in system and we corrected it.

About lost or left items, it has always been the policy of the Inn to charge shipping to individuals leaving items. The reviewers words "demanded a credit card" is a bit strong as we never demand anything from anyone. We do politely ask for a credit card number, though, as we are a small business with not much room for extra expenses. Also, what the reviewer failed to mention, was that because of the delay in shipping the item, we never charged them. We have also put into place a system that will never allow this to happen again.

Vicky and I, our daughters and staff work extremely hard to insure every guest has a great stay with us. Of the thousands of people Vicky and I have hosted I'm proud to say that this is the first, and hopefully last, negative experience recorded here. We encourage all guests to let us rectify anything that falls short of their expectations while staying here. We're not pleased with anything less than making our guests experience with us wonderful!

Jim Lane, Owner
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2006

My husband and I stay at this inn once a year. It's become a nice tradition. The inn is in Exeter, NH so I'm not sure why they list it as Brentwood. The inn has all the qualities an inn should have:
A wonderful hostess, clean rooms, very comfortable beds and a wonderful place to just get away.
All the rooms have a different name and also have a different theme. All the linens are by Ralph Lauren.
The innkeeper, Susan, is always updating and working on this beautiful inn. She's non-intrusive and you can come and go as you please. Although, if you do want to have a conversation, Susan is a very interesting person to talk to and very knowledgable about Exeter.
There's a nice big dining room where you can have coffee, tea and hot chocolate 24 hrs. The room rate also includes breakfast.
The last time we stayed there, Susan made us homemade cookies after we got back from dinner. That was a nice surprise.
We look forward every year to visiting this beautiful inn as well as seeing Susan and her wonderful two dogs.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Tips/Secrets — There's a spa around the corner from the inn...great place for a massage.
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank cape19
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2006

We just returned from a stay at the Inn by the Bandstand. We were hoping to stay the entire weekend but because of family obligations, we could only stay one night. My husband, young daughter and I really enjoyed our stay. Our room was Lakeheath Lodge, on the third floor, and was decorated like a rustic lodge. It has beautiful wood beams that are original to construction of the house in the 1800's. It also had a small kitchenette hidden behind a curtain. The bathroom was kind of small, but remodeled with modern conveniences. The innkeeper, Susan, was very cordial and helpful. Our daughter loved the two Goldens, Emma and Zach! They are very sweet! The breakfast was delicious. My husband has vowed to stay there each time we return to NH! It was a very relaxing and homey stay!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jupiter, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2005

I have stayed at this inn several times - in the Kensington and Williamsburg rooms. It's charming and cozy. The innkeeper is helpful and friendly, as is the golden retriever. I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2004, travelled on business
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Nikki55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
0.8 km away
13.5 km away
Ashworth by the Sea
Ashworth by the Sea
#3 of 41 in Hampton

Been to Inn by the Bandstand? Share your experiences!