“Good service, average food”
Review of Canoe Club - CLOSED

Canoe Club
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

Pleasant atmosphere with an interesting display of canoes on walls and hung from ceiling (though we were disappointed none of the staff we asked knew anything about some of the unusual canoes).
The food was ok. Bread and butter were above average. Starters were so inmemorable I can’t describe them a day later. We both had a swordfish special which could have been good but the flavour of both the fish and the accompanying melange of vegatables was overpowered by the sauce. I wish I had thought to request the sauce to be served on the side.
The best part of the meal was the ice creams and sorbets — unusual and delicious flavours.
For a town lacking in good restaurants, this one is not bad. I wouldn’t make a special trip to eat there, but would possibly return if I visit Hanover again.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

I have been going to the Canoe club for many years but I have not been there since the ownership changed. Not only the ownership but also the chef. The food that they put out now is really wonderful. I had some incredible cold carrot soup and mushroom gnocci and they were both fabulous. I look forward to going back again as soon as I can and can't wait to try some of the new additions to the menu as well as enjy the best of the old favorites.

Date of visit: July 2018
Jaime4711, General Manager at Canoe Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Thank you so much! So happy to hear you had a great experience. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Let me first say that I have read the negative reviews and I was stunned. I’ve been to Canoe Club a couple of times now and I have never witnessed a more skilled bartender. He can make anything, and he knows how to make it authentically. Don’t know what you want? He’ll create something special just for you by asking you what specific tastes you have. I never knew that egg white belongs in a whiskey sour and now it’s changed me forever! The food is fairly priced and absolutely delish! I highly recommend the avocado fries and the truffle tots. As for the negative reviews stating that they were not served in a timely manner or that the bartender ignored them.... Okay, you were sitting at a bar! It can get pretty hectic for these guys pretty fast. You’re the one who is there to socialize, he’s there to work his butt off so you have an amazing drink to share with your friends. When he does have time, he DOES socialize! The wait time does not depend on the bartender, but rather the amount of bar patrons. One must be realistic with their expectations. I would highly recommend this restaurant and bar and cannot wait to visit again.

Date of visit: June 2018
Jaime4711, General Manager at Canoe Club, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Heather C!
Thank you so so so much. Please do introduce yourself to us when you are in next.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

We had a wonderful experience at the Canoe Club!
The staff was so accommodating beginning from the reservation process to the meal itself. We were a large party (13) and still the service was exceptional!
The food was delicious all the way around!
Thank you for taking such good care of us!
Two thumbs up!

Date of visit: June 2018

Thank you so much for choosing us. So happy to hear that you had such a great experience.

Reviewed 18 May 2018

This was my first Canoe Club visit since new owner and new chef. Host and server were very friendly and answered all questions. Food was great! I had truffle tots and halibut for a main. on scoop of home-made rhubarb & ginger ice cream topped off the meal. I have hopes for the establishment under new management!

Date of visit: May 2018
Jaime4711, General Manager at Canoe Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2018

Welcome back, and thank you so much for your kind words. Hope you see you again soon.