“Lovely English manor”

The Manor on Golden Pond
Ranked #3 of 3 Holderness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This was a lovely place to stay in Holderness. The grounds were beautiful with a pool and beautiful places to stroll around. We found all the staff very friendly and checking in and out was quick and easy. We were taken on a tour after checking in which was a nice touch. The furnishings are old English style that certainly fit the character of the Manor.

We were in the Buckingham Room which was an upgrade from our original selection. There was a view of the lake from the balcony though the lake was not bordering the property as I had thought it would. Our room was very big and included a fireplace. The bed was very comfortable and we felt like royalty in this lovely room.

Breakfast was excellent with great choices from the menu as well as fruit, rolls and cereal available.The maple french toast with bacon was great.

Definitely a place I would recommend to others.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dianne228

Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

I had the extreme pleasure of spending 3 days at the Manor on Golden Pond. Not only was the scenery spectacular, but the Manor is beautiful and meticulously clean, and well attended to. The proprietors, Brian and his staff, went beyond the ordinary to see that everything we asked for was done and more. the food was delicious and plentiful. there are so many things to do in the area a return visit is definitely in order.I highly recommend the Manor. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Jlack88
Reviewed 25 May 2012

19 women of a certain age had the good fortune to select The Manor on Golden Pond as an inclusive birthday celebration. yes, 19! Our accomodations were splendid - the rooms were beautiful. The staff graciously did everything to make our stay comfortable. And the food was terrific!
Two women made the arrangements with the owner who also worked with them to find activities and off site dining - everything went well - including the weather.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I am always reluctant to write about a disappointing experience. The Manor on Golden Pond was just that. The grounds and the interior of the lobby were lovely. However, the overall feeling of the Manor is that of a hotel, not a B&B. Checking in was not the most efficient and not particularly warm (as it generally is in a B&B). Innkeepers hire exchange students to help out and learn the trade which has both pluses and minuses from the viewpoint of the guest, depending on the level of expertise that has been acquired by the student. We ate in the highly rated Van Horn dining room with 4 star diamond plaques hanging on the walls. I ordered a filet minon which was surprisingly tough. I spoke to the waitress who indicated that it was impossible for it to be tough since the chef had prepared it. My response was to show her that even the knife could not cut through the meat effectively and that chewing a piece actually hurt my teeth (something that has not happen before or since). Her response was that the knives were dull and that she kept telling them that they needed sharpening. No attempt to provide a sharp knife was made by the waitress, nor any attempt to address my concern, and I was left with a $40 filet to tough it out. The service was not prompt nor efficient. One of the slogans on the home page is "memorable experiences". Our food and dining were definitely that but certainly not what we expected nor 4 star diamond level! Our accomodations were in the Churchill room. Although the views were lovely, the carpet and some furnishings were shabby and not worthy of the high rate charged for the room. In particular, the carpet had many burn holes in it, apparently from the fireplace. Overall, a very disappointing experience for us and we have no plans to ever return.

Room Tip: avoid the Churchill unless the carpet and furnishings have been upgraded
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank VF0rge
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I wanted to take my wife to the Lakes region for our 10th anniversary and intended to "spare no expense" in treating her (we have two very small children; I wanted her to celebrate in rest and luxury). In my research, it seemed as though the Manor was the top of the heap so, in a rather unusual display of largesse, I booked the $420/night Yorkshire suite. The online photos showed fresh flowers, the website promised exceptional service, etc... Capitalism says the highest priced place will be the best! Spare no expense! Book it!

When we first turned into the property, we thought we'd come to the wrong place (no sign at the turnoff!); the winding road was littered with debris, and there were several branches that scraped the car ("surely a Four Diamond hotel would maintain its entrance..."). Then we saw the buildings: molding yellow paint, peeling all over the place, even some spots with no siding on them! Again we made excuses for them; "well, this is the off-season. I'm sure they polish the place from stem to stern in May..."

Our room, touted as the finest on the property, featured a fireplace with a dozen or more burn marks on the carpet in front of it, and smoke-stained tile around it. No fresh flowers. No down pillows. A burned out light bulb over the bath, which I changed out myself! We found several dead bugs on the floor when we entered, and the tvs are circa 1990 (with VHS players and remotes held together with black tape). "Welcome to your dream getaway, dear. I've, um... Spared no expense."

The staff are good-hearted but comprised mostly of university students on a program from England (cheap/free student labor? Not a great sign), so their solution to the fact that we had no heat for the first night (literally building a fire to keep warm!) was to roll in an old oil heater with two broken wheels on it. We also received no (promised, advertised) turn-down service on our second (and last) night, so we arrived back from dinner to towels on the floor and unemptied trash cans. This was compounded by our dinner experience: Church Landing at Mill Falls in Meredith. Built in 2004, everything was first rate, and we nearly cried when we toured their $310/night suite, which was huge, beautiful, and professional. As fans of On Golden Pond, we'd wanted to stay on Squam Lake. Stupid, stupid us. We ended up feeling like suckers. If you're reading this review, please don't make the same mistake we did!

I'm

Stayed: April 2012
11  Thank Steven M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
9.5 km away
Glynn House Inn
#1 of 2 in Ashland
5.6 km away
Cheney House Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Manor on Golden Pond? Share your experiences!