All reviews historic hotel rocking chairs golf course front porch new england breakfast buffet antique elevator creaky floors old fashioned dining room step back in time room suite white mountains north conway beautiful setting cross country ski jackson falls
Reviewed 14 October 2016

My one-night stay at Eagle Mountain Inn was wonderful! The room was plenty large enough for just myself and the bed was very comfortable. I was not bothered by any noise from nearby rooms or hallway traffic. My scallop dinner was scrumptious! And the breakfast buffet offered many healthy choices of delicious food! All of the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful. I don't remember the servers names, but Emilie, the manager stopped by to inquire if all was well. She seemed busy making sure everything was just right.
I will visit again! And I highly recommend a visit to Eagle Mountain, to enjoy the gorgeous views, wonderful food, and delightful atmosphere!

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
GuestExperience_2016, General Manager at Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2016

Thanks for sharing your experience with us jesusfreakcolleen. It is great to know that you enjoyed your time with us. We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

We found this Inn on TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed. It is a 100 plus year old Inn and very lovely to stroll about and on the surrounding grounds. It has large front porch with rockers to sit and admire the spectacular view of mountain range and golf course. The Inn lobby features several sitting areas and a fireplace and game room. Also restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Both not included in room price. We attempted to have dinner after checking in but waited way too long for service and finally left to go eat in town. I think they were short wait staff. It's a very large dining room. It should have more wait staff. We did have breakfast buffet and it was delicious plus good service. Our one night stay had us in room 110 which was easy to access via short flight of stairs or awesome vintage elevator! Don't miss a ride in this old very workable elevator! Our room was a suite. It had small living area with tv and a bedroom with queen bed and tv. In between these rooms was our bathroom with tub/ shower combo. There is a step up in middle of room to enter bathroom then step down again which may be awkward for some folks. But this is a hundred year old building! I was willing to deal with it. The decor was not outstanding but not bad. All was functional and clean. Good views out the windows of back property. All in all I loved this place and the location up the hill on the outskirts of Jackson. I would definitely stay here again. And look forward to next year!

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our elevator Holly M. Being a historic hotel offers so many little surprises for our guests and that definitely leads the pack. Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully, we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2016

If you love historic buildings, you will love staying here. So quaint. Like stepping back in time. Antique furniture in the hotel as well as the rooms. Huge 2 story porch you can enjoy drinks from the bar on and beautiful scenery. If you're into modern, don't stay here but if you appreciate buildings with character and charm, you can't go wrong booking this place. Some reviews called it shabby or worn but I thought it was in much better shape than a lot of newer places I have stayed at. And it was clean and the restaurant was good. Jackson is a cute town and away from the tourist traps

Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

I really didn't want to have to leave a negative review here. I feel sorry for the manager who is tackling all the lackluster TripAdvisor reviews, and whom I also saw getting a lengthy ear bashing in the dining room by another couple while we we're there, but sadly this is what TripAdvisor is for - to advise others before booking, so I feel it's only fair to warn potential bookers of the down sides to the Eagle Mountain House.

The positives: the outside of the hotel is everything. The beautiful veranda, the rocking chairs, the views, the building and the history, but sadly that's where the charm ends.

I'm from England, so I understand the difference between historical and downtrodden. Period features are one thing, but this poor hotel wears as sad air of a once grand establishment fallen into unloved disrepair.
Unlike my husband, I don't mind the carpet being a little threadbare, or the furnishings being dated, but the musty smell, the cobwebs and the cold and unwelcoming atmosphere was what made it hard to enjoy my stay here.
I know it takes big money to bring big changes, but there are so many smaller things that could be done to bring this grand old lady back to life.
Linens on the dinner tables in the dining room for one. Eating at bare wooden tables over dinner gave the air of a cheap cafe, not a grand dining room. Lower the lights a little, play some soft music, wheel in an old piano or something, light a cosy fire in the grate in the lobby, even if it's not that cold out (it's the little things), but that dining room is about as depressing a place as I've eaten in a long time.
The staff seemed harassed and fed up, there were huge, odd, gaps between the tables which made the room feel echoey and cold, like it had been set up in a hurry and the real dining room was unavailable, and the lights were up so bright it just lacked all atmosphere. Such a shame when the bones of the room are so great - and that view! Imagine how fabulous it could be with a few easy changes.

Being made to drink wine from a plastic, disposable beaker in the lobby after dinner didn't help. What do you imagine we plan to do with the glasses? Steal them? Start a bawdy fight? We couldn't sit in the bar as we had our daughter with us and she wasn't allowed in there, so we had no other choice.
We tried to find a cosy corner in room with the board games and puzzles, but when we pulled out the boxes to play games with our child (while drinking from our plastic beakers) we found them all to be missing most, if not all, the playing pieces and the boards. There was not one playable game in the room - which begs the question, why bother putting them there? We ended up buying our own chutes&ladders from Walmart the next day. It cost $5. Really, I don't see why the hotel can't just throw out all those broken and incomplete games/puzzles and do the same. It's not expensive and it smacks of neglect and lack of care.

The games room was a thoroughly unwelcoming basement style space with a few aging arcade machines, a carnival grabber arm and a ping pong table with no bats and one squashed ball. I fibbed to my daughter about it being locked so she wouldn't make me sit down there shivering miserably over my plastic cup of wine, churning quarters into the machines. It would take such little care and thought to make that room more cosy and fun. Make the arcades games free, if they must be there. Ditch the ugly grabber arm that all parents hate anyway. Get some good old fashioned family games down there.

Our bedroom was fine. We didn't pony up and pay for a mountain view, so I didn't mind being on the lower ground floor. Even with the exposed pipe work and odd smell. The bathroom was actually very pretty. The noise from the room above was loud, but I don't blame the hotel for the acoustics of an old building. It seemed clean enough to me.

Lastly, the wedding situation. I do understand the hotel has a great view and grand backdrop, therefore weddings must make up a huge part of their income, but there is not one shred of doubt in my mind that as long as you install a big ugly marquee right between the veranda and the mountain view, and as long as there's a DJ playing Bruno Mars at full volume each night, when you might other lwise be star gazing with a drink on the veranda, the hotel will never again regain the charm and tranquil beauty of the grand mountain resort it once was.

Stay here only if you are fully aware of the downsides and don't have your expectations high. If you find a killer deal, then it may still be worth it for that view (minus the marquee) and the history, but otherwise I'm so sad to say it might be better to find another place.

I'm so sorry, Brendan. I really tried to like it and I really want it to succeed and get back to its former glory. Best of luck.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Bryony S

We appreciate your comments Bryony S. Our team works hard to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay as much as the view, and are really sorry that we didn't put our best foot forward during your visit. Your comments have been shared with the team and are already being put to good use, improving where ever possible. We know that our hard work will pay off, and hope that you will come back again and see our progress.

Reviewed 11 October 2016

This hotel is one of the many aging yet historic hotels in the USA and with that in mind it is very charming and reminded me of some kind of Scottish lodge. However the worn areas really should be updated, for example the stairs carpet is so worn in places it has become slippery and the "sofa beds" are torturous. We booked a room for three people and the first night my mother git no sleep as the sofa bed was lumpy and slanting (dye to the floors on the third floor all wonky due to age?) ; and whilst the staff moved us for the second night, I tried the sofa bed (on normal flats floors) and it was still so uncomfortable I didn't sleep either. I think these need replacing asap. So I warn you to book separate rooms if there are more than two of you.

Final mention, the desk staff were lovely, the dining/bar staff pretty rude!

Room tip: If you want a room that doesn't slant avoid the top floors
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank maddie80

Thanks for sharing your experience with us maddie80! Feedback is so very important to us and our team takes it seriously. Our team has already looked into the sofa beds in both of your rooms and are working to ensure they are better moving forward. We do hope that you will give us another chance to show you our best.