“We gave it a nine out of 10.”

The Coach House Restaurant at the New London Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Coach House Restaurant at the New London Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 26 Restaurants in New London
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Coach House Restaurant is a unique experience in the charming town of New London, New Hampshire; located inside the historic New London Inn. Come enjoy exemplary cuisine prepared by Executive Chef Joshua Duda made from the finest ingredients available. The Coach House Restaurant’s name comes from the stagecoaches of 1790’s that would travel from Concord, New Hampshire to the town of New London. They would park at the windows that you see along the side of the restaurant’s main dining room. The Sargent room is named for one of the original families that owned the New London Inn.
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

First, check the menu on the Coach House New London website. Not the one on TripAdvisor. They're different. My friend and I went on a very cold Tuesday night and they weren't busy. BUT we were seated by the fireplace and we were happy. We started with two lighter fares: she had red beets with onions and; I had roasted Brussels sprouts with horseradish aioli, pine nuts and shaved parmesan. Both were delicious. I ordered short ribs, she had the crusted cod with crispy leeks. Both of us cleaned our plates. We pushed forward to apple tart and gluten free chocolate cake, both with ice cream and coffee. Both of us gave the Coach House a nine, I could easily be talked into a 10. The service, as my friend said, was attentive but not intrusive. The only thing missing that night was the extra zing of excitement you get with a busy place. But that could have been the town the night, and the weather. The relaxed warmth and comfort was also welcome. Go.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

We had a charming albeit brief dinner at the Coach House Restaurant, a wonderful find in the area. We were pressed for time as my son had to be back on campus at a set time, and the staff were very understanding and accommodating. I look forward to another meal there soon with more time to sample the menu and the wine list. The food was excellent.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The Coach House has great ambiance, but you would want a window table as the inner tables when the restaurant is extremely busy is very noisy and you can't have a a conversation with your guests/family. The acoustics are very bad.

The entree items are limited for dinner and not a very good selection. The appetizers are just ordinary and nothing special. It would be great if more effort was put into the dinner entree selections and changed every few weeks. Never order mushrooms with your beef selection as they are awful for an additional cost. The green beans are also horrible when served with entree's and are hard and not cut on the ends.

We use to enjoy this location for dinner, but until the chef's selections are improved we will not return with our family or friends until it truly improves.

The wait staff is excellent and could not be more accommodating to you.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

We've dined here three times previously in the last few years and enjoyed it thoroughly. Sad to say that our experience this past Saturday was not what we expected, which was unfortunate as we were celebrating my mother-in- law's 91st birthday. She has a deep, sentimental attachment to the Inn, as she and her husband owned it years ago.

The Inn is lovely. Our waitress was pleasant and polished. We all ordered the lobster bisque, which was excellent. My husband ordered the shrimp and scallops, which was beautifully presented and delicious. Unfortunately the short ribs my mother in law and I ordered were not up to standards.

The potatoes served with the entree were cold and the vegetables lukewarm. We flagged down a waitress and politely sent the plates back. After a reasonable length of time, another employee (perhaps a manager?) brought the plates back and plunked them down, clearly annoyed. Having been in the hospitality business for decades, I would have stayed a moment while we sampled the new meal, but she just left. Service recovery opportunity missed. Meal delivered with attitude. Unprofessional and rude.

The potatoes and vegetables were still lukewarm, but we gave up. When we cut into the short rib, we considered asking for steak knives. Short rib is a fatty cut that requires long, slow braising, which this clearly didn't receive. Basic cooking skills 101.

So, if we return, I'll order something else. We were disappointed with the meal, but more so with the lack of professionalism in the kitchen and member of management. . Our waitress was the only person who showed any concern; it wasn't her fault and we tipped her well

2  Thank 82randomtraveler
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

We've eaten here before, several years ago, and since then the restaurant has changed hands. We made reservations on-line for their special New Years dinner with a fixed price of $85/person, not including alcohol, and gratuity.

It was a 3 course dinner, with a complementary glass of champagne and dessert. I hadn't been feeling well for the entire week before, and food of any sort didn't sound appealing, however, I knew if it was excellent food, I'd return to the world of eating food again. Our meal started with rosemary bread, which was baked to perfection, with a soft center and a crusty outside.

My wife started with the grilled scallops and I had a bowl of lobster bisque. There were only 2 scallops, however, they were just right. My bisque was some of the best I've had for a while, and a whole piece of lobster claw meat topped the serving. While the claw meat was a very nice touch, cutting it into manageable bite-size pieces in a soup bowl proved challenging.

The salad course was also good, covered with a subtle, but flavorful, dressing that had a hint of horseradish. It also had a slice of Champlain cream cheese and roasted grapes, which didn't sound appealing to me, but the combination was great (especially with a glass of wine), and I ate the whole thing!

We both ordered the filet mignon over potatoes with asparagus (I'm simplifying here, it was much more elegant than I've described). The entree was excellent, and the meat cooked to perfection. The only niggle was that my entree arrived mildly warm... 20-30 degrees warmer would have been much better.

Thomas, our waiter, was spot on with the timing of our food, not rushed, but not too slow either. He remained attentive throughout the meal. Our total bill including gratuity, which was automatically included, came out to $266. We felt it was a great evening, and a wonderful way to start the New Year! We'd wholeheartedly recommend eating here for a great sophisticated meal.