“Great Food - Odd Service?”
Review of Bantam Grill

Bantam Grill
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2018

We come from out of town (haha - Keene - 30 minutes away), but that is always what is feels like when we dine here. I saw a previous review with the same complaint - we walk in without reservations (we were doing something - could not get a set time) and it was like we messed everything up for the hostess/restaurant. She immediately went to see if the bar was open (without asking us) to see if we could eat there. Then she came back and we said we don't want to eat our meal at the bar, we would wait for a table - this threw her off. She said - with no thought - 45 minutes. We were fine with that, in no rush. There is no place to wait, so naturally like all other restaurants - you go to the bar to have a drink before dinner. This was another no, no. Those seats are sort of only for dinner. Eventually, we just sat there because we said we would order an appetizer. We start to realize that everyone knows everyone and everyone is 40+. I am 31 (my wife 26) and we were treated oddly. I know that in the Monadnock region that younger professionals are few and far between (sadly) but this was bizarre. One older couple sitting next to us at the bar (they were eating dinner) asked the bartender if people always just walked up to the bar - what??? It is that way everywhere else in the USA. That is what a bar is for - ordering drinks and socializing - this isn't an at home breakfast bar.

On to everything else - awesome! Food was excellent, very well priced, waitress was great.

I guess, my point to this review, make sure you have reservations (even though there website says you can walk in). *** We also saw the hostess turn a couple away later, even though it was probably minutes away from table being open.

1  Thank Eric O

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Attentive service, nice menu and cozy atmosphere. The waitress immediately sat us at the one empty table and brought drinks promptly. Both meals cooked to perfection and not rushed while having a few glasses of wine, Will be back.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

We've eaten here a number of times. This is probably on of the few restaurants that I always eat something different even if I loved the last meal.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

This restaurant has a varied lunch and dinner menu complimented with daily specials that will satisfy most patrons. I have always found the food to be well prepared and the bar menu offers interesting cocktails and very drinkable wine at good prices. The service is far better than what you would expect in a mid-price restaurant. Certainly worth a try if you are in the area.

1  Thank Ccpia
Reviewed 16 February 2018

My dad, sister, and I ate lunch here for Valentine's Day. We eat here fairly often and it was as delicious as always. My dad had their grilled cheese sandwich, I had the cheeseburger, and my sister had the Fettuccine Alfredo. She often has the fettuccine and loves it, especially the homemade pasta. Their cheeseburgers are wonderful, and they make the best french fries I've ever eaten. I can't eat burgers anywhere else now as Bantam's burgers have spoiled me forever. We also enjoyed having the Stowaway IPA. Wait staff is very fun and friendly. Always have a good time here.