“A New Neighborhood Gem”

Currents Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 22 Restaurants in Rye
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Description: Fresh and Local! Award winning food with live entertainment Thursday through Saturday. Friendly,comfortable and delicious! Come find us!
Reviewed 8 February 2016

The folks who own the Rye Harbor Lobster Pound, and who not only have direct access to incredibly fresh seafood and who have been garnering awards for it, have opened Currents. Located on Route 1 in Rye in a property that has had restaurants come and go. We hope this one is here to stay.

We ventured in recently on a chilly New England evening, and the warmth was everywhere. From waitperson to owner to the young musician holding court. The layout is a bit broken up, but don't be off-put by it. You can dine either in the main room/bar area, or on the enclosed entranceway/porch. Both are extremely casual and comfortable.

We can highly recommend the fluffy clam chowder, the shrimp scampi and the seafood medley. The menu also has chicken, steak, lobster and dishes with Asian and Mexican influences (not to mention intriguing specials), all seemingly sourced from the surrounding area. This is clearly going to be a favorite locavore haunt. It is, for us, already.

2  Thank NH_Guy

Reviewed 1 February 2016 via mobile

I am a regular of the Rye Lobster Pound in the summer so I have been looking forward to dining at Currents.
It was wonderful. I just love her lobster bisque and it was a treat having it in a glass bowl! (The Lobster Pound is a shack that serves food in disposable dining ware.)
Everything Sylvia prepares tastes delicious! We had a dinner salad full of veggies and a homemade flan.
The restaurant is still in it's infancy so keep this in mind. I am sure when the customer base builds it will be a competition for the other local restaurants.
The only thing missing was Max! (The dog. Ha ha)

2  Thank shawnmsw
Reviewed 24 January 2016

We recently made a trip from Florida back to NH for a family event and we stayed at the Rosewood Inn at Rye. Currents is located at the end of the motel parking lot and it was so convenient for us to just walk over there to enjoy what this new restaurant as to offer. Our hosts, Sylvia and Michael, made us feel welcome every time we walked through the door! We didn't know anything about Currents when we arrived but after our first meal there, we were hooked. Everything we ate there was delightfully delicious. We regret we couldn't stay long enough to try everything on the menu. If you don't like or can't eat seafood please, please, please order the Chicken Bacon Ranch Macaroni and Cheese! It is the BEST! My husband raves about the Fluffy Clam Chowder and it's probably a good thing we had to return to Florida or Currents would be our home away from home. This is a new restaurant and although they are still settling in they are doing a great job. Give them a try. Mike and Sylvia aim to please. You won't be disappointed!

4  Thank Mark I
Reviewed 13 January 2016

I fell in love with Currents on my first visit, it is a wonderful environment with a very friendly staff that is always all smiles. If you are looking for a restaurant that makes you feel like family, this is it. They have a fabulous bartender and amazing food that is reasonably priced.

2  Thank FarmersDaughter94
Reviewed 29 December 2015

It was Christmas Eve and we had just left church services. It was around 11:30 pm. We pulled over in front of Currents just to get a coat out of the back seat) - when the restaurant door opened and owner Mike waved us in. The closing time listed was 11. My friends and I thought, "Why not?"
It was a warm welcome. There were four other gentlemen at the bar. My friends and I enjoyed a White Russian, a Manhattan and a house special the Ginger Snap. We did not order food but I'm told the chef has won awards for her chowders. I look forward to returning another day to try out the menu. The restaurant had been open less than 2 months - the spirits were up and the staff was super-friendly!

1  Thank NextAdventure4