“Great food, quirky place”
Review of Mockingbird cafe

Mockingbird cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I have eaten at The Mockingbird Cafe maybe a dozen times for breakfast and once for lunch. The food is consistently excellent, with my favorite dish the “cleanup” scramble, though the pancakes are also excellent.

The things everyone should know before heading to Mockingbird Cafe:
- Mockingbird Cafe is BYO (think Mimosas!)
- Mockingbird Cafe is really very small. On days with good weather there’s a bunch of additional seating outside (wonderful and a charming setting) but during colder months or on a rainy day the seating in the restaurant is very limited. Drop by, put your name on the list, visit the shops nearby, but be prepared to wait. Sometimes a really long wait. And the wait staff, which tends to be super young, is not adept at encouraging folks to move on once they’ve completed their meals. So plan accordingly if you’re thinking Saturday or Sunday breakfast at a peak time.
- Mockingbird Cafe is not a super place for Gluten Free eaters (you can do it, but you skip stuff. There’s no Gluten Free toast or other baked goods for example). There’s also no alternatives to cow’s milk (Soy or Almond etc.).
- Mockingbird Cafe is tiny, but not flexible. Hot sauce is Sriracha (no other choices). No you cannot have your two eggs done two different ways, etc. One is left with the impression that a sole proprietor runs the kitchen and That’s The Way it Is.

And so when I read through that list of what you need to know above I seem negative. But the fact is that the food is excellent, the wait staff is young but trends to charming, and the food is excellent. Enjoy!

Reviewed 6 March 2018

I have had breakfast on several occasions at the Mockingbird Cafe, and lunch once. I had a very good experience each time. The cafe is right in downtown Basking Ridge, and there is generally plenty of street parking to be found on weekdays. The cafe has a very cozy ambiance - unlike some of the reviews stated, I did not find it to be dirty on any of my visits. There is really limited seating, but they do offer outdoor seating when the weather is nice, if they have enough staff to handle it.

Service isn't great - it seems to be slightly understaffed for how busy it generally gets - but on each visit I didn't have to wait too long, and my food was served hot. The food itself was delicious - the omelettes are very good, and the lemon ricotta pancakes are excellent. I'm not sure if I would ever try eating dinner here because it just strikes me as more of a breakfast joint, but I'll definitely be back for another visit!

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Been twice in the last six months, once for breakfast and once for lunch. Enjoyed both visits. In good weather, there is outside seating. Especially enjoyed the BLT sandwich. At breakfast, the muffins are nothing short of spectacular. You don’t feel rushed and you won’t leave feeling hungry.

Reviewed 17 December 2017

We used to love Mockingbird Cafe, but it has gone downhill. The last two times we have gone, the service was terrible. The high-school kids running the restaurant sat around talking, while tables sat empty and people waited at the door. This always happened but the food USED to make up for it.

Recently, they stopped selling biscuits because they only had enough for one dish. Why don't you make more? We went two months ago, my husbands and son's food arrived, mine never did. Twenty minutes later, they brought my food but we had already finished eating so I sent it back. The kid waiting on us gave us major attitude. She eventually apologized and said the restaurant was a mess because they didn't have a manager. We went again a couple of weeks ago and once again, food arrived at different times, and my husbands dish had obviously sat under a heat lamp for a very long time. It was dried out and completely inedible. We had to send it back and the waitress accused us of lying to her.

It is unfortunate that this restaurant has gone completely downhill. The service was always bad, but at least the food used to be good. Not anymore, the food is terrible. If this restaurant doesn't have a decent manager, where is the owner? Why do they allow this type of terrible service AND food in the heart of Basking Ridge.

We will never, never go again.

2  Thank rachelnyc36
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Been there a few times. Never had a bad meal. Laid back atmosphere and good service! They tend to fill up, but especially on the weekend.

1  Thank Zigmonster