“Nice Cuban Restaurant”

Spanish Olive Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 175 Restaurants in Brick
Price range: US$18 - US$35
Description: Classic Cuban and Latin dishes incorporating fresh seafood, lean meat and crisp vegetables. Made from scratch with local ingredients and love. Authentic recipes brought from 1962 Havana, Cuba to Valencia, Spain, then to Bayonne, New Jersey, and finally to Brick, New Jersey. Come and join in on our family's heritage!
Reviewed 9 October 2017

My wife and I went to dinner on a Sunday evening for dinner for our anniversary. This place is a BYOB and for about $7, they will make sangria right in front of you. The waitress brought out fruit in a small mason jar, which she muddled, and then poured it into a large glass pitcher with sugar, seltzer, and mango nectar, mixing it all all up after each ingredient she added. She then poured the wine in and again mixed everything up. The sangria tasted a bit watered down due to the amount of ice. I asked for some more sugar, which helped. My suggestion is though to not put so much water into the sangria mix.

Each meal comes with either soup or salad. My wife got the soup, which she loved and was a very generous portion. I chose the salad, which while on the small side, came with an amazing, lemon vinaigrette. The dressing had some a fresh taste to it - it was great. For our main meals, my wife had the ropa vieja, which was really good and I had the churrasco. The churrasco, which seemed to be a sirloin cut, had great flavor, but was overcooked - I ordered it medium, but it came out well done. The waitress asked me if I wanted to cut the steak while she was there to make sure it was cooked as I requested. When I noticed it was overcooked and advised her of this, she asked if I wanted a new steak. I told her I would taste it first and let her know. The waitress came back a few minutes later to ask whether I wanted them to recook my steak. I told her that while it was a little overcooked for my liking, it tasted good and there was no need for them to make me a new steak. The waitress apologized for the oversight and gave us a free dessert, which was a very nice gesture.

Each meal comes with soup or salad (as mentioned above), white or yellow rice, black beans, and plantains (tostones or maduros). We both had the yellow rice and beans (you could tell they were homemade and were flavorful) and I had the maduros (sweet plantains) and my wife had both the maduros and tostones (salty and almost like a potato chip). We both agreed that we liked the maduros a lot better. While we certainly did not leave hungry by any means, the portions were not huge. However, if you have an appetizer and/or dessert your appetite should be more than satisfied.

We had the tres leches cake, which were were told is made fresh daily, and was unbelievably good. When the bill came (it comes in a cigar box, which was a nice little touch) the waitress gave us a coupon for another free dessert because she said she felt bad the sangria wasn't exactly to our liking. I thought this was very nice of her/the restaurant and also a smart business decision. If we were iffy about coming back, or the sangria being watered down left a bad taste in our mouth (no pun intended), this is something that could have swayed us to coming back. My wife and I will definitely be back. The food was very good, the waitress/service was great, and the business is well run.

Please note that the restaurant is small and they do not take reservations. We went on a Sunday night and didn't have a problem getting a table. However, I am not sure how crowded it gets on a Saturday evening.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

My family and I (6 adults) had dinner there and it was great. Brought our own red wine and they turned it into sangria for 7 bucks(add everything they offer). It was really tasty. I had the red snapper and it was awesome. Crispy and flavorful. The soup that comes with the dinner is delicious too. Next time we're in town I'll be going back. The staff is extremely friendly too.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Have eaten at Spanish Olive on multiple occasions and each meal was never the same but always delicious. They flavors and combinations are original. You can't get this type of food at this price with the attention to detail and friendly service anywhere else. This is a BYOB restaurant with a difference. If you want Sangria, they provide three different options for turning your wine into make it on the spot Sangria. In the heat of summer, the Garlic Soup was too good to pass up. Anything with shellfish is cooked in inventive and flavorful ways. It's wonderful that the owner takes the time to say hello to every table. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

The first time I came to Spanish Olive I had no idea what to expect, but soon after arriving I saw that it was a friendly place, not at all pretentious, and a lot of fun! The tables are kind of close together along the wall and we were seated there with another couple that we came with. We became friendly with the table of 8 next to us and it became one big party!! Then the food came! Everything was delicious and all of us were glad we chose Spanish Olive for dinner that night! They will take your bottle of wine and make sangria for you with fresh fruit and all the fixin's-delicious! The owner Bob, comes around and talks to all the tables and he is a heck of a nice guy! He's retired from his job of 40 years and decided to open a Cuban restaurant and use his mother's recipes for the food he grew up on! Good idea Rob! Momma is a good cook! Rob's daughter and wife also work at the restaurant, so it's a family affair! I definitely recommend you try Spanish Olive! You will have a lot of fun and eat great food!

Reviewed 31 July 2017

I feel bad doing this one. Maybe it was an off night. Soup and bread were delicious, bu it was down hill after that. Arroz con pollo was dry and flavorless. Tostones portion was small. I have been to many Cuban restaurants and this one just did'nt cut it. I cant believe that is the best in the Point Pleasant area.

Just all is no bad, out server was very nice and attentive. We still tipped 20%.

Been to Spanish Olive Restaurant? Share your experiences!