“Great place for a night out!”
Review of Bar Americana

Bar Americana
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Americana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 85 Restaurants in Cranford
Description: Bar Americana is a contemporary gastropub located in the heart of downtown Cranford, New Jersey. Come for the food, stay for the atmosphere.
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Stopped in here recently with a few friends while visiting the area. The burgers are delicious, and the wine our waitress suggested was perfect. Not too crowded, but a nice upbeat and friendly environment. Try the nachos appetizer, you won't be sorry!

Hector A, Owner at Bar Americana, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dpento, glad you loved your burger and your server's recommendation! Hopefully, you and your friends will pay us another visit real soon. All the best till then! :)

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Nice bar with a decent happy hour. Gets a little loud at night with a younger crowd. Quiet during the day. Nice place to grab food and then catch the train into the city.

Management response:Responded 27 July 2017

Sorry for the occasional spike in volume, Dennis -- sometimes things can get a bit fun around here! I'm really happy you enjoy us enough to review, and it means a lot that you paid us a visit in the first place. Stop by again anytime you're in town.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

This location is a gastro pub, not a white table cloth restaurant. If you're looking for someone to fluff you napkin and fill your water every sip I suggest you go to another location.

It's an open layout with old original brick interior that I love as well as a large porch for outside music and seating. Service was casual, friendly, and relaxed, it's a Gastro pub not the Ritz. Had a great time learning about the local beers and trying them all.

Now I'm a huge gyro person and hate the processed version of it, this was not the junk. My gyro was fresh sliced slow roasted leg of lamb with all the goodies that come with it. Best I've had in years from any state mall over the US.

Dinner and drinks for 3 of us was about $130 before tip but we kept eating and drinking. You can get in and out on the cheap if you want but you're just missing out on all sorts if unique food. If you like bacon well you'll get your fill with almost a quarter pound in 2 slices as an app. Pork chicken and chorizo tacos with pico and cilantro on a steamed corn tortilla is a very nice trio.

Had the chance to speak directly with the owner Hector and he was most accommodating on a number of little samples of other things we missed. All in all a super cool location with great drinks and food.

Highly recommend this spot

Management response:Responded 3 June 2017

It was great to meet you, Taylor, and I'm thrilled that you and your group were happy with everything you tried. We're all about great food and brew around here, and we're glad that's what you're all about as well. So glad you loved the gyro -- that's one of my favorite dishes on our menu so that means a lot. That said, I sure hope you'll join us again soon to try even more from our menu.

All the best,

Reviewed 14 May 2017

Bottom Line:
Nice enough cantina / sports bar to stop in for a drink when you’re walking around lovely downtown Cranford. At least 10 screens running different sports. More screens outside. Food did not knock me out. Under-seasoned and overall underwhelming. Two Mohitos ($5 Happy Hour), Beef Tacos, Pretzels, and French Onion Soup. $40. Eh…I’m indifferent. Maybe I ordered wrong? Based on this experience, Come here or not.

Details:
Went for a walk to vent with my wife / best friend. Wound up at Bar Americana after we decided we deserved a drink. Lived in town for about 25 years, and have seen multiple iterations of this brick-faced eatery ever since it was originally the Coach and Four. It’s been an Italian restaurant, a Spanish Tapas joint, a few other various eateries / drinkeries, and now emerges as Bar Americana. The interior of this place has seen better days, and honestly reminded me of one of those side of the road tourist bars you see in Cancun. Chunky wooden tables that stand up to multiple Mojitos or pints of Miller Lite.

Onto the food… It’s Bar Americana. I saw Pretzels on the menu…so let’s order pretzels. Disappointed when they arrived, clearly a standard frozen product, and served with cold Nacho Cheese and mustard. Not much thought put into this classic bar snack, and for $8.95, someone should put their brain to it. Honestly, take a trip to The Standard Biergarten in NYC, and order a pretzel. Get creative. You’re missing an opportunity. Didn’t really understand the French Onion Soup either. It looked great, plenty of melted, yet caramelized cheese blend on top of a delicious crouton, but the base was weak. Not fake, mind you, but weak, celery-based and one dimensional. Yeah, I’m picky, but just a thoughtful adjustment to the base would make it a highlight, instead of a yawn. Same with the Beef Tacos. It was fine, but hit the beef with some classic seasoning (salt, pepper, cumin, chile, lime…something) and it would have been significantly improved. It wasn’t bad, but “not bad” is not what I’m looking for in town. I want this place to thrive. Such a great location. Can’t help but feel if they offered something “special”, it would be a home run instead of a sac fly, or a bunt. It got the job done, and maybe moved the bases, but there was nothing exciting about it. Oh, Bar Americana, I will be back, and I stay optimistic.

Management response:Responded 16 May 2017

Glad to see we got the job done, but I really hope we have you back soon, because I'd love for you to get a true taste of how delicious we are! We're committed to incredible, flavorful and fresh food with phenomenal service, and we'd love for you to see why we're so beloved locally!

Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

We chose this restaurant simply due to location but it was a pleasant surprise. There was a nice variety of apps and entrees. Seafood and meats were excellent and the apps were very tasty and more creative than we expected. A solid restaurant. We returned for Sunday brunch because we knew it would be a fine experience and served in a timely manner.

Management response:Responded 4 May 2017

Thank you so much for choosing us -- I love that we were able to so pleasantly surprise you! Reading this review was such a treat, as is knowing that you returned for our magnificent brunch!

Hector, Owner

Been to Bar Americana? Share your experiences!