Ramada by Wyndham East Orange
US$157
US$149
Hampton.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$166/night.

US$140
US$135
Agoda.com
US$143
US$118
HotelIndigo.com
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$147/night.

US$146
Courtyard
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$189/night.

US$101
US$137
Hilton.com
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$176/night.

US$149
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$193/night.

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We were on a road trip so the parking matters to us. We want to save the hassle of parking in NYC so we took a train from a station 5 mins away from the hotel. Basically we get what we paid for, the place is generally clean, but lifts are on the verge of breaking down, breakfast ok, service is also aceptable. would recommend to budget travellers. tribecamills.wa12tfcm@cloak.dyndns-mail.com

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I ended up at this hotel on a night of bad weather that left Newark in total disarray. People were staying in the airport, airline employees were screaming at people, people were crying, you get the picture. I used one of the airport kiosks to call several hotels and found only two that weren't booked for the night. They also offered me a small discount on the room to offset the cost of the cab because their shuttle wasn't in service. That was a very nice gesture. I took a taxi to the Ramada East Orange and the taxi driver, noting that I was alone, said to please not leave the hotel and wander around. When I arrived, the lobby had various people just hanging around inside to get out of the rain. The reception desk was behind what seemed to be bullet-proof glass (like bank tellers). The elevator had a very overwhelming marijuana smell and the hallway leading to my room had stained and damaged carpet and walls. My room was clean and quite new. The breakfast selection needs to be expanded. The choices were extremely limited. I think that if the common areas were also renovated, this could be a nice place to stay. If you are someone who just wants a place to stay inexpensively, this is a fine choice. If you are a woman alone, or if you have children, you might want to consider other options.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2011

If you're reading this review you must be considering staying here - that's most likely because you've worked out its pretty much the cheapest place to stay (especially at late notice) and see New York City, if you don't want to use the bus and you include the train fare into the equation.

Firstly - if you can afford to stay somewhere on the Subway or on the PATH then I strongly suggest you do so. This is the budget option for this trip and the quality matches.

Secondly - getting to New York - the hotel is a 5 minute quick walk or a 10 minute slow stroll from Brick Church Station on the New Jersey Transit system. The walk (back) crosses one main road (there are pedestrian crossings) and then is a straight walk along one street. The area is a little derelict but the street is well lit and quite a few cars go past at most times - I see no reason to consider it unsafe at all. Myself and my girlfriend walked back from the station 3 times well after midnight and had no problems at all.

From Brick Church it costs $6.25 (one way) and takes just under 25 minutes to get to New York Penn Station. The trains run pretty regularly through the day, and the last train back is around 1:30am - so if you're after late nights in the city and want to use the train, this isn't the hotel for you.

Thirdly - The hotel itself. It is my observation from Trip Advisor that Americans hold their hotels to significantly higher standards of cleanliness, service and just general upkeep than Europeans. For me personally, I thought the hotel was absolutely fine for the price we paid. The room was a good size, clean, cleaned every day, and contained a microwave and fridge. That said, both the reviews on here and the reactions of some guests we saw in the hotel suggest that it might not be up to everyone's standards. As I said before, if you can afford better you should pay the money - especially if you are the sort of person who complains about minor stuff like old stains on the sheets and peeling paint. Personally I think life is too short - but its subjective.

Fourthly - The Staff - This is where the hotel lets itself down very badly. With the exception of one of the desk staff (the older looking guy with the floppy hair) and the very pleasant cleaning crew - I quite literally have no words to describe them. "Useless" doesn't seem strong enough and seems to imply simply a lack of competence which, whilst accurate, says nothing of their seemingly total lack of devotion of customer service and a work ethic which is so none existent as to be almost amusing. If Ramada knew they were being represented by people with such a singular desire to be both unpleasant and unhelpful at the same time, there would be a serious remodelling of their staff training program. So, again, if you're the sort of person who finds fault with most hotels and is always down at reception asking for things changing or fixing, I strongly and seriously recommend you to any other hotel. If you're happy enough just to get on with your stay and accept that if something is wrong or broken it will remain that way - then again, this is the hotel for you.

Once again to summarise - if this is all you can afford and you want to see New York then stay here and make the most of it. It serves its purpose very well. Otherwise - look elsewhere.

I hope this review will be helpful. Enjoy your trip.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank StillJ
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My mom and I stayed here for a week. Breakfast was included. Great location, just a few minutes walk from the Brick Church train station.

We had a Queen double, large room, included a TV, free wifi and small but okay bathroom.

A few times our towels weren't taken away and the lift broke twice, but we would go back again.

We got the price per day at about £45, which for two people and breakfast, was really good.

Room Tip: Go left, you hit the high street basically.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2011

This was my second stay in this hotel. First was Sep/2010. The hotel is just perfect: close to the train station - 7 ~ 10 min walk from Brick Church - NJ Transit or a US$ 7 taxi fare ; breakfast is generous ; room is clean and very comfortable. In case you need (I hope you don't), the closest hospital is 1/2 mile away (East Orange General Hospital), where the staff is very friendly also. Unfortunately I made a stop to the hospital during my last trip...

This hotel is great if you want a low cost hotel for your next visit to NYC. The round trip train fare from Brick Church to NY Penn Station (42nd St.) is US$ 12.50 (as of Apr/2011).

Depending on the booking fare, you may be allowed for a hotel shuttle pickup at the Newark Airport (EWR). This is the ONLY problem at this hotel: the shuttle will take a very long time to appear to pick you up. Also, keep in mind that you need to take the airport tram (AirTrain) and go to terminal P4 (hotel courtesy pickup).

This is a great hotel for your next bodget trip to NYC! And will be my next hotel again!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple