“Good stay”

Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Edison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I visited the Sheraton Edison from December 22 to 25 with a Chinese tour group. A religious group had practically booked all the other rooms in the hotel, so it was very busy every time I went back to the hotel since the seminars would end and a group of people would try to use the elevators and practically all the floors were selected. The elevator seemed slow, there are 3 elevators and one of them goes all the way down to the pool.

In the lobby, there is a set of computers which allow you to log into the internet. There is also a computer next to the reception that looks up routes. I didn't pay for internet but if you would like internet service, you have to pay about $10 for 24hr service on a machine that you let reception to input the code. So it's not like this wifi is transferable between the different machines.

Our room was cleaned everyday. Our room had a nice LCD tv, and Starbucks coffee and bottles of water. My tour guide had said the bottle of water was for free but one says free and the other says $2, so that was a big confusing. The walls are pretty thin. We could hear our next door neighbor's morning call (which happened to be 3am), and kids running through the hall. But it was mainly quiet after 11pm, so sleep was fine. Our tub was fine and we got new towels.

We stayed here mainly because we were going to Manhattan, and the staff at reception were SUPER helpful. We got a shuttle van to take us to the closest train station which is Metuchen train station. It's about $11 to get to Penn Station in Manhattan (about 40-50 minutes). On the way back, you have to cross the street to get a taxi. The hotel had also offered to have a shuttle pick up. It costs about $12.50 from Metuchen station back to the hotel. There's another station called Metro Park, but this is further from the hotel. It costs about $18.50 to get to the hotel (unless I got ripped off).

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Tony L, Owner at Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Thank you very much for your stay with us and the feed back you provided. I am glad to hear that our staff was very helpful to your needs, however I do apologize for the noise issues that you had and the elevators being slow. I have checked the day you stayed with us and at that time we did have a large group that took up the entire hotel which I believe contributed to both . We look forward to when your travel brings you back to the area and hope you will be staying with us again. Please feel free on your next return to contact me. Warm Regards,

Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Can't complain about anything with the stay..it was a nice rest stop for the family after a full day site in NYC..nice and quiet room set away from all the action n the hotel..staff was very helpful..

• Stayed: December 2012
Tony L, General Manager at Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Thank you very much for your response during your most recent visit, we greatly appreciate the time you have taken to complete. Each comment is shared with our team at the hotel and reviewed to further improve our service standards and to also compliment our team on a job well done. We hope to see you in the near future . Have a Happy and Healthy Holiday season.
Tony Lucca General Manager.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

I stayed in the hotel for 7 nights. If it was just 1-2, I probably would ignore the little things. By night 7, it ended up with 3-star review. I stayed with a collegue and she had same pros/cons list with her room

Pros
- location (for my purposes)
- cleanliness
- very nice front desk stuff
- toiletries smelling good (many chains have a problem with that)

Cons
- WiFi $9.95 / day - really?.. it is 2012 and they charge $130+ per night, c'mon. Lucky for me, I was not a loyalty program member yet, so I was not charged for WiFi for this first stay after signing up. I'll have to pay the next time.

- Bed. Plain uncomfortable. I had the worst sleep the whole week. The sheets and comforter were not staying in place (never a problem for me), the mattress was just bad

My room did not have a fridge or a microwave (understood that it probably was not part of my company rate / $130 a night, but still added to the list inconveniences). Had my own instant coffee in the morning but used half-and-half cups in the room - they did not get replaced for 2 days, I had to go pick them up myself at the front desk. Again, not horrible, but left a sense of not wanting to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Tony L, General Manager at Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback during your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your full expectations regarding your bed and the replacment of your condiments for your coffee during your stay. I have spoken to our Director of Engineering and Director of Houskeeping to address both issues to ensure this will not reocurr in the future, additionally after reviewing both items have not experienced a regular reoccurrance to either of these. Once again thank you for your valued feedback and should your travels bring you back to the area I hope that we have an opportunity to make your next stay more pleasurable. Please contact me directly apon your return. Warm Regards,

Reviewed 12 December 2012

They claim to be 3.5 stars and may be that was true in the 1980's but this place has not been kept up. Had to put a towel in the tub, was so unsightly. 3 days there and 2 days without an elevator. Housekeeping did not provide additional toiletries or coffee.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra C

Thank you very much for your most recent response during your stay with us. I sincerely aplogize for the lack of housekeeping service and the challenges you had with the elevator. I have addressed both issues with our Director of Engineering and Director of Housekeeping to ensure they do not reoccur. We have also taken the necessary steps to recheck our elevator to ensure they are operating at their maxium proficiency, which they are. Once again thank you very much for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future. Warm Regards,

Reviewed 21 November 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a month while on business in New Jersey and New York.

It seems to be the highest quality hotel in the area, which is good, but it doesn't seem to measure up to other Sheraton properties.

Check-in was easy although frequently the automatic front doors are inoperable, making you struggle to open the door with your luggage in tow.

The rooms are OK, but the walls are pretty thin. I had a room that "adjoined" to another room and could frequently hear the person in the next room watching TV (at 5am, really!?) and a week or so later a couple having a heated argument.

The beds and pillows are comfortable, which made for a good night sleep. One day my room had a distinct "vomit" smell to it, but that went away after a few hours. Not sure what that was all about.

I didn't use the restaraunt, but the bar staff was a little rude. Not sure if they were actually rude or just had that NJ attitude. For instance I was there on a Sunday and wanted to watch a Denver football game (where I'm from) and I was the only one watching the sports on the TV. The bartender said that he couldn't change the channel as the game that was on was more "competetive", even though the Denver game was tied up! He just didn't want to change the channel for whatever reason.

In the end it's OK for the area, but nothing special.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Elevators, they are loud.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank FlyingSux
DPaez, General Manager at Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience while staying with us. Please be assured I will look into the issue with the bartender who would not change the television channel when you asked. We have several TV's in the bar and restaurant and if the game you requested was on a local channel there would be no reason not to switch stations. Your comments are very important to our success and I will be sure to share your review with the team. Please come back again when you plan your next trip to Edison.
Warm Regards,