“The best french onion soup I've ever had.”
Review of Rat's Restaurant

Rat's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rat's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 106 Restaurants in Hamilton
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Sculpture Way
Transit: Less than 3 miles from the Hamilton, NJ Amtrak/NJ Transit complex
Reviewed 22 April 2015

Two of us had the onion soup and another had the been soup. All three of us enjoyed our soup. One had a burgef and fries, another had an egg dish and I had PEI mussels in a sauce to die for. It was a saffron base with some leek, potato, and carrots. It was so outstanding that I asked for more bagette to dunk in it. We split two desserts which were excellent as well. The service was great too.

Reviewed 20 April 2015

We happened to overhear someone talking about this restaurant while eating breakfast at our hotel. So we looked it up and made a reservation. overall, it was delightful. We had the Brandade (salt cod cakes) and Grilled Octopus Salad for appetizers. The cakes were good but not very flavorful. The grilled octopus salad was delicious and huge for an appetizer. Neither appetizer was especially hot but we let it go. I ordered the Tasting of Lamb (seared lamb loin, lamb tartine, vegetable gratin, sauce vierge) and my husband had the Contre Filet (dry aged sirloin,creamed spinach, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, bone marrow butter.) The steak was pretty much perfect...flavorwise, cooked to perfection. The veggies were also fabulous. The Lamb came out barely warm. I sent it back and they sent out a new plate which was also barely warm again. The tartine was hot but the loin was not. I refused to have it taken back again. It was tasty just not hot. For dessert, I had Creme Brulee which came with an apple compote. The creme brulee was delicious but I did not feel that the apple compote added anything to it. I actually scraped it off.
Overall, the service was very good. I was very surprised, however, when one of the serving staff reached across me to reach my husband's plate. I figured that the staff had been trained to never do this. But it happened twice.
I am so done with overpriced restaurants that are disappointing but I would give this one another try. Rat's is quite expensive so we will have to either return for lunch or a special occasion, I would give it another try...even with the cold entree.

Reviewed 17 April 2015 via mobile

Everything I had was wonderful. My specialty drink was delicious! Not a big menus which is great! Locally grown vegetables and meat is organic. The desserts are wonderful also! We ate outside on the patio overlooking a wonderful pond! After or before you eat take a stroll through the wonderful sculpture garden!

1  Thank Bettyann M
Reviewed 9 April 2015

Two joys - Visiting the Grounds for Sculpture AND Rat's together is such fun. Having visited both during the last 20 years, I am never disappointed. I also spent an anniversary evening at Rat's, because it is a special experience to dine there. The food is very good to great; the service is professional and friendly; the setting is truly unique. Meals vary in price, so don't worry about the budget. And, if you go, don't forget to explore the restaurant and courtyard adjacent to it. It will make you smile.

Reviewed 5 April 2015

RAT’S RESTAURANT (FRENCH CUISINE)
EATING IN A PARADISE GARDEN
(NEW JERSEY’S’S HIDDEN BYWAYS I)

Have you ever had lunch in an impressionistic painting? If you have not, there is a place that resembles Claude Monet’s town of Giverny in France, where you can step into the world created by his art. The restaurant and surrounding gardens are in one of the most divine settings ever created, and it is in NEW JERSEY! This restaurant, RAT’S, is associated with the Grounds for Sculpture complex, which in itself is a sight for all to to behold. If you have been hiking, rambling, or doing all that we do in the GROUNDS FOR SCULPTURE, New Jersey, and are literally dying to rap your tonsils around some astounding Country French Cuisine, then you must go to RAT’S restaurant.
Some may say; This is NEW JERSEY, home of Pizza, Burgers, Fresh Fish, Shellfish, and all other fast foods. How good can a French oriented restaurant be, as compared to those back home? Well, you have to visit Rat’s Restaurant and get the truth. In all honesty, you must realize that there are many excellent restaurants in New Jersey, with Rat’s ranking among the top ten. My wife and I have been visiting the Grounds for Sculpture for a number of years, and this is our first, but not last, stop for lunch on every excursion to this venue. We always call ahead for reservations days before our arrival at Rat’s restaurant. Since we are originally from the New York/New Jersey region, we have a fairly good handle as to what a great French meal should taste like.
We travel 150 miles round trip to enjoy the Grounds for Sculpture and Rat’s Restaurant. It should be noted that the setting around Rat’s changes with the seasons, as new growth matures and fades into autumn, creating an ever changing palette of color.
Before continuing, I would like to provide all with the contact information. Be advised that they DO take advanced reservations for parties less than four people, and it is vital that you obtain these reservations, especially during the warmer months. Furthermore, this restaurant is open all year, but closed on Mondays.
This restaurant has received many awards and accolades over the years.

RAT’S RESTAURANT
16 FAIRGROUNDS ROAD
HAMILTON TOWNSHIP, NEW JERSEY 08619
(609) 584-7800

Before discussing the fine points of the menu, let me give the reader some caveats.
a. Since most people stay out on The Grounds for Sculpture as long as possible, try to have lunch before 1 PM. The later the hour, the greater the crowd and the wait for a table, therefore, obtain advanced reservations.
b. Seating is both inside and out, your choice. This choice is only viable if the outside tables are not occupied/reserved in advanced. We prefer the outside due to the soothing view over the pond out to the bridge.
c. The plates, and the portions, are quite large. Bring a good appetite or leave with a doggie bag.
d. There may be specials offered every day. Consult the aforementioned website for availability.
e. They do have a Liquor license, so wine, beer, and spirits (Foreign and Domestic) are being dispensed to all over the legal drinking age. Non alcoholic drinks, such as flavored lemonades, are also available.
f. Rat’s Restaurant can cater weddings and special events. Go to their website for details and contact information.

The Executive Chef in his kitchen must be a magician His/Her culinary creations, as well as knowledge of the layering of flavors, makes this a culinary adventure to be experienced, again and again and again. It should also be noted that your meal will be farm fresh, sourced locally.
When its comes down to choice, I always order the SHORT RIBS DAUBE, with roasted root vegetables, bacon horseradish butter, and gremolata. The Short Ribs are marinated and come to you so tender that you do not need a knife. During our latest visit two days ago, the short ribs were served on a bed of Polenta, which improved a dish that I thought could not be topped. My wife prefers the BURGER AU FROMAGE, with home smoked apple wood bacon, Gruyare, Provolone, Louie dressing, tomato, and red onions. This is one of those burgers that put all others to shame.
We have tried other items on the menu, such as the HERBS de PROVENCE CHICKEN, HOUSE CURED PASTRAMI, and their CROQUE MADAME (i.e. Parisian Ham with eggs), enjoying every bite.
I have not eaten my way through the entire menu, but from the positive reactions of people around us and the lines generated for a table, I can honestly say that this fine dining establishment is one to visit on numerous occasions.
Have a great meal and think of ALASKASEEKER when dining, because I wish I could join you.

ALASKASEEKER = (B.I.N.)