“An American Chinese restaurant”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mr Wonton Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 15 Restaurants in Hewitt
Reviewed 18 October 2016

This restaurant has both japanese and chinese dishes, but the chinese dishes are loaded with corn starch and sugar. It reminds me of a chinese american restaurant. The japanese food here is okay too.

Reviewed 1 July 2016

Place is VERY dirty, and at times, parking lot smells like a septic tank gone bad. You can see that they grow some things outside; not sanitary. We don't know how they are not closed down.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

First off, there are two Mr. Won Ton restaurants in the area. I do not know if it is the same Owner, but the one in Hewitt by the Sears, is inconsistent and overall not very good in my experience. We stopped going there after three poor meals.

However, the Mr. Won Ton on Marshall Hill Road is ok- and even above average for a few dishes. The Owner goes every week to his Newark Chinatown supplier to get his barbecued ducks. These are the delicious ducks that are displayed hanging in the windows of Chinese BBQ and Noodle Shops. At Mr. Won Ton on Marshall Hill Road, they remove the entire duck breast and serve it boneless with the delicious skin. Szechuan and Cantonese style duck dishes are good. They also make good non-greasy fresh egg roles and very good Spring roles. Since they also have Japanese cuisine on the menu, they have great miso soup with lots of seaweed and tofu. That's our usual- miso soup and Cantonese Duck- The Chinese style BBQ spare ribs are also reliably excellent - big and meaty and tender. We also think their shrimp with Lobster Sauce is as good as it gets- with big shrimps, perfectly cooked in the savory sauce with egg whites and peas. Not fancy- and nothing exotic- but absolutely fine for the price. This is decent inexpensive suburban Chinese food. Chinatown it is not... I wish they served whole ducks hacked up with the bones, like in Chinatown, and I wish they used more Chinese ingredients like black mushrooms, Chinese vegetables like watercress and bok choy, and mustard greens are entirely absent from the dishes. I have to say the Won Tons and dumplings here are amongst the worst I have ever had.... heavy- really dreadful.

Reviewed 31 May 2015

We ordered a simple Sesame Chicken, Veg lo-mein and Pork fried rice. Pretty simple right? Not at this place. The chicken was so overcooked you could hardly eat it. I had exactly 6 sesame seeds. The sauce on the chicken taste so bland I could only do 2 bites and in the trash it went. The lo-mein was so under cooked, some of it was crunchy. The veggies were almost mush. Definitely a frozen product. Good news is I did not even try the rice, it smelled bad. I called the restaurant and could not get any one to understand I was not happy. There are 2 of these in the town if you can believe it. Just do not know how they stay open. Should have known when it was a Wednesday night at 6pm and no one was seated or waiting for food.

1  Thank David D
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The food is bad. My chinese food is way better and tasty. It's good if you are preparing for a colonoscopy and need to clear your system out.

1  Thank katebrymom