“Delicious Ethiopian!”

Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 215 Restaurants in Montclair
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Park Street
Description: Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant of Montclair, NJ is a favorite for both vegans & meat lovers with its authentic Ethiopian food. All of our foods are prepared with imported Ethiopian spices prepared daily. The friendly staff and warm decor makes Mesob the perfect place to relax with family and friends. Our Injera, a delicious sourdough Ethiopian flat bread that you wrap your food with, makes Mesob a favorite with kids, where it’s a treat to “eat with your hands.” (but we also have silverware, if you prefer!)
Reviewed 15 January 2018

The food here was great! A few things were a little too spicy for us (we're babies), but everything had awesome flavor. As vegetarians, we felt there were plenty of options and portions were big. The owner also comes around to each table to ask how we enjoyed our meal which showed to us how much pride she takes in her restaurant. We would definitely come back.

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

A few of us got together to have dinner here. It was on a Friday night and it was busy. The service was great and the food came out rather quickly. We also loved that it is a BYOB. The food was absolutely delicious!

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

This was my first time to eat Ethiopian food! My family and I had the meat sampler for 4. It was a combination of 5 meats. One dish is lamb and one dish of chicken and three dishes made with ground beef of different seasonings. There were also 4 vegetable side dishes all served on a giant platter that was covered by injera (spongy sour dough crepe) and then the meat and veggi sauces put on top. Be forewarned that you will be eating with your bare hand so you might want to bring a few wet wipes and also wash your hands before eating. You take a small piece of injera and scoop/mop up one of the meat or veggi sauces and eat it. It is slightly spicy but not too hot (at least for me). At the end you eat the injera that was lining the platte and soaking up the sauces. Yum!! I really enjoyed the flavors of Ethiopian food and it was a good change-up from Indian or Caribbean food.

I highly recommend reservations for busy Friday or Saturday nights as the restaurant can be quite busy.

The price is a bit expensive considering three of the meat dishes were made with ground beef. The Shai Teas were tasty beverages (came unsweetened, as I like my tea) and one of my daughters had a honey water (carbonated honey beverage). Street parking is a bit tough even on weekend evenings. We found parking three blocks away. Might not be a fun walk on a rainy day but walking through downtown Montclair is nice. It is nice to see a small downtown making a comeback.

FYI, it is a BYOB restaurant. I don't drink so I don't know what they charge to uncork and provide glasses.

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Good food and awesome, friendly staff. Atmosphere is open and family-oriented. It’s BYOB, so you can pair any alcohol with your meal.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

This restaurant offers a warm and inviting atmosphere with exceptional food. We enjoy the communal experience of dining here with our adult children and their significant others. The staff is always attentive and available to answer any questions. One person in our party has gluten sensitivity and I called ahead and mentioned this. The chef made gluten-free injera bread. Because they are a BYOB we always enjoy bringing our favorite wine and highly recommend this restaurant.