“everything's phenomenal!”

Sabor Unido
Ranked #27 of 660 Restaurants in Newark
Price range: US$9 - US$21
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Delicious, super fresh food. Every side was so fresh and flavorful, simple without excess. Rice moist and flaky, beans super savory, seafood so fresh. We had shrimp and garlic sauce, shrimp was firm with a nice 'snap' when you take a bite. Whole grilled snapper was sumptuous and flavorful. Unpretentious and awesome!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

My husband discovered this wonderful place 2 summers ago. We have returned on numerous occasions, always eaten superbly, were served with diligence and warmth, and plan to return each time we are in the area. Not to miss: beef ribs, feijohada or the grilled fish. Really, anything off their menu you are sure to love. They also have a prime coffee machine.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

We were 4 people with little knowledge of Brazilian food. Fortunately our waiter was extremely helpful, explaining various dishes and suggesting some that he particularly liked. We followed his suggestions and enjoyed all -- squid, pork, chicken, and steak.

The place is small and unpretentious -- don't expect white table cloths. But you can expect good food and friendly service.

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

While heading home from New York we decided to have Portuguese food. Having eaten at some of the other restaurants in downtown Newark we looked for another to try and the reviews of Sabor Unido drew us in. We were not disappointed. We were warmly welcomed at the door, seated quickly and we ordered some fried squid while looking over the menu. After the calamari arrived we ordered a small order of the braised ribs and the special tripe and bean stew. The sides included spinach, roasted potatoes and white rice. The squid was delicious and served with lemon and a tomato based sauce. The main course portions were very generous and delicious. The tripe stew reminded me of a quality French cassoulet. The beef ribs were tasty and tender. Especially delicious was the spinach. Prepared perfectly and serve bright green with just the right amount of garlic flavor. We took home almost as much of the main courses as we consumed. We finished with the classic flan and coffee before heading on the road home to Maryland. Sabor Unido is close enough to New York and food so delicious we wouldn't think twice about coming for another meal when visiting family again.

1  Thank napman
Reviewed 21 June 2017

SABOR... My wife and I attended the Tom Petty show at the Pru in Newark last Friday and we were looking for a restaurant in close proximity. Luckily, I came across Sabor Unido (walking distance) and it is a BYOB! It is a very unassuming family run local restaurant. The mom does the cooking, the Dad is the host and their son waits the tables. Nice menu with some really great specials! I had the Whole Branzino and it came with Fried Potato slices. It was OUTSTANDING! Beautifully cooked with just the right herbs and spices.....wait for it... $20...! My wife had the oven roasted chicken with veggies and it was equally fabulous. Comfort food, well done and at a great price. All dinners come with he choice of two sides. Our total bill was less than $50....with a generous tip!! BTW....I can't get the Branzino out of my head and I am going back...even without a show at the PRU.

Been to Sabor Unido? Share your experiences!