“Spanish cuisine”
Review of Spanish Tavern

Spanish Tavern
Ranked #2 of 608 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North Ironbound
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

We came here (Newark Trip Advisor ranking #1), a Spanish cuisine restaurant to try Lobster Paella Valenciana)。We ordered a stir fried clam as our appetizer. The restaurant is well decorated be an elegant, upscale but still traditional, old fashioned. It’s quite, good layout, lighting, great dining atmosphere. No wonder the business is so good to have full house guests. All dishes are well prepared and perfectly cooked. The lobster paella is as good as the best paella we ever had. We certainly will come back to explore and more good foods in the future.

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely room that is surprisingly quiet even full. The servers were all terrific. The free soup on Saturday was a delicious potato leek. The appetizers of clams in garlic sauce were good but a tad spicy. Same for the shrimp and sausages. The seared bronzino was huge and very tasty. It came on the skin but no bones. The paella and mariscada were good. Full of seafood and a lobster tail. I think they both could have had a tad more spice. The baby lamb chops were a tad over cooked (asked for medium rare and got closer to medium) but still good. The dessert of creme brûlée was ok but not as creamy as others I’ve had.

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

This place is close to home. The food is great and so is the service. There is a bar that you can sit and eat if you dine alone.

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Just possible the best seafood dinner in my life. You will not be disappointed. The next time we are in Newark We will be back.

Reviewed 6 December 2017

Came on a business trip and had a dinner with some work colleagues who recommended. Frankly, not sure why, or perhaps I came on a bad night.

The shrimps which were served as appatizer were full of sand, couldn't eat them. This is a "red card" to any place who serves sea food as far as I am concerned, especialy for these prices.
The "rack of lambs" were 3 small pieces of lambs, which were just ok. I had much better lamb before for much less than $30.
Perhaps I had back luck but I don't understand what all the positive cheering is about, especially considering the prices level vs. food level.

Been to Spanish Tavern? Share your experiences!