“TERRIFIC Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteaks”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Original Steak and Hoagie
Ranked #7 of 31 Restaurants in Plainsboro
Cuisines: American
Description: Mostly A Takeout Food Place... Sandwhich Shop With Cheesesteaks Etc.
Reviewed 18 January 2017

I have really only had the Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteaks and French Fries. Both are excellent. To me this is not really a restaurant; more of a sandwich shop type place. Not much ambience, but it is clean and nice. When I been there around lunch time the place can be crowded.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

This place can be hit or miss. I've been eating here on and off for about 7 years. Lunch time during the week can be busy, but it's slow since they don't always seem to have enough staff to make the sandwiches. Even calling ahead will have you waiting once you get there.

As for the food quality, I would say it's above average, but nothing to write home about. The bread is good - just the right bite and chew to it to hold your cheese steak fillings. The steak is good quality. The chicken cheese steak is surprisingly good too (sometimes chicken can be dry).

They sell soup and of course plenty of variety of subs (hot and cold).

Reviewed 29 August 2016

By far my favorite sandwich shop in the NYC and Princeton area, a testament to how delicious the food is given the number of competing options available. Also the least expensive for seriously generous servings of meats, cheese, and vegetables on each grinder (hot sandwich) or hoagie (cold sandwich).

The bread is what sets the sandwiches here apart. Not sure if it is baked on premises, but on hot sandwiches, it is always warm, crisp on the outside, and moist and fluffy on the inside. Have taken sandwiches to NYC and the bread is still great when soggy.

For those looking for a "lighter" option, go for the Italian grinder. Otherwise, the buffalo chicken cheesesteak. Note the mini size is probably enough for one person. Staff is great as well.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

The sandwiches here are all good, particularly the steak or Italian sandwiches. But what sets this place apart is the bread. It is amazing. Skip the fries if you aren't eating there. They don't travel well. But you can't go wrong with any sandwich. The wings are OK as well.

Reviewed 5 July 2016

I was looking for something quick after an afternoon appointment and came across this place on the review sites. So many reviews said I had to try the buffalo chicken (some were specific to the cheesesteak) hoagie. I went with the regular buffalo chicken because I'm not in to American cheese. The sub tasted just like buffalo chicken dip - a little bit heavy - but tasty. I did the hot, rather than the mild or nuclear. It was just the right zip and spice for me. I like spicy food, but not overly spicy. The bread was soft. Ample portions; the most you need is a half. I also took home the side sampler, which was a variety of the fried appetizers -- jalapeno poppers, dino bites, mozarella sticks, chicken strips. Everything was decent, though none of it was the best I've had.

Anyhow, the sandwiches hit the spot. And they are the right price. I will be back again for quick dinners and lunches. I'd actually like to try their regular hoagies -- light on the sauces -- as I think they might be even better.

Service is fairly slow and there's like one and a half people working at any given time. Bonus though, they take credit cards with a minimum $10 purchase.