“Nice small cafe -great cakes”

Chez Alice Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #3 of 5 Bakeries in Princeton
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

While visiting Princeton University, I wanted somewhere to sit down and have a coffee. I struggled to find somewhere til I found Chez Alice. It's a pretty small place with seating for (I guess) no more than 30. There is also a small restroom.

The coffee was ok but the cakes and pastries looked amazing and the one I had tasted great. Maybe a bit more pricey than a Starbucks but much better selection of cakes (and I couldn't find a Starbucks).

Reviewed 17 July 2017

After walking around the square in the heat, it was refreshing to pop in this great cafe. I had the most delicious strawberry mint lemonade.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

I am from out of town and happened to stop in for dessert. I tried the Raspberry and Chocolate cake. I felt the need to write a review because it was the best Raspberry Chocolate cake I have ever had from anywhere. Well Done!

2  Thank Robert H
Reviewed 2 June 2017

Finding a niche in Princeton can be difficult with so many unique restaurants to choose from. In a town where people go for the one-off restaurants rather than the chains, it can be difficult to stand out, but Chez Alice does just that.

The roast beef sandwich was delicious and the staff readily accommodated my request for it to be on something other than whole grain bread. My daughter had soup and a quiche and both were excellent. The pastries were to die for.

Chez Alice has been here for more than twenty years and the word is that some of the bakers have been there that long, too.

Tucked into Palmer Square with many other small shops and restaurants, this is definitely worth a stop and a return visit.

1  Thank serenitywriter
Reviewed 10 February 2017

Well, I've been here several times in a past few weeks and their cakes (mango mousse cake, chocolate and white cake, etc) and other pastries are unbelievably yummy! The coffee quality varies, depending on who makes it. Also wasn't impressed by their soups but sandwiches are very good. The atmosphere inside is cozy (I love paintings on their walls) and warm so a nice spot to have a sweet spot or eat lunch quickly.