“Good Tapas”

Despana Foods From Spain
Reserve with OpenTable
Despana Foods From Spain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 214 Restaurants in Princeton
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

Had dinner at Despana in Princeton after a long day of meetings. We were a very large party. The food and service was pretty good with a couple of minor misses. The place specializes in Spanish cuisine, as in from Spain, just being clear. I happen to love Spain's food and wines, but the Spanish wine list, while not terrible, could be a little broader in scope. We tried many of the long list of Tapas selections and every one of them was creative and delicious, my favorite being the garlic shrimp. Expect to wait a bit for the freshly made Paella, they have several varieties, all made to order. I very much enjoyed the Paella Negra, blackened with squid ink which adds enormous flavor to the dish. The Paella Mixta was good, albeit served a tad dry for my taste. Service was very good, especially for such a large group.

Reviewed 12 April 2016 via mobile

The food was good although if we hadn't shared a bunch of tapas I don't think the paella for two would have been enough.
It was crowded and very loud and service was slow but our waitress was very nice .

Reviewed 11 April 2016

Small parking lot in the back. Make reservations! Downstairs is a deli-type setting, upstairs is the main restaurant. Ordered tapas, paella, and sangria. Loved the tapas, not a fan of the paella.. it was really WAY to pricey for the amount of rice and lack of meat in it. Sangria was very sweet like juice (did BYOB for the wine we mixed in). Tapas were the best though!

My suggestion: BYOB, have some tapas, get some sliced prosciutto on your way out.

Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

We visited Despana based on a personal recommendation, despite recent TA reviews. We should have heeded the latter.

The food is close to Spanish, but not quite there. I lived in Spain for many years, so have some experience.

A rundown: Decent patatas bravas;
excellent albondigas; calamari rings that tasted like those in Spain, which typically are frozen from a box; greasy cod fritters with a sauce that added little; and a paella. The latter seemed overdone, was lacking in flavor and could have used some shellfish. I even had to add salt... The cheese platter was good.

Unfortunately the prices are steep for the quality and don't represent value for money.

That said, the service was prompt, friendly and professional.

Overall though, I doubt we'll return.

Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

We ordered the pork and chicken rice dish for $35.00 as a take out item. I asked if there was enough for two people and was assured that there was enough for three.

Well I'm not sure what kind of person claims that less than ten ounces of rice will feed three people, but apparently the workers at this place do.

There was less than five pieces of meat in the dish. Maybe an ounce or two worth.

Do not eat here. You will be disappointed. Just because they are located in Princeton, they think they can over charge and make fools of the guests.

They lost my business and anyone who I can pass my experience on to. Hopefully they will close soon and a real Spanish restaurant can take its place.

I know you usually pay for the expediency of eating out, but for $35.00 I could have made fifty pounds of rice, and mine would have been much better.

Please do everyone a favor and close your doors.

These pictures show what a meal for two to three adult humans looks like.

Golf clap.