“I see they have had some rough reviews lately - however, my experience was very good!”

Big Fish Seafood Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Fish Seafood Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 214 Restaurants in Princeton
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Meadow Rd (MarketFair Mall)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I did not check TripAdvisor for the reviews on this place before I decided on a whim to stop in for dinner. I had driven by the place earlier on a Starbucks run and it looked interesting.

If I had checked the reviews first, I might
have chosen another spot. They had some pretty rough reviews the past few months.

In the end it all worked out fine. I was there about 9pm on a Friday. The place was not crowded and I was seated right away. The hostess and the waiter were pleasant, responsive and efficient.

They have a pretty diverse menu that includes steak, pasta and large salads in addition to all the seafood. They were all out of my first choice, the Arctic Char, so I went with potato encrusted Tilapia. As an appetizer I had their Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail. The appetizer, the warm bread and the main entree were very good. Well prepared and well presented.

It seems like at least for my visit that night, they are clearly focusing on addressing complaint areas called out in recent reviews. I would definitely come back when I return to the area.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

My wife and I have given this place more chances than we should have. We have watched it sink and then mysteriously resurface again and again, but enough is enough.

In reality, we should have left BF years ago, when Danielle quit. For those new to the area, she ran the place for well over a decade. She trained the purported "bar staff" as well as the "so called managers". She oversaw the food and bar orders when mgt proved to inept to do so. When mgt proved itself to be too incompetent to update the TV's, Danielle had her husband do it. We were there the night he did it. She even dusted the stupid fish that towers over the bar, something that probably hasn't been done since she left.

We visited recently for the first time in years (and the last forever). For the life of me, I don't know why. Probably since Ruth Chris's and Salt Creek Grill were overflowing and BF was a ghost town and there were ample seats at the bar. That should have been a warning. Anyhow, the HH wine (and other drinks) is still disappointing. Every competitor offers drinkable wine, but not BF. Even worse is the decline in the HH food. For years BF had the best HH wings. No more. Now they are not in the "top ten" along RT #1. In particular, Salt Creek Grill, BWW, etc are better. But it's neither the food nor the drinks that caused us to "check out forever" and delete BF from our phones. It's the lack of training and professionalism of the staff, from the purported bartenders to the managers themselves.

Tonight the BT's ignored all customers, preferring instead to talk about the boyfriends, who was getting sex, etc. The managers stood at the bar talking about alternate jobs they were considering, etc. Talk about a vote of non-confidence. Consequently, service was non existent. Why would anyone put out any effort knowing the managers were unhappy. We couldn't wait to leave.

In short, if the mall management is reading this review, we suggest they start advertising this space. There is ample reason to believe that it will be available in the not too distant future. Finally, if you feel this review is too complicated for you, let us simplify .... There is no reason to visit BF.

1  Thank mazolia
Reviewed 7 May 2018

Big Fish Seafood Bistro is another restaurant in Market Fair on Route 1S we like to visit because has been consistent over time. The menu changes frequently due to what is in season, their seafood and fish dishes have always been fresh and well prepared; the service a hit or miss. We have also enjoyed their Happy Hour which offers Martinis for @$5, draft beer for $3 and a selection of small plates for under $5. Among my favorite dishes here are their Crab Cakes, Big Shrimp Trio and their Plank Salmon, although any selection from the Daily Catch is always good!

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Went in with 3 kids early in the evening (6pm) on a Saturday night (5/5). Had a reservation and even though restaurant was empty-ish, hostess sat us at probably the worst table in restaurant, in front of the kitchen doors. Very bad customer service and not a smart way to treat customers. Also, even though we were there first, they sat a couple ahead of us before. When I raised an eyebrow at that, hostess had attitude.

On plus side, the waiter was really genuinely friendly and nice. Wish I knew his name to give a personal shout out to him.

Food was decent. The jalapeño biscuits were delicious. Nice children’s menu.

Reviewed 21 April 2018

Excellent food and excellent service! This was the second time I’ve been there and both times I have been impressed by the food and the staff!