“A Special Place For You and Your Special Person”
Review of Cafe Matisse

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Highland Cross
Description: Cafe Matisse’s mission is to provide our patrons with a fine dining experience in an elegant yet casual, convivial atmosphere. We strive to address every detail and exceed expectations to create an experience that is truly a departure from the ordinary. Chef Owner Peter Loria’s hand crafted dishes are presented in either a three or a four course grazing menu option. We look forward to providing you and your guests with a special evening to remember! Nestled in a renovated circa 1898 firehouse, Café Matisse’s elegant dining room is adorned with Matisse silhouettes and bejeweled chandeliers. Our European courtyard, complete with romantic water features, is open each summer season from May 15th through October 15th.
Reviewed 15 February 2016

Where do I begin - this restaurant is what I use to judge all other restaurants by. I, so far, have not found one better. Food is outstanding and is worth every penny you pay for it. A four course tasting menu will run you about $95/pp and the restaurant is BYOB so you're not going to get ripped off with a huge bar bill. My wife and I are always amazed at Chef Peter's dishes. We joke that we'd like to know what he was smoking when he created them. At first you think, his combination of foods will never work and then he knocks your socks off. Service is impeccable. The manager, Larry, and his staff are attentive yet unobtrusive. A very special place to take that very special person. This place is so special, my wife and I got married there almost 14 years ago (they closed the restaurant for the occasion). We return every August to celebrate our anniversary in their garden. We were there last night for Valentine's Day. A must try if you are a foodie!!!

Reviewed 13 February 2016

I first heard about this restaurant when I read an article a while back that it was rated one of the top 100 most romantic restaurants in the US. I gave it a chuckle since it was located in Rutherford, NJ. However, when I read it a year later that it was rated one of the top 100 again, I was really intrigued.
Finally, we paid a visit to this place. It is open for dinner only and is BYOB.
We were only brought in the front room but I immediately enjoyed the artistic decor of the room. The atmosphere is very cozy and relaxing.
The restaurant only provided tasting menu option with 3, 4, 5 courses (each including a dessert). The actual dishes are supposed to change We opted for the 5 courses option to share since I have been cutting down on dessert.
The service is very good and the food is very tasty with beautiful presentation. Each savory portion is close to an appetizer. We had a bit concern initially to see if the four savory portions would be enough for the two of us. At the end, we felt the food was about the right size as what we have ordered were quite filling and rich in flavor. We could probably do a bit more after but we were quite content by the time we left.
The restaurant did not offer any bread, maybe we could ask for it next time.
I now look forward to going back to this place in summer time to visit its garden and try new things on the menu.

Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

I have been longing to try Cafe Matisse! Finally, we were there for my husband's bday. We got there at 5:30PM. Nobody but us. Then around. 6PM, three walked in. The place is small but cozy. The BYOB was good but the prefix dinner were not worth it. First of all I do not like desserts. We only ordered three course meal for. 68.00 each, not bad. The presentation was beautiful but the portions were too small even for me. My husband also is a very small eater, he could not even finished 6 oz filet. This one here the filet was about the size of a golf ball and there was grizzle. So not much left!
In my opinion, make it ala carte and I am sure they make more money! I will try them again soon.

1  Thank peony09
Reviewed 5 February 2016

It was my first time visiting this restaurant on 1/13 - the restaurant is open for dinner only and is BYOB. I did the 4 dish option - Foie de Gras and Lamb Shanks were incredible. The waiter takes the order up front and sequences the dishes as soon as the order is taken. I must say everything was perfect. It is a fixed menu - and all the dishes are in savory portions. Each dish was cooked to perfection. The interior decor is very nice and for 2 hours I was transported to Europe - I forgot I was in Rutherford, NJ. Excellent service. This is now my go to place for special occasions.

Reviewed 4 February 2016

We went here for dinner to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary. It was just delicious. I really want to go back in the spring to sit outside. It looks like a midsummer night's dream. I am just so happy I don't have to go into NYC to get a 5 star dining experience. This is the perfect spot for a really special occasion.