“Wine and tapas - what more could one want in the afternoon?”
Review of Albarino

Albarino
Reserve with OpenTable
Albarino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 35 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Reviewed 8 February 2018

After a matinee performance at the Two River Theater in Red Bank, we decided to try Albarino, which was not far away. My ulterior motive was to continue to seek "Patatas Bravas" like those I greatly enjoyed in Barcelona. I've ordered then in a few stateside restaurants but have yet to match the experience. The bar at late afternoon was moderately busy but not particularly noisy. Wine by the glass was reasonably priced. To accompany the wine we ordered a beet and goat cheese salad (Remolaca), some croquetas and, of course, patatas bravas. Every thing was enjoyable but unfortunately the patatas bravas were not as good as I would have liked. I don't believe the potatoes were cooked in the most traditional style, and the aioli was underwhelming and a bit sparse. However the ambiance was such that we probably will return to try more menu items and drink more wine.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

We just tried Albarino in Shrewsbury, NJ recently. We had heard that it can get quite crowded and noisy during the weekend, so we decided to go midweek. We were able to get in just fine since we went close to 6pm - started getting busier a bit later.

The atmosphere is very attractive. It is nice for a couple, a few friends, etc. but would not recommend for children. They specialize in serving Tapas type dishes which are fun to share at the table.

There were 3 of us. We ordered the Pulpo a la Parilla (grilled octopus) which was very good, croquettes (tasty and cheesy inside but unlike authentic croquettes I've had thoughtout Spain, the meat and cheese (Mixto Board) was probably my favorite - came with a selection of 3 Spanish cheeses, 3 Spanish cured meats inlcluding Jamon Iberico, a few pieces of date/nut bread bread, Marcona almonds, membrillo and honey. We also ordered as a main course in order to have more to share, the gnocchi entre which was very good but I would have been happier getting it in a tapas size and trying something else, we had the beet salad which was also very good.

The wines range from about $35 on up. We had a very decent (good value) Spanish, I believe it was a Garnacha blend which was $40 and our guest had a freshly made lemonade. BTW, we found out that they sell their wines for one to take home at a very good price. So the $40 wine which we enjoyed was $15 for purchase to consume outside the restaurant. They also had a wine flight which we did not try but might be fun and a good way to sample 3 different wines for the price of a regular glass of wine. The restaurant has a sommelier which was very nice and seems to be very knowledgeable.

To finish it off, we ordered some churros with hot chocolate which were easy to share among the 3 of us. They were freshly made and it was a good ending to the meal. They also had some other appealing desserts such as Crema Catalana, which might be good to try on a different occasion.

As I said, I don't feel the place is well suited for family's with young children since it is more of a bar atmosphere and pretty lively - better for couples. This restaurant is a nice addition to our local restaurant scene.

The bill including the wine came to $142 for the 3 of us. We weren't stuffed but we also were not hungry. Not inexpensive but for the quality of the food and the experience, I felt it was worth it. I plan on returning and will update further on dining there a second time and on any new dishes were try.

I hope you find the review helpful!

Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

Went to Albarino with very high expectations, we drive by and see the place packed every night. I’ve travelled through Spain and have had my fair share of paella and tapas to compare. I thought the food was good, but I’ve had better, definitely not good enough for the price you pay. It’s nice to have this option, as it is hard to find this cuisine in the area, but it won’t be a frequent stop.

Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Last night was our first dinner at Albarino and my husband and I thought it was an all around great experience. We ordered several of the tapas dishes and I ordered the braised lamb shank (was a special) and it was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! The wine was great too! And if you still have room for dessert you have to order the toffee cake. It was one of the best tasting desserts I've ever eaten.

It was so good my husband went back again tonight and we're already making plans with friends to go back.

Oh and the service was great even though they were packed the entire time we were there. Mike the bar tender was awesome too!

A++++

Reviewed 1 January 2018

This was my second time there and it was just as good as the first time. The lunch menu is lighter in options than the dinner menu, but they have the same drinks menu, which is quite nice. If you like a little fire in your drink I recommend the Poquito Piquante. It's tequila based, not overly sweet and has a little heat from the Jalapeño. We had a bunch of tapas: Charcuteria plate, Croquetas, Patatas Bravas, Eggplant, but the best thing we had was the Pulpo (octopus). We liked it so much, we ordered it twice! Service was good, but this is not a place where you go to eat and run. Bring your appetite and your time. If you reserve with Open Table, make sure they capture your information, as at first, they said I hadn't shown up for the reservation.