“Viva El Tipico”
Review of El Tipico

El Tipico
Ranked #19 of 73 Restaurants in Somers Point
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

My wife and I visited El Tipico thinking we would get run of the mill Mexican food to tide us over till dinner. Boy were we surprised. Not only is the place well decorated but the food and service were great. I had a "Wet Burrito" with steak filling and it was prepared well including the mole sauce and added jalapeno peppers I requested. When paired with rice and refried beans it was all I could do to finish the meal. My wife had shrimp fajitas with rice and refried beans and she couldn't finish it all. The service was excellent even though the restaurant was crowded. My one complaint was the beverage options. You can bring your own wine or beer or select from a slim list of drinks they offer. I was surprised the unsweetened ice tea was in bottle form and not brewed there. It was a small price to pay for a truly tasty mexican meal. We hope to return soon with our own beverages.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Second time there and it was another delicious meal. Good service with good size portions. Won't hesitate to return.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Food and the service was great. Very authentic mexican food. Wonderful way to spend cinco de mayo.

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

From Tex-Mex basics like quesadillas and burritos to spicy shrimp with cactus or chicken with a traditional mole, you can’t go wrong. We also tried the seafood special in a super spicy green sauce. Imported Mexican sodas in all flavors are available— a fun twist. We didn’t get to try dessert, but I’d bet the flan is great. Good value for money. Service was lovely. I’ll be back.

BYOB (they have mixers like margarita if you bring your own tequila!)

NB: the reviews that say there is no flavor—nothing could be further from the truth on the dishes we tried.

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

My wife and I finally got to enjoy a terrific Mexican dinner at El Tipico. We've been buying pizza at Michelli's which they own, but never visited the adjoining restaurant. Sorry we waited so long. The service was prompt and friendly and the food inspiring. My wife had the soft taco dinner and I had a shrimp burrito. Both excellent! The only drawback was you need to bring an appetite because the servings are more than ample.