“Great local place”

Portuguese Fisherman
Reserve with OpenTable
Portuguese Fisherman is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in South River
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 December 2017

Ordered the tri-tip steak, a special of the day. It came with 3 sides and was a huge portion. The steak was well cooked, the rice and beans were good and the broccoli...well it was broccoli. Nice atmosphere, lots of locals and many great food options on a well developed menu. Sat at the bar since dining alone and the service was adequate from a busy bartender.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

A great restaurant for Portuguese food in a local area.
I love their seafood dish that comes in a pot.
It is a combination of lobster, clam, mussels and fish in a sauce.
I cannot pronounce the name of the dish so I just call it Messy stuff.
Make sure you get napkins.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Great physical space and outstanding service. Seafood is outstanding. I could have made a meal on the bread alone. Nothing bad on the menu! Look for the daily specials - you won't go wrong. Go hungry - super size platters.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

My husband, my son and I had dinner here last night. We called before coming to make sure there's space, and they took our reservation. Wait staff was attentive and friendly. Bread was moist, and the sangria was delicious. The salad was served with the dressing on the side. We had the whole branzino (spelling?) fish, sirloin, and the Black Angus served with green beans, saffron rice, and Spanish potatoes. So tasty! We've had Portuguese food in other places and found the quality and their method of cooking is far better than other places. For dessert, my husband had orange sorbet and my son had lemon sorbet. I had Portuguese coffee and it was amazing! What a savory meal! We'll be back!

Reviewed 31 July 2017

I have dined at this restaurant on numerous occasions either on a Sunday or weekday. The food is very good although I must admit the bread leaves something to be desired. This time we went on a Saturday night and sat in the dining room to the extreme right. I have never experienced such a noisy room in my entire life. People had to scream in order to be heard. What a terrible distraction from a good dinner. We will not return to the restaurant ever again on a Saturday evening. The hardwood floors, bare walls and high ceiling together with a room full of people was disastrous. Never Again.!!!!