“Overcharged during Hurricane Sandy”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Vineland
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I was overchaged for a total amount of $57.78 for rental at the Econo Lodge in Vineland, NJ. We had to evacuate where I lived because of "Sandy." We preregistered with Econo Lodge in Vineland, NJ and arrived prior to the storm with a rate of $45.00 (senior citizen rate) with $15,00 additional per dog. Since I had 2 dogs my daily rate should have been $75.00 per day. Two day total $150.00. According to their site there was a $15.00 tax and miscellaneous fee for 2 days so my total should have been $165.00. I was actually charged $186.28 - an overcharge of $21.28. We were forced to stay an additional day because of the storm and I was charged $126.50 - which was clearly an overcharge of $36.50 since the law clearly states that since Governor Christie declared New Jersey a Disaster Area hotels were not permitted by law to raise the rental rates for someone who had to extend their stay. I did question the Manager about the rate and was told they felt they were within their rights to raise the rates because of the storm and their were no rooms for people plus that other hotels in the area were doing the same. I explained the law as it pertains to an area being declared a Disaster Area but she told me that wasn't true.. She explaiend that they charged 15% tax and miscellaneous expenses. I told he her site clearly showed a $15.00 fee and not a percentage. It clearly didn't matter to her. It is grossly unfair for people to take advantage of others when a disaster strikes. This is a poor way of doing business and I recommend that people rent any place other than Econo Lodge. I am making a formal Consumer Complaint with the State of New Jersey against Econo Lodge.

Room Tip: Be prepared for disasters/storms. Research where you can stay and get rates and charges in writing...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 November 2012

we were told to leave our homes due to mandatory evacuation. Exposed wiring in heater air conditioner. Doors do not lock had to use a block of wood and a bar. Strange and eerie people hanging around. They probably live there. I was afraid to walk the dog. Price gouging. no continental breakfast as advertised. I cant believe Econo Lodge/ Choice Hotels allows there name on this place. Outside a pool is covered with roofing material which is nailed down. The plastic that was once under the stones is all loose. Animal feces never cleaned up. i used my perfume to try to get smell from room. when i was allowed back home the first thing I did was give the dog a bath.

Room Tip: No restaurant as advertised. No pool. noise was from people who seem to live at this motel. I have p...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol S
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I evacuated to Econo Lodge in a hurry because of Hurricane Sandy. The prices were ridiculously high, the staff was rude and ignorant, and the rooms were NASTY!!!!! No air conditioning or heat, the fridge didn't work, no blow dryer or coffee maker, the sheets smelled like urine, no wifi, and just dirty All over. Do not spend a dime here.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 30 August 2012

After getting the bait and switch I decided I'd rather stay anywhere else. I'm sure I wasnt missing much as it looks like project style crack house apartments. The front desk (old middle eastern lady) was extremely rude and up charged me $50 when I got there! I travel and stay in hotels 250 days/ year and trust me this was as bad and unscrupulous as the hotel industry has ever been for me. If you are crazy and stay here check your acct for billing SUPRISES!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We had no choice but to stay here when a tornado hit the area and "most" of Vineland was without power. They charged us $190 for one night, wouldn't accept my AAA card and after leaving, we found out, we had been charged for 4 cats (which we don't own) and for another person. It was only my husband and I. The room was soooooo nasty. The curtain was falling from the sliding door and the balconies connect. The person staying next to us could have climbed onto our balcony and came right into our room. The AC would not get the room cool, we had 1 TV channel. No coffee pots, no clock, nothing! I contacted the manager and they were so ignorant and contradicted themselves over and over. This hotel is well known for prostitutes and drug activity. So anyone who wants to stay here, do so at your own risk!

Room Tip: Don't stay here "PERIOD."
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank hoosierladyus48
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vineland
0.4 km away
2.0 km away
Ramada Vineland Millville Area
1.9 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Vineland

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!